Jump to content

Where is everyone going on Summer Vacation now that Covid is on the decline?


Recommended Posts

Anyone notice how all of these business's and state governments are trying to get all of their Covid loss's back in one fell swoop?  Overnight almost?  Bastards.  Well, we are going to drive to Montauk.  I could not find a car rental for under $700 for an SUV.  Cars over $500.  Two years ago it was $200-$300 a week!   I am paying $450 a night for a hotel.  They should have a good bottle of red from Paris or Napa Valley on my nightstand but I am dreaming.   So the site of the TV series "The Affair" which was on Showtime.  It was really good first two seasons and Montauk was the setting.  The Hamptons of course were often mentioned.

 

So is anyone going anywhere?  I hope you can find a good deal.  The airlines are up there too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got back from Iceland.  Half the businesses are still closed, all tourist info and travel agencies have closed doors and the bus only runs from the airport to town - not the other way (you have to hire a taxi to catch your flight back to the States - and that costs $140 US).  They just opened back up for tourists the week before I got there, so lots of inconsistencies and hurdles.  The only tourists there are Americans!

I was planning to go to Croatia next, but I have to cover work for a co-worker who has to take a family emergency trip.

Hoping to go to Croatia or Spain this Fall.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know we all are very much eager to go out. But sadly the decline of Covid is apparent. Third wave will hit us soon around August-September.  After the first wave there was a decline. So people took that chance to venture out. And corona took that chance for the second time.  So we can have a little bit more patience may be. And by the next year everything will be fine once again!:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nowhere, and never do.  Just like you I live in a State with a 8-12 week Summer.  Why go anywhere else ?  I also stay home for all three Summer holidays (Memorial, the 4th, and Labor day).  Let the fools drive up North and sit in a 5 hour traffic jam.  Not interested, and I've done it all before when I was young and stupid.  My trips always occur after Labor Day when the kids are back in school.  Nat'l Parks are less crowded, only a 1/3 of the people on the road, cheaper hotels, and cheaper gas.  The less people the better I like it.  I still daydream and muse about the day I had in Yellowstone 3 years ago in September.  Left Jackson Hole in the early morning, headed into Yellowstone, and didn't see another car on the road for at least a half hour.  I had the feeling the entire park was mine.  That's my idea of awesome, and during the last year I've pondered how long it will be until I get to do that again under the same conditions, if ever.  Retirement was the best 5 years of my life until it was rudely interrupted by everyone else. Time to stop the incentives to not work.

    

Quote

 Anyone notice how all of these business's and state governments are trying to get all of their Covid loss's back in one fell swoop?  Overnight almost?  Bastards.   

And they will, because most people are stupid.  Hey, let's overpay for an RV and go sit it in an overcrowded, over-priced campground where your noisy rude neighbor is twice as close as your neighbor at home.  Sounds like a winner !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brigante said:

Nowhere. There's no point - I'd only have to come back to this sinkhole...😉

Come on Brigette!!  I feel the same way but I have stronger language for here than sinkhole!!  Stryder1978, Iceland must have been exciting?  Bump your post Bongman!  Sorry, was typing when you posted   Yellowstone is on my bucket list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since there will be no Broadway shows until fall, no trip this summer (and honestly, even if there were shows, I'm not ready to sit in a crowded theatre yet).  So, next trip will probably be February.  Probably.

We'll see how things go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ebk said:

Since there will be no Broadway shows until fall, no trip this summer (and honestly, even if there were shows, I'm not ready to sit in a crowded theatre yet).  So, next trip will probably be February.  Probably.

We'll see how things go.

I hope you’re heading south next winter/spring! We are waiting for our pool to finish, then hit a few places around here and then college visits with Walter Jr! Can’t believe it.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Walter said:

I hope you’re heading south next winter/spring! We are waiting for our pool to finish, then hit a few places around here and then college visits with Walter Jr! Can’t believe it.... 

College?  College???  Oy...  :)

We'll see how the state of the world is, but if we can get to NYC in February, I don't see why we can't make it to your pool in March!  

Love to the family!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, kipper said:

Maybe Yosemite.... that is if it isn't jam packed with European and Asian tourists like usual.

My nephew just headed to Glacier National Park from San Francisco. The weather ain't cooperatin' he said. Still early at that parallel. 

Me? Nowhere. Can't afford the fuckin' gas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We will holidaying in the UK this year. We managed to get a week in September in a converted Chapel we have rented loads of times in Cornwall. We are regulars at this place so know the owners. It was the same price we have paid before so no rip off. The rest of the summer we will be doing golf breaks around the UK. 

