‘Becoming Led Zeppelin’ - World Premiere at The 78th Venice Film Festival in September 2021.

sam_webmaster

12 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Well there's a surprise. Nothing new. Rehash of what we all know and have seen or heard. Pretty much sums up Led Wallets' output over the last 20 odd years. 

3 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Does anyone have that exact quote from Robert a few years ago when asked what was left in the Zeppelin vault? "Just small bits and pieces in the bottom of the boat". 😆

That is what happens when you overdo the "mystique" bit and do not trust outsiders and let anyone in your hermetic circle. Unlike the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Bob Dylan, who never seem to run out of audio and visual archival tapes to release to the public.

On 9/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, Strider said:

I just want to see it in a theatre with booming sound and make up my own mind….just like with "Celebration Day".

I'm with you on this! I can't wait. Rolling Stone gave it a very good review. They just wish it didn't end in 1970! It would be nice if they continued with this. Next part from here through Earls Courts shows and last part from Robert's car accident till the end and some post Zep. We can always dream!

AADC24BA-D101-4734-81F6-257A8899AE13.jpeg.0b5c9f3892832fb673069c16a733ab26.jpegAccording to Alan Light (former Rolling Stone writer/Rock Critic and former Editor-In-Chief w/Vibe & Spin &) now w/ Sirius XM today stated he was at the Telluride Film Festival this past weekend and the Becoming Led Zeppelin Film was added as a last minute surprise, so he saw it. They’ll add their review to the sirius xm podcast soon if anyone would like to hear his account directly. 

R😎

AADC24BA-D101-4734-81F6-257A8899AE13.jpeg

Edited by reids

18 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Does anyone have that exact quote from Robert a few years ago when asked what was left in the Zeppelin vault? "Just small bits and pieces in the bottom of the boat". 😆

“There’s a lot of stuff rolling around. It’s a bit like water in the bottom of a paddle boat. But the thing is we didn’t even play together ’til September so we have a couple of months to connect and say, ‘What’s going on?'”

https://ledzepnews.com/2018/03/20/robert-plant-led-zeppelins-upcoming-fiftieth-anniversary-i-didnt-know-anything-everyone-started-pointing/

^   ^

Does Alan know about that raccoon living on his head ?

I look forward to seeing this as I do all Zep releases, but expecting anything new would be like a long-time hardcore fan getting excited about the "Mothership" release or "Early Days/Latter Days".  There's only so much new under the Sun.  I hope it's well done, and I look forward to seeing a theatrical release, even if it's limited.  I bought the DVD, yet still saw the edited version twice at the show.  Meeting up with other Led-heads before and after in the lobby was one of the best parts of the experience.    

2 hours ago, AussieOzzieZeppfan said:

I'm hoping that it'll include live footage of them in Australia.

What live footage would that be? As has been said, nothing new. Also read the reviews above. It does say that that it basically ends in 1970 and Zeppelin didn't tour Australia until 1972.

JP's post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTm_4bTjVCR/

news report-

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jimmy-page-says-official-led-zeppelin-documentary-has-clearly-touched-the-hearts-of-both-audience-and-critics-alike/

JIMMY PAGE Says Official LED ZEPPELIN Documentary Has 'Clearly Touched The Hearts Of Both Audience And Critics Alike'

The official LED ZEPPELIN documentary "Becoming Led Zeppelin" debuted last Saturday (September 4) at the Venice International Film Festival in Italy. Directed by Bernard MacMahon, the film documents the legendary rockers' "meteoric rise to stardom."
LED ZEPPELIN guitarist Jimmy Page, who premiered the documentary at the event, took to his social media earlier today (Thursday, September 9) to write: "I recently returned from the Venice Film Festival where the world premiere of 'Becoming Led Zeppelin' was unveiled. With Bernard MacMahon (the director), Allison McGourty (producer of the film) and accompanied by @scarlettzsabet, we were about to feel the feedback of the documentary.

"The first run was 2pm on Saturday 4th September. The full capacity audience were already in the venue (COVID restrictions observed) before we were due to enter and welcome the audience and to say hello. There was a 10 minute standing ovation before a word was said. The audience bestowed such affection before the viewing it was quite overwhelming. As the film progressed the enthusiasm intensified and certain sequences were followed by applause. The audience were really connected and it was interesting to witness the communication and enthusiasm the event and the film were generating. After the closing credits, the audience rose to their feet and gave us another standing ovation, a thank you that I can't convey in words, but boy did I feel it.

"That evening there was to be a midnight showing and I wanted to attend that as well. Bernard and I introduced the film to another enthusiastic audience and another standing ovation. It was so energising to feel the love, joy and anticipation from the public. The world press from the next couple of days was equally encouraging. They had had a private viewing so the questions were totally relative to the film documentary. The film had clearly touched the hearts of both audience and critics alike.

"Thank you to the Venice Film Festival. Thank you to the fans. Thanks to you for your loyal support through the years.

"Just now awaiting the announcement for the official release of the film and the day we can all see 'Becoming Led Zeppelin'."

"Becoming Led Zeppelin" features new interviews with Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones, as well as rare archival interviews with the late drummer John Bonham. It marks the first time members of LED ZEPPELIN have participated in a documentary about the group.

MacMahon said in a press release: "With 'Becoming Led Zeppelin' my goal was to make a documentary that looks and feels like a musical. I wanted to weave together the four diverse stories of the band members before and after they formed their group with large sections of their story advanced using only music and imagery and to contextualize the music with the locations where it was created and the world events that inspired it. I used only original prints and negatives, with over 70,000 frames of footage manually restored, and devised fantasia sequences, inspired by 'Singin' In The Rain', layering unseen performance footage with montages of posters, tickets and travel to create a visual sense of the freneticism of their early career."

