Your fave Reissues outtakes?

pageluvva

I been loving my new Sennheiser headphones (no it is not an ad I just love them!) so I’ve been sitting outside and listening to Zeppelin. I am going through all the outtakes Page released on all the reissues. There are so many gems.

2 tracks truly blow me away;

Brandy & Coke (Trampled Underfoot Initial Rough Mix). The 2 vocal tracks so clear and just stunning!!!! Especially with headphones. The “Oooooooo Yeah”s are gold! 

Everybody Makes it Through (In The Light Early Version).  It doesn’t hurt that In The Light is my all time fave Zep tune but this outtake is a musical gem.

Sunshine, brings laughter…………

(While I am on this it sounds like he then sings “Rain clouds, brings a dance”. Anyone else here this?)

Just wondering out of all the outtakes Page released which ones rock ya?

If ,sadly, Page releases nothing else I am so happy he included all these amazing outtakes.

Cheers.

Sorry, just starting an account 

Anyway, Hello all

Starting off with each reissue:

LZ1

1) Good Times Bad Times/Communication Breakdown (live)

2) You Shook Me (live) 

LZ 2 

1) Thank You (instrumental) 

2) Livin' Lovin' Maid (instrumental)

3) Thank You (instrumental) 

4) Moby Dick (edited) 

LZ 4 

1) The Battle Of Evermore (instrumental) 

2) Going To California (instrumental) 

More ro cone... 

2 hours ago, John M said:

La La.  So many textures, and Page's guitar tones and phrasng are out of this world.   

A close second would be 10 Ribs and All.  So unexpected and so ethereal. 

Damn, 2 amazing choices (that I just relistened to). Both a huge glimpse into how a song is built. La La so damn groovy and a nice solo in it. 10 Ribs has some heavy handed Bonham playing ( and I mean that in a good way) and some sweet acoustic guitar playing. And of course JPJ playing so beautifully. 

Great stuff John. 

14 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Sorry, just starting an account 

Anyway, Hello all

Starting off with each reissue:

LZ1

1) Good Times Bad Times/Communication Breakdown (live)

2) You Shook Me (live) 

LZ 2 

1) Thank You (instrumental) 

2) Livin' Lovin' Maid (instrumental)

3) Thank You (instrumental) 

4) Moby Dick (edited) 

LZ 4 

1) The Battle Of Evermore (instrumental) 

2) Going To California (instrumental) 

More ro cone... 

I love all this instrumental takes as well. Thank You is an especially sweet one. Nice choices

Also to add as I was in travel

LZ 3

1) Immigrant Song (alternate mix) 

2) Friends (instrumental) 

3) That's The Way (alternate take)

4) Key To The Highway

House Of The Holy

Every single song

Physical Graffiti

Everybody Makes it Through

Presence 

1) Achilles Last Stand (alternate mix)

2) For Your Life (alternate mix) 

3) Royal Orleans (alternate vocal) 

4) 10 Ribs

ITTOD

1) In The Evening (alternate mix)

2) The Epic (alternate mix)

Coda

1) We're Gonna Groove (alternate mix) 

2) Poor Tom (instrumental) 

3) If It Keeps On Raining

4) Bonzo's Montreaux (alternate mix)

5) Desire (alternate mix)

6) Bring It On Home (alternate take)

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

Also to add as I was in travel

LZ 3

1) Immigrant Song (alternate mix) 

2) Friends (instrumental) 

3) That's The Way (alternate take)

4) Key To The Highway

House Of The Holy

Every single song

Physical Graffiti

Everybody Makes it Through

Presence 

1) Achilles Last Stand (alternate mix)

2) For Your Life (alternate mix) 

3) Royal Orleans (alternate vocal) 

4) 10 Ribs

ITTOD

1) In The Evening (alternate mix)

2) The Epic (alternate mix)

Coda

1) We're Gonna Groove (alternate mix) 

2) Poor Tom (instrumental) 

3) If It Keeps On Raining

4) Bonzo's Montreaux (alternate mix)

5) Desire (alternate mix)

6) Bring It On Home (alternate take)

All great and the bass work in If It Keeps On Raining is the star of this arrangement, just really good bass-work.

