Best support band you have seen

leddy

We have all been to many gigs, who was your favorite or a band that you thought went down really well at a festival or gig supporting the main act ?

To my mind I always think of Thunder at Donington 1990, they were the first band to open up the festival at about midday and I remember thinking how good they were and how they did a blinding set ! Those sort of acts opening up usually had stuff thrown on the stage but they were really good and for me as it was the first time I had heard them thought they conquered !! So much so i went to see them 2 more times after that in the 90's when they were the main act , both good gigs !!

They had just relaesed Back Street Symphony and what a great album that was and is, good old fashioned Brit Rock, catchy numbers, great riffs and also very melodic !! Good songwriter Luke Morley.

I know there is more so will get thinking !!

The best artist at a festival excluding the headliner has to be Black Stone Cherry at Hyde Park Calling last year.

The best artist supporting someone on a 'double header' tour would have to be Gary Moore supporting B.B. King.

The best support artist I've seen in the true sense of the word would have to be Black Label Society supporting Ozzy Osbourne.

The best gigs I've been to recently havent been because of the support artists, either they were incompatible with the headliner, e.g. Lamb of God supporting Dio era Sabbath or Styx supporting Deep Purple or because the artist didnt have one e.g. Roger Waters.

The best artist at a festival excluding the headliner has to be Black Stone Cherry at Hyde Park Calling last year.

The best artist supporting someone on a 'double header' tour would have to be Gary Moore supporting B.B. King.

The best support artist I've seen in the true sense of the word would have to be Black Label Society supporting Ozzy Osbourne.

The best gigs I've been to recently havent been because of the support artists, either they were incompatible with the headliner, e.g. Lamb of God supporting Dio era Sabbath or Styx supporting Deep Purple or because the artist didnt have one e.g. Roger Waters.

BLS is Zaks band isn't it, I saw them when they supported Ozzy a few years back, I love Zak as a gutarist and liked A horse called War which he did with his other band called (can't remember) :blink::)

BLS is Zaks band isn't it, I saw them when they supported Ozzy a few years back, I love Zak as a gutarist and liked A horse called War which he did with his other band called (can't remember) :blink::)

Yep BLS is Zakk's band which made the concert extra special because he played guitar and sang for BLS and then guitared for Ozzy. he must have been tired after that!

There've been many times I've gone to shows FOR the support band/s. I don't know if a festival situation applies here, as often times the better bands ARE on during the day or before the last, headliner, band.

Most notably for me would probably be.....King Crimson as support for 10 Years After. I was into 10YA at the time, but my main attraction was KC. Also on the bill was Robin Trower, who I enjoyed that night more than 10YA as well. That same year, I went to see PFM in support of Dave Mason who's solo stuff didn't really float my boat and I truly thought PFM blew him off the stage.

Surprise support bands for me have been several too....let's see...

I didn't know ZZTop when they played backup to the Rolling Stones and not eclipsing them, but blowing away many in the crowd who didn't know them too....well, they were astounding !! That was Jan. of '73 before their breakout....Tres Hombres. Even Circus magazine wrote an article in such high praise of them, it appeared they thought ZZ outshown the Stones. No one I knew had heard that 'little band from Texas' !!! :lol:

Some of the Lollapalooza's and the Newport Folk and Jazz Festivals have had support groups that I easily thought blew away the headliners. Miles Davis opened one Festival and blew all that followed away !! That was 1990, one year before he passed on...

As much as I loved the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I really thought Soundgarden and Pearl Jam both blew them away at the '92 Lollapalooza Festival.....The Chili's were a bit down that tour as John Frusciante had just left the band.....rendering them a bit handicapped. And Nine Inch Nails stole the '91 Lollapalooza over Jane's Addiction IMO as well....

These come to mind first...

Around 1996, I was invited to attend a Pearl Jam concert at Downing Stadium, Randalls Island, New York. I just kinda went for the hell of it. It was a short tour. Tickets for this particular PJ tour were very difficult to obtain and I think it was in the middle of their political stance against Ticketmaster. First of all, the venue sucked. Really uncomfortable and a pain to drive into and out of. You had to park your car in a muddy field. I would rather pay the service fees, etc for a decent venue. Anyway, the second act was an unknown Ben Harper. I love slide guitars, bottleneck and all that type of stuff and Ben wailed. NOW he is pretty well known. He also played a Zeppelin song that night, I can't remember the name of the song. Maybe Whole Lotta Love.

I generally like to go to shows where there's NO support band. a few hours of a great band is all I want or need.....unless of course .... it is a festival.

The times I've gone to shows because BOTH bands or more...are in the same league to me...well, those are enjoyable. But too often the backup band just annoys...

Another great backup band that was perfect for them was Gryphon opening for Yes in '74. Complementary to da max !!!

I'll tell you what band was awsome, and totally fit in well with everyone... Hoobastank.

Yeah right, they fucking sucked, with a Capital S. Thanks Slash and co. for choosing such a shitty band. I can't remember any good band opening for anyone, due to these assclowns, ruining every concert I attend now. It's kind of like being in Nam, and then hearing a car back-fire, and having to hit the deck as a result.

Altough, I do slightly remember a band opening for Van-Hagar in 2004 that were pretty decent. I don't remember the name though. But I could barely hear them.

I have another one I remember and thats Wolfsbane supporting Iron Maiden back in 1990 in Poole , I actually bought the ticket to see them as I had seen maiden before and Wolfsbane when they did a show, Steve harris could see that they were going down well on the tour as he stood at the side wings of the stage and watched the whole of their set !! The crowd went mad for them, a few years later i could see why he was watching as he asked their singer to join The Irons after Bruce Dickenson left !! He did and that was the end of Wolfsbane !!!

Back in 2000, the Pretenders were opening up for Neil Young. I was actually there to see Chrissie Hynde and Co. but Neil rocked! It was a great show altogether.

Tat reminds me actually now you mention The pretenders as that was the worse support band I ever saw, not because i don't like them, I kinda like some of their stuff but when they supported U2 at the Cardiff Arms park (now Millennium Stadium) back in 1987 they went down really bad, it was almost embarrassing as the wasn't any cheering and at the end it was almost silent !! I can see another thread topic coming up !!! :)

Tat reminds me actually now you mention The pretenders as that was the worse support band I ever saw, not because i don't like them, I kinda like some of their stuff but when they supported U2 at the Cardiff Arms park (now Millennium Stadium) back in 1987 they went down really bad, it was almost embarrassing as the wasn't any cheering and at the end it was almost silent !! I can see another thread topic coming up !!! :)

Oh my, really? I know they went through alot of band changes during that time after their original bassist and guitarist died, but when I saw them in 2000, they were really good. I guess they were having a really off night when you saw them!

I know its partly being a big -led zep fan, but a stand out for me is -cheap trick in 88 ,opening up for robert plant...a really good set for them and they have kept on putting out some really good records.

Cheap Trick supporting Motley Crue on the Theatre of Pain tour around 86. They were playing on the back of a really stunning return to form with the Standing on the Edge album. The next one the Doctor was OK but not as good.

Cinderella opening the Donnington Monsters of Rock sometime around them was pretty good as well. It was raining and the steam was coming off the crowd when thy lauched into Nightsongs. There was some glam rock girl stood next to me and she turned round and she had a bottle of whiskey she shared with me. ha ha, l was some much younger in those days .......

Archived