Revisiting - I’m Gonna Crawl

I must say sometimes these You Tube reaction videos even make me rethink a song. It is a stellar send off for the band. Maybe take down the JPJ orchestration approach and turn up Jimmy’s guitar and you have a gem of a song with an outstanding solo. However, it’s Robert who takes command here and gives one of his best , most passionate vocal takes. Sounds better with age. 

10 hours ago, Blaize86 said:

take down the JPJ orchestration approach and turn up Jimmy’s guitar 

This. Give it a bit more bite and edge. Suppose the strings could be glossing over a few gaps or shaky bits, but who looks to Zeppelin for polished perfection, anyway?   

Could they possibly have been planning to substitute this for SIBLY for "The 80s" North American tour. Would like to think they would have been down with showcasing more from Presence and ITTOD by then.

Edited by Zep Hed

13 minutes ago, Zep Hed said:

Could they possibly have been planning to substitute this for SIBLY for "The 80s" North American tour. Would like to think they would have been down with showcasing more from Presence and ITTOD by then.

Imagine a 1-2 combo of Thank You segueing into I'M Gonna Crawl and replace the strings intro with a short, keyboard intro coming out of the outro to Thank You. Getting rid of Rain Song and moving All My Love to the position of first encore, last encore being The Ocean or Communication Breakdown.

7 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Too bad they couldn't have squeezed IGC into the liveset during the 79-80 gigs. Maybe do before or after ITE....

Directly after ITE would’ve been perfect. Followed by Hot Dog. A 1,2,3 ITTOD punch. Then back to the classics...

19 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Imagine a 1-2 combo of Thank You segueing into I'M Gonna Crawl and replace the strings intro with a short, keyboard intro coming out of the outro to Thank You. Getting rid of Rain Song and moving All My Love to the position of first encore, last encore being The Ocean or Communication Breakdown.

Oh I like this 👆guy 

My favorite song from ITTOD. I like the combo of the lush orchestration and blues sound.  But it's Robert Plant's banshee shriek at the 4:43 mark that sends it over the top.  Robert doing a classic "improvised finale" during the final 40 seconds is also a good way for the band's studio career to conclude.

Jimmys solo in this song felt like a desperate man firing off his last salvo, and somehow, somewhere he knew it (though he didn't). 

Only a supreme talent could take the backseat on an entire album but still provide the most resonating moment to their most astute fans.  In the form of a solo on the last cut of the careers no less.

Edited by Canadianzepper

37 minutes ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

All this talk about I'm Gonna Crawl being the last song on the album, makes me wonder when it was actually recorded? For all I know, I'm Gonna Crawl could have been the first track completed at Polar Studios???

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 7.32.56 PM.png

Damn that studio is so late-70's. Looks almost exactly like the library at my jr. high school I went to in 79'.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:36 AM, bluecongo said:

Without question one of Jimmys best solos.   Top 3 

I remember playing this solo OVER and OVER and Over again in my bedroom '79-'80. All of 14 years old.

Just dying slowly inside, and yet growing at the same time. Wishing...hoping to meet a girl that could make me 'feel' that way. And thinking, man, it'll never happen. This is too powerful. Too true.

Of course, like SO many Page solos, just full of raw emotion.

On 6/19/2021 at 10:56 AM, Zep Hed said:

I always feel this way. When Zep had long tour years, they would morph the set and phase out some by adding others. I feel '77 and '80 tours would have went this way, if not for Karac & Bonham's passing. I bet this is a strong reason why the last 3 studio albums had such little concert play. I bet there was plans to play more new stuff. I wish fans got to interview the band today, and ask questions that actually matter to us.

• 4 weeks later...

Zeppelin may have decided that a live performance (no matter how good) would not sound quite like the recorded version.

Plant's voice and the processing of it on ITTOD sounds much like what Plant would go on to use in his later solo albums.