Jump to content

HBO Max has added TSRTS this week...


Wolfman
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, in_the_evening said:

As far as concert films go, it's probably one of the worst.  

Maybe it hasn’t aged that well. With the passing of time I have purchased the movie 4 different times in a few different formats. I have purchased the soundtrack a few times as well. I think I find myself likening it more the older I get. 
 

It’s funny when you compare it to the technology of today’s movies. But as a piece of music I think it was a pretty good show with some great moments. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 4:52 PM, in_the_evening said:

As far as concert films go, it's probably one of the worst.  

It's my all-time fave concert movie, but it's funny how obvious which parts are live and which ones are from Shepperton studios now. Probably watched it at least 50 times since 1988. Just love it!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, in_the_evening said:

I think Celebration Day blows it out of the water.  Just my opinion.  

I think the audio of TSRTS is very good, but Moby Dick could have been left out, or shortened mightily.  Same for Dazed, though less so.

That’s cool the feel and think that way. For me the musicianship, vocally, and the set list as well as the style the songs were done in plus the atmosphere of MSG in their prime as a group is just hard to beat. But that you appreciate the 07 show that much is awesome! And it just shows the difference in our tastes as humans and what we hear. The 2003 how the West Was Won and the DVD release are some amazing documents of them as a group as well. And we have hundreds of live shows to dig into, discover, or re-discover. But whenever The Song Remains The Same comes on I have to watch it, rent it, or whatever. Even though I own it on a few different formats. 
 

Have a great night in the evening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, in_the_evening said:

I think Celebration Day blows it out of the water.  Just my opinion.  

I think the audio of TSRTS is very good, but Moby Dick could have been left out, or shortened mightily.  Same for Dazed, though less so.

Shorten Dazed? That's the highlight of the movie. I was at the O2 show and as great as it was, It was nothing compared to the 73 show. The MSG show was the real Led Zeppelin in its prime. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love TSRTS. When I first saw the movie in 83' I was blown away, realizing immediately the impact the movie had toward MTV and music videos. Without TSRTS I doubt MTV would have come about, or if it did likely not until the late 80's early 90's. So FWIW it did inspire a whole new concept in music format. Yes, the movie's fantasy sequences were a bit funky but the only one which did not age well was Plant's. Page, Jones, and especially Bonham's I think aged well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

I love TSRTS. When I first saw the movie in 83' I was blown away, realizing immediately the impact the movie had toward MTV and music videos. Without TSRTS I doubt MTV would have come about, or if it did likely not until the late 80's early 90's. So FWIW it did inspire a whole new concept in music format. Yes, the movie's fantasy sequences were a bit funky but the only one which did not age well was Plant's. Page, Jones, and especially Bonham's I think aged well.

I had never thought about that. Interesting, and thinking about it I’m certain that it had an effect on Music Videos. There were certainly Videos that Bands were putting out before TSRTS, but undoubtedly it had something to do with it. 
 

I don’t know if this is the thread for this question, but The Rolling Stones video for Waiting on a Friend was shot in front of the building that Zeppelins Physical Graffiti album cover was shot. Does anyone know if there was or is any significance to that? I thought I had read that there was. But I could be making that up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

I love TSRTS. When I first saw the movie in 83' I was blown away, realizing immediately the impact the movie had toward MTV and music videos. Without TSRTS I doubt MTV would have come about, or if it did likely not until the late 80's early 90's. So FWIW it did inspire a whole new concept in music format. Yes, the movie's fantasy sequences were a bit funky but the only one which did not age well was Plant's. Page, Jones, and especially Bonham's I think aged well.

What always struck me was Zep only had very limited film clips to accompany any songs. The You Shook Me promotional one is corny, but it's one of the few video's to go with a song Whole Lot of Love another one. Even their final album (while still together) ITTOD, no film clips for any songs. I guess they were just ahead of that "era", and I'm sure Jimmy would no way have been interested at the time ("the music should speak for itself!" I can almost hear him now...)

I'd freakin' love me some great quality fan vid's to the catalogue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 10:10 PM, Plant77 said:

That’s cool the feel and think that way. For me the musicianship, vocally, and the set list as well as the style the songs were done in plus the atmosphere of MSG in their prime as a group is just hard to beat. But that you appreciate the 07 show that much is awesome! And it just shows the difference in our tastes as humans and what we hear. The 2003 how the West Was Won and the DVD release are some amazing documents of them as a group as well. And we have hundreds of live shows to dig into, discover, or re-discover. But whenever The Song Remains The Same comes on I have to watch it, rent it, or whatever. Even though I own it on a few different formats. 
 

Have a great night in the evening. 

You are correct, it's all a matter of preference.  For me, a Zep live show without Kashmir is just incomplete.  It's why for me, the 77 North American Tour can be unbelievably good, and in some venues, quite bad, haha!   Even the Tour Over Europe has some fantastic shows featuring a very different band (shorter songs, leaner instrumentation especially Page, and sometimes just very very tight).

But for those who want to watch it on HBO, DVD, VHS, stream, go for it!  I should probably take another look at some point.

Edited by in_the_evening
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2021 at 6:04 AM, in_the_evening said:

You are correct, it's all a matter of preference.  For me, a Zep live show without Kashmir is just incomplete.  It's why for me, the 77 North American Tour can be unbelievably good, and in some venues, quite bad, haha!   Even the Tour Over Europe has some fantastic shows featuring a very different band (shorter songs, leaner instrumentation especially Page, and sometimes just very very tight).

But for those who want to watch it on HBO, DVD, VHS, stream, go for it!  I should probably take another look at some point.

I also love the 77 tour. It has some of my favorite performances. And you can’t go wrong with Kashmir ever. But I really dig Robert’s 77 vocals, and some nights Jimmy was out of his mind brilliant. Some nights he might have been the most loaded guy in the building. But he was/is the baddest man on the planet so I’m cool with him having some performances where he was trying to stretch and go places that no one else did or dared. JPJ was always world class, and Bonham was just the best no matter what.

Having said all of that, check out the TSRTS again, give a go a couple times. It’s kickass. It’s absolutely a great performance in my opinion when you consider all that led up to it. I really also need to make clear that Robert in 77-80 has some of my favorite vocals, phrasing, and range ever. And in my opinion no one comes close to his voice. He is in a league of his own. All of them are. Sorry for rambling. 
 

Have a great night. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...