All My Love

Aitch58

On 8/7/2021 at 8:42 AM, reids said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-led-zeppelin-song-jimmy-page-hated/%3famp

I think the article title is just click bait, but here it is. Plant was mourning his son’s passing and Jones added keys for the sentiment. 

R😎

You gotta love the stuff Page comes up with.  The song is too soft.  Uhmm...Going to California soft?  Rain Song soft?  That's the Way (great freakin song) soft?  I think for Page it was more of a "I didn't have enough involvement cause I was too stoned" soft type thing.

Didn't mean to veer too far off topic.  My older brother at the time LOVED the song, he was a huge Zep fan.  I was just getting into them, completely (and still slightly so to this day) gobsmacked by Black Dog.  So for me, AML was, well, to quote Mr. Page, "too soft".

• 3 months later...

In Through The Out Door was and remains one of my favourites 😀 Somehow the first album kinda compares to that, not only being their last, but because of how much they changed and progressed in those 10 years in between. Sure it's lightweight compared to other LZ, but All My Love and In The Evening both have great feeling into them, kinda like some nostalgic drama or something. And I like what Jonesy came up on that album 🤗

3 hours ago, jsj said:

I don’t think the word soft is quite right, I think Page meant schmaltzy or slushy

Problem there is, how does one write a song about the loss of their child without it being somewhat schmaltzy or slushy? Though I do get your point. I actually prefer Robert's "I Believe" from Fate of Nations as IMO it's a better song and more heartfelt / direct than AML which is metaphor laden. I Believe makes me cry whereas AML makes me think, what a pretty tribute to his son.

2 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Problem there is, how does one write a song about the loss of their child without it being somewhat schmaltzy or slushy? Though I do get your point. I actually prefer Robert's "I Believe" from Fate of Nations as IMO it's a better song and more heartfelt / direct than AML which is metaphor laden. I Believe makes me cry whereas AML makes me think, what a pretty tribute to his son.

I agree on both points Bob

I don’t hate the song, but I agree that it doesn’t fit amongst the Zep catalogue. I’m also not much of a fan of Plant on ITTOD in general. Just sounds like he had one foot out the door (pun intended), which he did. Or he was prepping for his solo career (he was).

People always shit on Page for being too messed up to contribute on ITTOD, but he brought good material to the session. Some of it might have been half-baked, but the songs left off that album were better than a few of the songs on it IMO. AML included.

This isn’t a knock on Jonesy either. I love a lot of his live experimentation in the latter years. I would have been intrigued by an extended Jones opus instrumental in the mix somewhere. 

The pump was primed for an epic Zep album in ITTOD, like Kashmir or Achilles on steroids in space. Instead they gave a half-hearted, disjointed record that was fun and charming at times and wholly corny/bad at others. In other words, they mailed it in.

Carouselambra is probably my favorite track off the album, and there are parts of it that annoy the hell out of me. I’d always hoped that different versions of this song would emerge, like the In The Light outtakes. 

Just an opinion.