GM Says Driverless Cars Could Be Ready In 10 Years

Mattmc1973

Cars that drive themselves — even parking at their destination — could be ready for sale within a decade, General Motors Corp. executives say.

GM, parts suppliers, university engineers and other automakers all are working on vehicles that could revolutionize short- and long-distance travel. And Tuesday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas GM Chief Executive Rick Wagoner will devote part of his speech to the driverless vehicles.

“This is not science fiction,” Larry Burns, GM’s vice president for research and development, said in a recent interview.

The most significant obstacles facing the vehicles could be human rather than technical: government regulation, liability laws, privacy concerns and people’s passion for the automobile and the control it gives them.

Much of the technology already exists for vehicles to take the wheel: radar-based cruise control, motion sensors, lane-change warning devices, electronic stability control and satellite-based digital mapping. And automated vehicles could dramatically improve life on the road, reducing crashes and congestion. If people are interested.

Full article: *Click*

Not all the time, but there would be times when putting it on "auto pilot" would be cool, like on a long trip, or if you were REALLY tired and wanted to shut your eyes.

Another question...what if you had too much to drink? Would it be OK for your car to drive you home?

Not all the time, but there would be times when putting it on "auto pilot" would be cool, like on a long trip, or if you were REALLY tired and wanted to shut your eyes.

Another question...what if you had too much to drink? Would it be OK for your car to drive you home?

No, it wouldn't. But I don't drink and drive- I know two people who were killed that way. :blink: I think our first priority is getting rid of the gas powered car then these kinds of things can be played with. What about winter driving- an important thing you need to consider in Michigan.

I TOTTALLY AGREE WHAT IF I WANT TO GO GET TRASHED IS IT OK SINCE TECHNICALY THE CARS DRIVING IMAEN THIS IS IMPORTANT TO ME CUZ I LIVE IN A TOWN WHERE PIGS ACTUALLY HANG OUT BY BARS AT 2:OOAM TO TRY TO CATCH PEOPLE CUZ THERE WORTHLESS LOSER FUCKING ASSES HAVE NOTHING BEETER TO DO EVEN THOUGH THERES A TON OF METH IN THIS TOWN ITS A FUCKIN JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

I TOTTALLY AGREE WHAT IF I WANT TO GO GET TRASHED IS IT OK SINCE TECHNICALY THE CARS DRIVING IMAEN THIS IS IMPORTANT TO ME CUZ I LIVE IN A TOWN WHERE PIGS ACTUALLY HANG OUT BY BARS AT 2:OOAM TO TRY TO CATCH PEOPLE CUZ THERE WORTHLESS LOSER FUCKING ASSES HAVE NOTHING BEETER TO DO EVEN THOUGH THERES A TON OF METH IN THIS TOWN ITS A FUCKIN JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

ROLFLMAOTM!!!!1111!!!! YOU SAID PIGS AND ASSES LOLZ!!!! HOW F***ING COOL IS THAT LOLZ ???11!!!1111!!!!11!!

....PIGS ACTUALLY HANG OUT BY BARS AT 2:OOAM TO TRY TO CATCH PEOPLE CUZ THERE WORTHLESS LOSER FUCKING ASSES HAVE NOTHING BEETER TO DO EVEN THOUGH THERES A TON OF METH IN THIS TOWN ITS A FUCKIN JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

They have nothing to do but try and save lives?

Oh;the horror..... :rolleyes:

Archived