Jump to content

10 movies that most Americans have seen.


kingzoso
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Walter said:

Where’s Caddy Shack in all of this!?!

Vacation 

Christmas Vacation

Back To School

Meet The Parents

We’ve all seen them on cable, HBO or at the theatre. Box office sales can’t be the sold determiner! 

 

Absolutely Walter.. I could have gone on the rest of the night .. there's so many 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Walter said:

Where’s Caddy Shack in all of this!?!

Vacation 

Christmas Vacation

Back To School

Meet The Parents

We’ve all seen them on cable, HBO or at the theatre. Box office sales can’t be the sold determiner! 

 

Be careful Walter, don't want to upset the sensibilities of some of our forum members with such offensive movies :hysterical:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, the chase said:

Absolutely Walter.. I could have gone on the rest of the night .. there's so many 

Yup. I deleted about 3 more just because it’s redundant. To be honest I haven’t seen a lot of the classics. But I love a good laugh. 
 

Titanic and the other huge movies...I’ve seen it maybe two or three times, but some are traditions to watch. Christmas Vacation we watch every year on Christmas Eve, at least. 
 

Good to see you here, the chase! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Walter said:

Yup. I deleted about 3 more just because it’s redundant. To be honest I haven’t seen a lot of the classics. But I love a good laugh. 
 

Titanic and the other huge movies...I’ve seen it maybe two or three times, but some are traditions to watch. Christmas Vacation we watch every year on Christmas Eve, at least. 
 

Good to see you here, the chase! 

Thanks Walter! I appreciate it. Nice to see you as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Be careful Walter, don't want to upset the sensibilities of some of our forum members with such offensive movies :hysterical:

Me piss off someone on this site? You haven’t paid attention long....which I know you have. :lol: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't seen 'Pretty Woman.' I think Scarface was too over the top. I love obscure and foreign movies. 

The Bicycle Thief

La Strada

On The Waterfront

The Gallant Hours

The Trial (Anthony Perkins, Orson Welles, Romy Schneider) 

Citizen Kane

The Secret Of Santa Vittoria

Zorba The Greek

Treasure Of The Sierra Madre

Night Of The Hunter

😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me, most are great selections listed above.
Veering off the four lane to the dirt road I'll add:
Deliverance
The Hitcher 
Christine
Coma
The Birds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jabe said:

To me, most are great selections listed above.
Veering off the four lane to the dirt road I'll add:
Deliverance
The Hitcher 
Christine
Coma
The Birds

Watched Deliverance and The Birds fairly recently. 

1963 – The Birds – Academy Award Best Picture Winners

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, redrum said:

Watched Deliverance and The Birds fairly recently. 

1963 – The Birds – Academy Award Best Picture Winners

All those years feeding the pigeons in the park and look where it gets him. Fucking traitors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I've not seen Close Encounters, E.T., Ben Hur, Jurassic Park, It's A Wonderful Life, Wizard Of Oz, Ghost, The Sound Of Music, Mary Poppins, The Lion King, Toy Story or Willie Wonka either!
Or Freddie Got Fingered, for that matter…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Brigante said:

Ok, I've not seen Close Encounters, E.T., Ben Hur, Jurassic Park, It's A Wonderful Life, Wizard Of Oz, Ghost, The Sound Of Music, Mary Poppins, The Lion King, Toy Story or Willie Wonka either!
Or Freddie Got Fingered, for that matter…

That was one shit movie, should be in the top 10 worse movies of all time which is likely the only list that celluloid debacle should be on.

Ben Hur, Wizard of Oz, Wonderful Life. Oh yeah, great movies. Loved those Cecil B DeMille epics as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2021 at 5:08 AM, Bong-Man said:

Possible others....

Animal House

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind

Blues Brothers

Forrest Gump

Christmas Story

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood....at least according to this site !   :whistling:

 

 

 

 

Hey now! Are you saying something bad about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?

Yeah, I know I go on and on about that film, but I'm not ranking it way high on any list, not even a list of Tarantino films. My favorite Tarrantino film is Jackie Brown.

But Once Upon a Time  I suppose for fans like Strider and I having grown up here in SoCal, just offers so many little "treats" to the eyes and senses when it comes to the locations, the local advertising, the radio station and the DJs, etc.  So many things which people who aren't from here would never pick up on or understand. And then add this other layer of the Manson murders---something we lived through in fear; then I suppose that is the huge appeal.  So, more of a glimpse back to a moment in time and how we here felt and experience that. And then beyond that, an entertaining film.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

That was one shit movie, should be in the top 10 worse movies of all time which is likely the only list that celluloid debacle should be on.

Ben Hur, Wizard of Oz, Wonderful Life. Oh yeah, great movies. Loved those Cecil B DeMille epics as well.

Interestingly, I don't believe Wonderful Life was a very big hit back when it came out. I think it's popularity grew over a few decades after it was being shown on TV, to then become a "classic".  And I may be wrong, but I think the same may have been true about Casablanca as well. Popularity grew over time.

I remember when Universal released The Blues Brothers, and how it didn't do very well in the theater or in sales. The film was super expensive to produce owing to the all star cast and all of the cars destroyed. I'm just so glad the film was made; some GREAT musical performances in it.  But that film grew into a cult film exponentially over the years, and has made a lot of money for Universal after at first making the execs very nervous.

