Led Zeppelin's Aircraft: The Only Way to Fly!

SteveAJones

I dont think i could have flown on that plane!!! I give you two reasons why .... Number 1... All that dancing around and singing!! I`d be shouting "sit down! sit down,youre making the plane shake!!!" :o Number 2.....i would have set light to Roberts coat!!!! What was he thinking!! :blink:

Actually no, Henrik, wasn't me. I'd love to know where this first one was scanned from, thanks for posting! :beer:

Oh well, my bad. :lol:

I know you're a big DP fan so I might as well post the whole set. I think a few others will also find it an interesting read.

th_DP-LZ0001.jpg

th_DP-LZ0002.jpg

th_DP-LZ0003.jpg

th_DP-LZ0004.jpg

th_DP-LZ0005.jpg

THE TRIP ! B)

:D

:D

What a funny little newsreel! Thanks for that. Oooh... skating-rink organ music, wine, and dancing, those rock stars sure know how to party... :hippy:

Joelmon! What do you get when you cross a bear and a deer? ;)

Oh well, my bad. :lol:

I know you're a big DP fan so I might as well post the whole set. I think a few others will also find it an interesting read.

Great article, Henrik! Thanks for taking the time to scan it and for sharing it with us! :thumbsup:

Actually no, Henrik, wasn't me. I'd love to know where this first one was scanned from, thanks for posting! :beer:

And that newsclip is really funny to watch - thanks MSG! :thumbsup:

You're welcome, Otto. :D

btw, Otto, your scans ARE clear - disregard my previous post - I had neglected to click on them. Once I did that, I was able to see the detail.

• 1 month later...

Wikipedia Article on The Starship:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starship

An excerpt from the text:

Both the 1973 and re-painted 1975 versions of The Starship can be seen on home video footage included at the end of "Stairway to Heaven" on disc 2 of the Led Zeppelin DVD.

English rock band Deep Purple also hired the Starship for their 1974 U.S. Tour. They can be seen arriving in the jet with the band's name emblazoned on the jet in the DVD for the infamous California Jam rock festival, entitled Live in California 74. In an interview with Circus magazine in 1974, Deep Purple's Jon Lord explained: "It's a 707 put together by a firm in L.A. that Sinatra, Dylan and The Band just used and Elton John uses. It has a lounge, a bedroom, a shower, a fire place and a study. It's supposed to look as little as a plane as possible."

Also known to have hired the plane were The Rolling Stones, The Allman Brothers and Alice Cooper. Peter Frampton was the last to charter The Starship in 1976. As early as Alice Cooper's 1974 tour the Starship was beginning to show signs of engine difficulties, and, for Led Zeppelin's 1977 US Tour, the Starship grounded at Long Beach Airport. The band was forced to find a comparable alternative, and tour manager Richard Cole eventually chartered Caesar's Chariot, a 45-seat Boeing 707 owned by the Caesars Palace Hotel in Las Vegas.

The Starship went through many owners from 1977 through 1979 until it went into storage at Luton Airport in London. It was then pieced out in July 1982.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Airliners.net has 5 photos of the Starship, the Boeing 720 (tail number N7201U), and reportedly it was the very first 720 that Boeing produced. United Airlines was the first customer.

The Starship (N7201U)

And, Airliners.net has 3 photos of Caesar's Chariot (tail number N7224U):

Caesar's Chariot (N7224U)

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the counter from the bottom of the video

Yes, tape a small piece of cardboard to your television screen. :D

It can be done but expensive, professional equipment is needed. Kevin Shirley don't work for peanuts either.

Archived