Songs That Self-Destruct

SteveAJones

What am I talking about? These are songs that could be great, but for for one reason or another, just aren't. 

Perhaps the best example of what this thread is all about is Long, Long Way From Home by Foreigner. 

Starts off with some rocking guitar and macho lyrics before it self-destructs at 0:56 with a beta male lyric.

Blood Sweat and Tears - Spinning Wheel

Oh, man does this song take me back to those halcyon summer days of the 1970s. Unfortunately, the song self-destructs at 3:06 with a pointless segue into what sounds like a Frank Zappa outtake. It ruins the song.

Edited by SteveAJones

The Chambers Brothers - The Time Has Come

Whenever I want to reminisce about all those beautiful female snipers in Hanoi it has to be The Chambers Brothers - The Time Has Come...but not from 2:26 - 9:09, a psychedelic musical interlude that is best left on the cutting room floor.

The Rolling Stones - Fool to Cry

New York City. Winter 1976. I'm in a hotel suite overlooking Central Park. I've got the number one rated radio program in America, and I've just made Time magazine's 100 most influential people in America list. The Stones try to take me to a gay bar at 0:57.

"Take Five" by Dave Brubeck. One of the most famous songs in Jazz history starts out wonderfully with a killer lead sax, then devolves into a mood killing drum/piano solo in its mid section before mercifully bringing the sax back at the end. 

Edited by SteveZ98

On 9/28/2021 at 5:00 AM, SteveAJones said:

What am I talking about? These are songs that could be great, but for for one reason or another, just aren't. 

Perhaps the best example of what this thread is all about is Long, Long Way From Home by Foreigner. 

Starts off with some rocking guitar and macho lyrics before it self-destructs at 0:56 with a beta male lyric.

What is a beta male?

1 hour ago, Pb! said:

Have to agree regarding the Chambers Brothers. The single edit is perfect.

To be fair, and I may be wrong (too often the case), but I believe the original version of the tune was to be listened to while tripping balls.

I tell you this, never take hallucinogens and listen to Screaming Jay Hawkins. Yo ass will never come back from that!

Edited by BobDobbs