I wonder - if I had not been listening to Jennings Farm Blues all those years on the bootleg, would it have been my favorite of the outtakes on the re-issues?  Maybe.  It is amazing, but by the time  the reissues came out, I had been hearing it for years, so perhaps it did not have as much impact as the things I had never heard before.

18 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

All great and the bass work in If It Keeps On Raining is the star of this arrangement, just really good bass-work.

Have it playing as I write and you are bang on. . And love the melody Plant chooses on this one as well. And Bonham makes it a shuffle. Wonderful stuff. 

2 hours ago, pageluvva said:

Have it playing as I write and you are bang on. . And love the melody Plant chooses on this one as well. And Bonham makes it a shuffle. Wonderful stuff. 

I always thought this arrangement would have worked really well live in the acoustic set

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lots of great choices, but I have to put in a plug for the "rough mix" - which is clearly a totally different take - of Bring It On Home (on one of the Coda companion discs - Page held it back from the Zep II companion release). It's super-raw and rip-roaring, and IMHO the track is so much tighter and more in your face without the embarrassing minstrel-act blues intro of the official version.

Also love the early version of Sick Again on the PG companion disc - Bonham just destroys the drums, and Page's intro is the one they used when they played the track live.

Finally, I think the alt. version of That's the Way, at the original pitch and with Jones on dulcimer, is a beautiful, overlooked gem of the Zep III companion disc, which is the best companion disc of the entire reissue campaign (except possibly for Coda's 2-disc companion material).

Edited by tmtomh

Pretty much all of the Coda outtakes - Sugar Mama, Baby Please Come Home, Traveling Riverside Blues, Hey Hey What Can I Do, etc .. all songs we've heard before since the 80s but still sound great. I used to listen to the Physical Grafitti rehearsals boot a lot in the 80s so it's nice to hear a lot of that remastered and mixed in with the rest. It all makes for great driving music too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Theres a lot of good stuff but honestly I think 10 Ribs really stands out for me, one of the best "unreleased" tracks I'v ever heard(next to Dennis Wilson's Holy Man), maybe started out as an atempt to recreate the 75 No Quater jams in the studio but it really has evolved into its own thing.

I have to say it as well, I think Presense would have be better if they'd included it instead of Royal Orleans and Candy Store Rock, maybe not a typical Zep track but I do think in keeping with the rather "epic" tone on that album.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, John M said:

Too bad they did not release this one.  It is ahead of its time as it points to the 80s in some of the guitar figures , but with Zeppelin power and swagger.

Oh that is glorious! Bonham is so heavy on that. GREAT post John.

4 hours ago, John M said:

Too bad they did not release this one.  It is ahead of its time as it points to the 80s in some of the guitar figures , but with Zeppelin power and swagger.

It really is too bad. Great song, love the drums, Jimmy’s tone is sick! Would have like to have heard what the vocals would have rounded out to be. But yes your words “ Power and Swagger “ certainly nail it. Just a rad song. I’ve been on a real In Through The Outdoor kick lately. I love that album. A lot of people don’t think it measures up to the rest of their output. I personally would have liked it to have been their next chapter, instead of their last chapter. I know we had Coda, and I love that album as well. But for me ITTOD in my opinion really felt like a new beginning for the band. I could be reading to much into it. But there are some of Robert’s best lyrics, Bonham was just pure magic on that album, Jonesy was brilliant, and Jimmy had some of his best work. The I’m gonna Crawl solo is one of my favorite solos ever from him. Let alone his work on Fool in the Rain, In the Evening, hello, all of them. 

Sorry to ramble. Great Post Sir.