‘Becoming Led Zeppelin’ - World Premiere at The 78th Venice Film Festival in September 2021.

sam_webmaster

5 hours ago, Cookie0024 said:

I thought this was interesting when I read that part of the Associated Press report but that's not actually what she said in the press conference.

"It is an unusual way of making a documentary but it’s more like a feature film way of making documentaries and that’s probably what we would like to do next after this, would be a feature," is what Allison actually said. She didn't say she wanted to make a feature film about Led Zeppelin, just that her and Bernard would like to make a feature film next.

I've published a full transcript of the press conference here: https://ledzepnews.com/2021/09/04/read-in-full-the-becoming-led-zeppelin-press-conference-in-venice/

Yeah, you're right, I just watched the press conf.

I loved Jimmy's comment how he views the legacy of Zep as a textbook for musicians. Damn right it is!

Why all this time I have a strong feeling that they showed a raw version of the film in Venice. And that they just really didn't have enough time to finish the entire huge amount of work, and Venice is just a marketing ploy and a chance to loudly announce the film in the future.
Why is there still no standard film press kit, which must always be for presentation at large festivals - where is the official poster, where is the trailer? Literally at the last moment before the show, a trailer appeared on the network, yes, but for me it looks raw and hastily done for formality ... and I don't like the trailer, from the word "absolutely". 
Finally, where are the rest of the band - why at the premiere we only see Jimmy... ok, with his girlfriend. But no Scarlett can replace the pleasure of seeing Plant and Jones again, unfortunately ... (and I'm infinitely sorry to see how she suffers there: https://finalnews24.com/jimmy-page-77-and-girlfriend-scarlett-sabet-32-pack-on-the-pda-at-venice-film-festival/). I was sure that all the band members would be in Venice.
I wrote to Allison and asked a few of these questions, but I doubt she will answer me.
Thanks a lot for all the photos and links. Unfortunately, I cannot be physically present in Venice, and all this information warmed my soul. Here is a complete separate extract from the press conference:

ps And sorry for possible mistakes, English is not my native language ...))

- Maldoror is dead

Edited by Maldoror

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

If more than one band member attends it's no longer a discussion about the documentary, but silly reunion speculation.

Ahhaha. For silly reunion speculation, it is not necessary to have any documentaries at all - a little alcohol with marijuana is quite enough imho [El sueño de la razón produce monstruos, - Goya, Caprichos 1797]... But your words helped me take a fresh look at the memorable The Kennedy Center Honors 2012 evening as entertaining conspiracy, thanks  ))

3 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

‘Becoming Led Zeppelin’: What’s In The Authorized Documentary?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/led-zeppelin-documentary-review-1219811/

From the Rolling Stone article: "You can see and hear bits of their legendary Fillmore West show...ditto their appearance at a blues festival in Bath."

Edited by SteveZ98

9 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

From the Rolling Stone article: "You can see and hear bits of their legendary Fillmore West show...ditto their appearance at a blues festival in Bath."

I assume the footage from Bath will be from the -69 show (?). (I think a lot of people were hoping for -70-Bath-stuff). Still, very exciting.

2 minutes ago, bluecongo said:

Just letting everyone know, one of our spies attended the film and......

there isn’t anything new in film.  No new audio, no new video, it’s basically montages synced to BBC audio.

womp womp 

It's almost like people thought Jimmy was gonna deliver on something astounding 😆.

I'm sure the doc is well done and will be a must watch for any true fan, but it also makes me feel more justified in being extremely pessimistic towards anything officially released. 

8 minutes ago, bluecongo said:

Just letting everyone know, one of our spies attended the film and......

there isn’t anything new in film.  No new audio, no new video, it’s basically montages synced to BBC audio.

womp womp 

I haven't seen the movie but I don't think that's true.  At the very least, the Rolling Stone review mentions Bath (probably '69) which is new to 99.999% of us and the director has mentioned finding alternate unseen reels of some of the footage we do know exists.

I think it will be on par with the companion audio mixes JP re-released a few years ago. There were some absolute gems on those companion discs, some real head scratchers as well. It's going to be a mixed bag - some great stuff, some not so great stuff. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. Maybe there'll be a companion audio release to go along with it? 

I attended September 4 midnight show, this is all

LZ footage that I remember is from Fillmore East (nice but brief B&W footage at the beginning and then the well known color portion, both from the same angle), Laurel's, Communication Breakdown B&W 1969 Promo, Tous En Scene, Cleveland Musicarnival (July 20,1969 very far brief framing of the stage from outside a big circus tent, pointless), Bath Festival 1969, Supershow, Texas Pop Festival, Danish TV.
Then there was BBC's ICQYB and "Sugar Mama" with some B&W footage again nothing unseen even if I don't remember correctly what mix of footage was used, they also used quick sequences of pictures from a 1969 concert to make them cheaply looking like a video...
Studio images for LED ZEP II are again just sequencies of well known pictures, the songs used are chopped portions of the multitracks we learned to know from the bootlegs
The live footage with actual sound is Tous En Scene (CB), Danish TV (HMMT incomplete), Supershow (D&C) and WIAWSNB form RAH 1970 used as the closing for the documentary
left of screen during WIAWSNB run all the credits of the song performed and I think of all the footage as well but it was very fast and with very small fonts

some parts are very tricky, a casual viewer or a normal fan could think that the behind the studio desks scenes or the audiences footage are really connected to Led Zeppelin and the music they are listening to in that moment but they are not, there is not a single frame where you can see the band together with the people and the scenes involved in those sequences but everything is perfectly synchronized and fitted that you can be easily fooled.

Considering the above in the end I do think that the documentary is very well done, very professionally done but Shepperton’s sequences in TSRTS are actually more appropriate to the context of it than most of those mashups are to this one

dadgad

3 hours ago, dadgad said:

I attended September 4 midnight show, this is all

LZ footage that I remember is from Fillmore East (nice but brief B&W footage at the beginning and then the well known color portion, both from the same angle), Laurel's, Communication Breakdown B&W 1969 Promo, Tous En Scene, Cleveland Musicarnival (July 20,1969 very far brief framing of the stage from outside a big circus tent, pointless), Bath Festival 1969, Supershow, Texas Pop Festival, Danish TV.
Then there was BBC's ICQYB and "Sugar Mama" with some B&W footage again nothing unseen even if I don't remember correctly what mix of footage was used, they also used quick sequences of pictures from a 1969 concert to make them cheaply looking like a video...
Studio images for LED ZEP II are again just sequencies of well known pictures, the songs used are chopped portions of the multitracks we learned to know from the bootlegs
The live footage with actual sound is Tous En Scene (CB), Danish TV (HMMT incomplete), Supershow (D&C) and WIAWSNB form RAH 1970 used as the closing for the documentary
left of screen during WIAWSNB run all the credits of the song performed and I think of all the footage as well but it was very fast and with very small fonts

some parts are very tricky, a casual viewer or a normal fan could think that the behind the studio desks scenes or the audiences footage are really connected to Led Zeppelin and the music they are listening to in that moment but they are not, there is not a single frame where you can see the band together with the people and the scenes involved in those sequences but everything is perfectly synchronized and fitted that you can be easily fooled.

Considering the above in the end I do think that the documentary is very well done, very professionally done but Shepperton’s sequences in TSRTS are actually more appropriate to the context of it than most of those mashups are to this one

dadgad

Thanks for the info.