New stuff

Patrick1965

How about Zeppelin doing something together one last time before they are too old or pass away (ref Charlie Watts recently).  One last Swan Song with some new material, write some new songs, get some new riffs going and captivate the millions of Zeppelin followers with some new tunes!  It’s brilliant remastering old stuff and I have listened to it thousands of times and it still is and always will be fantastic, but wouldn’t it be just as fantastic if something new were to appear?  We all know Robert Plant said he would never do anything again with Led Zeppelin after John Bonham passed away, but hey look at ABBA this week after 40 years getting together and releasing some new stuff.  It would be great to see what sort of music Led Zeppelin could come up with now, after more than 40 years since they split too.  Just imagine how great that would be?  All Zeppelin fans would be (in my time of) dying to hear it!! 

Before anyone slates me for comparing ABBA to Zeppelin (it’s only an example folks), remember ‘In Through the Out Door was recorded at ABBA studios in Stockholm, so there is a connection there already! 

JP, JPJ & Jason Bonham attempted to do something new years ago (after the 02 concert bringing in multiple singers: Steven Tyler, Myles Kennedy, etc) and it didn’t go anywhere either. There’s your answer.

R😎

Edited by reids

Robert is into his own thing, captain of his own ship and he likes it that way. He's loaded, his kids are loaded, and his kids kids will likely be loaded from the Zeppelin legacy so money is not a factor. At this point I doubt any of them want a Zep reunion. Robert is as mentioned, Jones is really digging into all sorts of music and has become somewhat an elder statesman in the industry. Page is busy curating Tower House and enjoying his retirement with Scarlett.

^Exactly.

No reason to (from their POV) and no desire to.

So nope, it's over.

The last bit of hope I held on to was JPJ and JP doing a project of some kind. I'm a bit surprised nothing ever happened in that respect (apart from appearing at a Foo'ies gig for two songs), but it's all too late now I'd say. The best we can hope for is Jimmy to re-assess what live stuff he has and making a project or two out of it. Even that is a long shot it seems..... :unsure:

I'm cool to hanging in the minority opinion of events. 
I look at the output of the Beatles post August 29, 1966  Candlestick Park.
The touring ceased but the future material created equalled or surpassed in many instances much of their previous body of work.
Out of the chute the Beatles from the early 60s to the end of the 60s in my world, are still the apex.
Led Zeppelin a miniscule bit behind.

Hence, after the incredible energy surrounding the O2, was there not "energy left in the tank" to at least explore new music, new directions? 
Or as SteveAJones has said, "the well is dry, that dog won't hunt."
No replacement singer was ever an option in my mind. And Jason of course was the only options on drums.
Tons of lawyers could have mucked up the possibility as well as a leary Plant.
Relect on the Beatles post touring creations of Sargent Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, the White Album. Let it Be, and Abbey Road.
I'll always wonder what new classics could have been created in a year or two if Led Zeppelin members were all in.
And yes, sans John Henry Bonham, not truly Led Zeppelin.

At the same time, who can find fault with Led Zeppelin's poetic exit.

15 hours ago, jabe said:

I look at the output of the Beatles post August 29, 1966  Candlestick Park.
The touring ceased but the future material created equalled or surpassed in many instances much of their previous body of work.

Looking at events through rose-tinted spectacles isn’t helpful.

The Beatles worked together consistently and solidly from 63-70, pretty much without a break.  They stopped touring for the simple reason that they couldn’t hear themselves playing above the sound of the audience, and they were sick of it.  All the new material after that came from the momentum that had carried them from the start of their career - working and writing together consistently over that period.  The fact that the material improved and surpassed their previous work is simply down to that continued and unbroken chain of mutual creativity.

if Lennon had lived and they had reunited, nothing that came after 1970 would have been a patch on what came before

By the time of the O2 Zep has been done for 27 years.  Page and Plant had worked together over that time, and some of the stuff they wrote together in that period was good, but none of it came near what they had done as Zep.  They were both very different people who’s lives and music had taken very separate paths, and the dynamic between them had changed irrevocably.  The lack of inclusion of JPJ further changed that dynamic.

This part of your argument sadly doesn’t stand up to the slightest scrutiny, because the parallels you imply simply don’t exist in real life.

15 hours ago, jabe said:

Hence, after the incredible energy surrounding the O2, was there not "energy left in the tank" to at least explore new music, new directions? 
Or as SteveAJones has said, "the well is dry, that dog won't hunt."
No replacement singer was ever an option in my mind. And Jason of course was the only options on drums.
Tons of lawyers could have mucked up the possibility as well as a leary Plant.

There might have been some enthusiasm from the three instrumentalists, but there was no energy left in the tank for Plant - any that might have been left was exhausted by the end of the P&P era.   Don’t forget he set the ball in motion for the O2, and pretty much instantly regretted it once that ball had started rolling.  The lawyers were involved instantly, and that was part of the problem.

His only motivation was to give his tribute to Ahmet Ertegun - he was clear (in his own mind at least) that the O2 was the beginning and the absolute end of it.  By all accounts he was involved in the rehearsals for as little time as was humanly possible.  The only thing (in my opinion) that he did wrong after the O2 was to say anything but an unequivocal ‘No’ to each and every question about any continuation of the band.  He likes to be nuanced and oblique when he’s interviewed though, and sadly he used the whole ‘maybe….’ thing to give the Alison Krauss collaboration a little more momentum.  But… he’s a business man and a pragmatist, so it’s not too surprising really.

The last real chance was probably after Live Aid in ‘85, and Jimmy was in no fit state.

Jimmy as a guitarist has been inactive creatively for over 20 years now, and hasn’t appeared on stage with a guitar for over 5. He’s done.

SteveAJones has hit the nail on the head - the well is dry.

Edited by woz70

• 4 weeks later...

I think what the recent ABBA new releases has shown us is that fans don’t really want new music from bands from such a long time ago. ABBA were probably one of the most wanted reunions with huge money offered but didn’t succumb. I may be a bit out of touch but it seems to me their new music made a big splash and then… not a lot. I doubt they will sell, or be streamed, anywhere near their original songs, even over the next twenty years 

What their fans really want is for them to play a few gigs so they can dance and sing along to Dancin Queen, and if they were at such an imagined gig, they probably wouldn’t want the new tunes, because they’re not the same. 

Fortunately ABBA are sensible enough to realise they can’t recreate those times and that’s why their legacy continues, because they haven’t cashed it in.  

Page & Plant wrote some new tunes back in 94 and 97(?) on the Clarksdale album and the few from the Unledded project. Same thing,  we don’t hear anyone shouting for a continuation of those songs, or radios playing them. Folk just want what they know and like