Other similar films which ramped up:

American Graffiti (made on a tiny budget)

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Dazed and Confused

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Stripes

Caddyshack

Shawshank Redemption

and believe it or not, but Wizard of Oz actually started out in the red for MGM after it's initial release. The film was expensive to make, but made only about as much in revenue at the theater. It took TV broadcasts, and then home video to make it the money it eventually deserved.

 

My all time favorite box office dud and cult film is 'Office Space' (1999)

 

 

Edited by kipper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kipper said:

Hey now! Are you saying something bad about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?

Yeah, I know I go on and on about that film, but I'm not ranking it way high on any list, not even a list of Tarantino films. My favorite Tarrantino film is Jackie Brown.

But Once Upon a Time  I suppose for fans like Strider and I having grown up here in SoCal, just offers so many little "treats" to the eyes and senses when it comes to the locations, the local advertising, the radio station and the DJs, etc.  So many things which people who aren't from here would never pick up on or understand. And then add this other layer of the Manson murders---something we lived through in fear; then I suppose that is the huge appeal.  So, more of a glimpse back to a moment in time and how we here felt and experience that. And then beyond that, an entertaining film.

 

Jackie Brown is worth the top spot just for having the most banal, ridiculous sex scene in movie history. You know which one I am talking about. Every time I watch Jackie Brown I howl in laughter during that scene. Makes me think of a low budget porn, filmed end of day with an exhausted crew, and instead of Johnny Wad, they have some random gaffer stand in. Beside that its just an excellent movie, everyone is brilliant in it.

I also think some of the hate regarding Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is its pacing, which is very similar to Jackie Brown. I think Tarantino wanted both of these movies to have that early 70's vibe when even action movies had very deliberate pacing. None of the quick shots and stupidity of todays movies where everything is edited to death and all cut up. You watch a fight scene from a Tarantino movie and its done in a wide shot, mostly uncut (maybe two or three bits edited together at most) compared to the Ginsu treatment of todays movies where a comatose person could be edited to look like they are Bruce Lee. Shit, nowadays during an action sequence you have no clue what's actually going on, all these quick cuts!

I love the old time pacing of Tarantino's movies as it added tension and atmosphere to the scenes. The good old days pre-ADD movie making.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Jackie Brown is worth the top spot just for having the most banal, ridiculous sex scene in movie history. You know which one I am talking about. Every time I watch Jackie Brown I howl in laughter during that scene. Makes me think of a low budget porn, filmed end of day with an exhausted crew, and instead of Johnny Wad, they have some random gaffer stand in. Beside that its just an excellent movie, everyone is brilliant in it.

I also think some of the hate regarding Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is its pacing, which is very similar to Jackie Brown. I think Tarantino wanted both of these movies to have that early 70's vibe when even action movies had very deliberate pacing. None of the quick shots and stupidity of todays movies where everything is edited to death and all cut up. You watch a fight scene from a Tarantino movie and its done in a wide shot, mostly uncut (maybe two or three bits edited together at most) compared to the Ginsu treatment of todays movies where a comatose person could be edited to look like they are Bruce Lee. Shit, nowadays during an action sequence you have no clue what's actually going on, all these quick cuts!

I love the old time pacing of Tarantino's movies as it added tension and atmosphere to the scenes. The good old days pre-ADD movie making.

 

Great scene:

 

[Louis and Melanie are looking at a picture] 

Melanie : That's Japan.

Louis : Uh, looks like... I can... It shows...

Melanie : Wanna fuck?

Louis : Yeah.

[three minutes later] 

Melanie : That was fun.

Louis : Yeah, that hit the spot.

Melanie : Now, we can catch up.

Louis : Yeah.

[heavy breathing] 

Louis : Got a beer?

Melanie : Sure. In the fridge.

 

 

You are correct about the pacing, and Tarantino is great at that. Not just in Jackie Brown and Once Upon a Time, but also in the Kill Bill series---which had it been made by someone else would have had less dialog and much quicker edits within scenes.  Tarantino being a huge fan of the spaghetti westerns, has never worried about rending his films down to what would fit into a 87 minute cleaned up airline version of a Hollywood film.  Tarantino films are films you don't gulp--- you sip.

And again, I'm going to complain about CHINA and the pandering to China by Hollywood studios today. They bend over backwards to appease what the Chinese audiences prefer, not only when it comes to editing certain content out, but all of that flash bang CGI crap too they like.

Screw that!  If I wanted to make the Chinese movie going audience (those in China not other places) happy as an artist, I would make a film about a guy Chinese guy who goes to France to learn culinary mastery, and then wows everyone on how he can make dog taste like escargot, while at the same time working as a spy to steal military secrets.

Are you aware that the Chinese government banned Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? Yeah, they didn't like the Bruce Lee scene. The Red Chinese government demand that Sony Pictures take that scene out, and thankfully Sony didn't bend. But that is because Tarantino isn't some small time director I'm sure.  Once China buys up all of our Hollywood studios you can expect films to be nothing but an extension of the Red Chinese propaganda machine.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2021 at 9:10 PM, BobDobbs said:

All those years feeding the pigeons in the park and look where it gets him. Fucking traitors.

😄 Took this in SF back in the 70's.

PIGEONS ON TRANSLUCENT ROOF.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...