Bootleg

Guy delage

51 minutes ago, Guy delage said:

What is the oldest bootleg zeppelin has.

'Pb' is widely considered the first Led Zeppelin bootleg release, taken from a radio broadcast in March 1970. ‘Pb’ stood for ‘pure blues’, and is also the chemical symbol for lead. The recording is Led Zeppelin's March 21, 1970 performance in Vancouver, British Columbia.

A1   Heartbreaker
A2   Thank You
A3   What Is And What Should Never Be
B1   Communication Breakdown
B2   We're Gonna Groove
B3   Since I've Been Loving You
B4   Whole Lotta Love

Pb.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

The earliest known bootleg recording that I can recall at the moment is Led Zeppelin's performance in Spokane, WA on December 30, 1968.

1. ‘Train Kept A Rollin” [0:00]
  2. ‘I Can’t Quit You’ [2:32]
  3. ‘As Long As I Have You’ (incl Fresh Garbage / Shake / Hush) [9:15]
  4. ‘Dazed And Confused‘ [17:52]
  5. ‘White Summer’ [27:43]
  6. ‘How Many More Times’ (incl The Hunter) [34:31]
  7. ‘Pat’s Delight’ [50:07]

The earliest known soundboard recording of Led Zeppelin is Led Zeppelin's performance in San Francisco, CA on January 11, 1969.

01 - I Can't Quit You Baby (Willie Dixon cover) (00:00)

02 - Dazed and Confused (Jake Holmes cover) (08:57)

03 - You Shook Me (Willie Dixon cover) (22:06)

04 - How Many More Times (30:10)

05 - Communication Breakdown (38:35)

15 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The recording is Led Zeppelin's March 21, 1970 performance in Vancouver, British Columbia.

It's weird to hear Plant greet the audience with the Everybody feel alright and go into Heartbreaker. I have a feeling that was his opening comment before hitting on We're Gonna Groove. Love how Robert tries to get Ramble On going during Communication Breakdown. Apart from the 02 version, that's the only live version I've ever heard. Sure would be nice to hear the rest of the show - the recording is fantastic!

17 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

It's weird to hear Plant greet the audience with the Everybody feel alright and go into Heartbreaker. I have a feeling that was his opening comment before hitting on We're Gonna Groove. Love how Robert tries to get Ramble On going during Communication Breakdown. Apart from the 02 version, that's the only live version I've ever heard. Sure would be nice to hear the rest of the show - the recording is fantastic!

Yes, the radio broadcast scrambled and edited the songs out of order. It is far from complete and not in proper sequence. The setlist as played was the standard Spring 1970 setlist with the opener "We're Gonna Groove" leading into "I Can't Quit You, Babe"…it is on the concert timeline on this website.

Edited by Strider

SteveAJones nailed it. To summarize…the oldest known Led Zeppelin concert recording is the December 30, 1968 Gonzaga gig, while the actual first bootleg released to the public was the March 21, 1970 Vancouver show known as Pb and released in 1970.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

SteveAJones nailed it. To summarize…the oldest known Led Zeppelin concert recording is the December 30, 1968 Gonzaga gig, while the actual first bootleg released to the public was the March 21, 1970 Vancouver show known as Pb and released in 1970.

Great job by Steve. It is so mind blowing to me that people knew, and were tapping people that early. I know there were people bootlegging Dylan, Stones, and the Beatles among others. But it is strange to me that people were recording Zeppelins first shows. Of course they were on tour with some groups that had a following. But to tape their shows and to have held onto them is pretty amazing. Pre anything other than radio and word of mouth. Also to hear the growth of the band, to hear them stretching their set, and getting tighter is also incredibly cool to hear and be able to go back to. 

10 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Great job by Steve. It is so mind blowing to me that people knew, and were tapping people that early. I know there were people bootlegging Dylan, Stones, and the Beatles among others. But it is strange to me that people were recording Zeppelins first shows. Of course they were on tour with some groups that had a following. But to tape their shows and to have held onto them is pretty amazing. Pre anything other than radio and word of mouth. Also to hear the growth of the band, to hear them stretching their set, and getting tighter is also incredibly cool to hear and be able to go back to. 

Certainly by Autumn 1968 Jimmy Page had stoked the interest of tapers while touring as the lead guitarist with The Yardbirds.

13 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Certainly by Autumn 1968 Jimmy Page had stoked the interest of tapers while touring as the lead guitarist with The Yardbirds.

Yes Sir, he had to of. It’s just really fascinating to me, especially when I think of the era and the band, other than Jimmy not really having a name. 

Cheers Steve.