MacMahon previously directed the Emmy-nominated music documentary series "American Epic" about the early American roots music recordings of the 1920s. Page praised the film back in 2019, saying: "When I saw everything Bernard had done both visually and sonically on the remarkable achievement that is 'American Epic', I knew he would be qualified to tell our story."

Plant added: "Seeing Will Shade and so many other important early American musicians brought to life on the big screen in 'American Epic' inspired me to contribute to a very interesting and exciting story."

Jones stated: "The time was right for us to tell our own story for the first time in our own words, and I think that this film will really bring this story to life."

An official LED ZEPPELIN book, "Led Zeppelin By Led Zeppelin", came out in October 2018.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 6:01 PM, SuperDave said:

I'm with you on this! I can't wait. Rolling Stone gave it a very good review. They just wish it didn't end in 1970! It would be nice if they continued with this. Next part from here through Earls Courts shows and last part from Robert's car accident till the end and some post Zep. We can always dream!

I don't think your dream is too far from possible. It makes complete sense to show their entire career, with so much music and history that came after 1970. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

VENICE FILM FESTIVAL 2021
and
TELLURIDE FILM FESTIVAL 2021

BECOMING LED ZEPPELIN

ROLLING STONE | David Fear

“It’s revelatory, even if you’ve heard live versions of these songs before, and often straight-up gobsmacking.”

“There are numerous itches that are perfectly Led-scratched for those who find Zep’s back catalogue permanently awe-inspiring.”

“What these early live scenes give you is a real sense of the sex and power of the music they made — how physical and visceral and carnal they were right from the very start.”

“MacMahon has given us a thoroughly itemized, straight-from-the-rock-legends-mouths breakdown of their early years and pre-Zep careers. There’s a whole lotta love for those initial glory days.”

VARIETY | Manori Ravindran

“New footage and angles of well-known gigs breathe new life into iconic performances, and left Venice audiences enthralled.”

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER | John Defore

“Bernard MacMahon’s Becoming Led Zeppelin is an eye-opening delight”

“The film adds a wealth of pre-Zep photos, film and ephemera, plus generous helpings of excellent performance footage from their first months together.”

“An essential, joyous portrait.”

VARIETY | Owen Gleiberman

“It unearths Led Zeppelin's roots with comprehensive fascination.”

“A movie that any Zep fan will want to see.”

“It’s full of extraordinary footage.”

“The movie is totally true to its title.”

“This movie actually made me eager to see a Part II.”

THE WRAP | Steve Pond

“A spirited tribute to the power of music to change young lives.”

“Like the band, the movie is potent and excessive”

“Becoming Led Zeppelin” is something of an event."

“It offers glimpses of the band we’ve never seen before.”

“it’s entirely true to the spirit of the band.”

“If you’re a diehard fan, you’ll probably glory in what the film delivers and wish there were more of it.”

“Becoming Led Zeppelin” reminds me of the most memorable Led Zeppelin performance I ever saw.”

INDIEWIRE | Nicholas Barber

“It’s efficient and affectionate.”

“Like all of the best rock docs, it will make you want to listen to the band’s albums.”

MOVIE MANTZ | Scott Mantz

“BECOMING LED ZEPPELIN: Just got back at 12:30am from a surprise screening here at Telluride, and good luck going to sleep — I’m pretty pumped from this super-cool, rocking, enlightening & entertaining rock doc about Zep’s formative years up to ZEPPELIN II”

SCREEN ANARCHY | Ryland Aldrich

“Very cool seeing these legends tell their origin story. Director Bernard MacMahon does a good job of building in cultural context, but the star of the show is obviously the music. You MUST see this with a crowd.

INDIEWIRE | Anne Thompson

Telluride 2021 Recharged the Film World and Anointed 2022 Awards Contenders: “music docs hit big at Telluride [including] Bernard MacMahon’s Venice debut “Becoming Led Zeppelin,” which guitarist Jimmy Page and two other surviving band members steered toward a music focus.”

VARIETY | Peter Debruge, Owen Gleiberman

Fall Festival Breakouts: 20 Movies That Got People Talking at Venice, Telluride and Toronto Variety’s critics put together the following roundup of highlights from the three early-September festivals. No.1 Becoming Led ZeppelinFor those of us who think of Led Zeppelin as the Beatles of heavy metal, not to mention one of the four or five greatest rock ‘n’ roll bands of all time, the first documentary about them is a compelling movie. The director, Bernard MacMahon, spends an hour chronicling the group’s roots in the ’50s and ’60s. The film has amazing sequences that make it a must-see for any Zep fan.”

This is going to be awesome! Hope for a follow up! I always dreamed about a long documentary of all their albums MTV Rockumentary style, I love this documentary. I was very disappointed with the trailer I have to say, but I'm sure it's gonna be great!

Pre zep history is something I didn't explore that much until I got the Jimmy Page Anthology although that's mostly about Jimmy. I'm happy to own ten books about Zeppelin now and a new and truly great documentary is always very welcome for every fan!! 

15 hours ago, Strider said:

I mean, the Beatles "Get Back" has been making the rounds and the "Rooftop Concert" even got a theatrical release. Yet, here we are in 2022 still awaiting some sign of public availability of "Becoming Led Zeppelin". 

Frustrating it is man? Maybe Led Wallet is finalising a deal with Disney+ and/or Netflix to see how much dosh he can get? To be perfectly honest from what I have read it's hardly going to be earth shattering. If it is a Cinema release, I won't go to see it anyway as I hate the Cinema. Too many people who will undoubtedly get on my tits. 

“If” anything has been signed, then it probably wouldn’t be released until later this year to coincide with the holiday / shopping season and November sweeps (ratings period, etc)...  we’ll see. :popcorn2:🎬

R😎

Edited by reids

• 1 month later...