No way we will be flying for along time. I really don't understand this desperation to get away to Spain, Portugal etc. 2 Covid tests x £80 notes each, expensive flights, expensive accommodation and your flight/holiday may be cancelled. Enjoy your own country. It's beautiful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No holiday trip this year. Too much work to be done. My birthday trip to Oregon, Red Rocks Amphitheatre, and Rhode Island got cancelled last year because of Covid. With the Red Rocks show postponed until 2022, I'll wait until then to travel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Come on Brigette!!  I feel the same way but I have stronger language for here than sinkhole!!  Stryder1978, Iceland must have been exciting?  Bump your post Bongman!  Sorry, was typing when you posted   Yellowstone is on my bucket list

Hey LedZeppfan1977,

Despite the covid-related difficulties, it was SOOO worth it.  I went mainly to see the "Game of Thrones" filming sites, but also got to sit 300 m away from an active volcano!  

 

DSC04810.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2021 at 11:57 PM, redrum said:

My nephew just headed to Glacier National Park from San Francisco. The weather ain't cooperatin' he said. Still early at that parallel. 

Me? Nowhere. Can't afford the fuckin' gas. 

Come on Redman, you know how to keep on truckin' man. 

 

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Well i just returned from Montauk after stopping to see my daughter and two grandchildren in NJ.  Had a hotel on the ocean.  Best Lobster Bisque I ever had at the Lobster Roll, the place where "The Affair" from Showtime was filmed in part.   The drive back was a true nightmare. Bad enough going, over the Verrazanna bridge.  But returning over the George Washington bridge was a pure bitch.  Took me 10 hours to get home.  Never will go that route again.  I wish I had taken the Holland or Lincoln tunnel.  Only 4 ways to get on and off Long Island that I know.   Montauk is a very nice place.  And a very expensive one also.  I paid $450 a night in an average hotel.  Pricey only because of the location.  No 5 star quality for sure.  Went to the Lighthouse.  It was under renovation.  So you could not enter.  But very scenic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I attended every night of Chisato Moritaka's "Kono Macahi" summer tour from May to July...a total of 13 performances across Japan. 

This week I shall be in Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, & Kobe for leisure travel.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Um, what was that about COVID being on the decline?

Oh well, maybe when the other 50% of the nation grows a brain cell and gets vaccinated we can have this discussion again. Until then, enjoy the upcoming lockdown v2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well i just returned from Montauk after stopping to see my daughter and two grandchildren in NJ.  Had a hotel on the ocean.  Best Lobster Bisque I ever had at the Lobster Roll, the place where "The Affair" from Showtime was filmed in part.   The drive back was a true nightmare. Bad enough going, over the Verrazanna bridge.  But returning over the George Washington bridge was a pure bitch.  Took me 10 hours to get home.  Never will go that route again.  I wish I had taken the Holland or Lincoln tunnel.  Only 4 ways to get on and off Long Island that I know.   Montauk is a very nice place.  And a very expensive one also.  I paid $450 a night in an average hotel.  Pricey only because of the location.  No 5 star quality for sure.  Went to the Lighthouse.  It was under renovation.  So you could not enter.  But very scenic.

Love Montauk. When I lived in Rocky Point we would drive there every other weekend. Hang out in the Hamptons en route to Montauk and the glorious Lobster Roll. Those were the days 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BobDobbs said:

Um, what was that about COVID being on the decline? Oh well, maybe when the other 50% of the nation grows a brain cell and gets vaccinated we can have this discussion again. Until then, enjoy the upcoming lockdown v2.0

Cases are on the rise, hospitalizations and deaths are way down. I'm sure many of the unvaccinated have sound reasons to reject experimental vaccines for a virus with a roughly 99% survival rate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SteveAJones said:

Cases are on the rise, hospitalizations and deaths are way down. I'm sure many of the unvaccinated have sound reasons to reject experimental vaccines for a virus with a roughly 99% survival rate.

Not sure where you are getting your info from but that is not true at all. Hospitalizations and deaths are indeed up all across the nation and rising, plus the delta variant is more deadly and infectious, especially for the 12-30 year old cohort.

Experimental vaccine? Tell that to Vermont, you know, the state with the highest number of vaccinated people and the lowest amount of COVID cases per capita in the nation. Meh, I am sure its just a fluke right? Oh wait, its a "government conspiracy" that's what it is.

Yawn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Don't rest quite yet Steve, this is a more accurate and up to date graph and info:

COVID-19 map: Tracking the United States coronavirus cases and deaths (usatoday.com)

No, I rest my case and now your making my case for me. Specifically, at that link you have either conflated rises cases for rising deaths or overlooked that rises cases no longer correlate to a similar rise in deaths.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

No, I rest my case and now your making my case for me. Specifically, at that link you have either conflated rises cases for rising deaths or overlooked that rises cases no longer correlate to a similar rise in deaths.

I guess we are looking, or interpreting the data differently because the graphs show the opposite from what I am looking at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...