What song always takes you to your happy place?

1975NQ

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

These are upbeat and fun! My brother lives in Tokyo and speaks Japanese .. I"ll have to send these his way. Although that might raise some eyebrows from his wife hmmm ... decisions, decisions  😛

6 hours ago, Nick MacRae said:

It depends what happy place I'm going for, but if it's a calming one, then Ultraviolet by Light Field Reverie, Voice of the Soul by Death, or Dream by Quo Vadis. As for more energetic songs, Inis Mona by Eluveitie never fails to disappoint.

Nice ones. Getting strong Rush vibes from the Quo Vadis song (that's a good thing)

Down by the Seaside as it is a very positive song, very laid back. A bit of an extension of the social responsibility vibe of That's the Way. A real song of hope.

Another great happy song is both Sam Cooke's and Journey's versions of Let the Good Times Roll.

Now here is a weird choice, The Starland Vocal Band's Afternoon Delight. When the song came out in 76' I was in third grade and my neighbor Sue had just turned 16 and was driving around on her motorcycle. She was always fond of me, don't know why but she was very cool toward me and she would ride me around on her bike all the time. We were at her house, working on her bike with her older brother who was a professional stock car driver when this song came on for the first time. Sue told her brother to turn the song off as it was "inappropriate" for my young ears but Dave said, "nah, who cares, crank it" and that was that. Just a song tethered to a happy memory.

Lastly, Black on Black by Heart. This song came out when I was dating a fantastic woman named Kathy and it just clicked with both of us. It also reminds me to never let a good thing get away, Kathy was one in a billion...I should have married her. Oh well, happy memory none the less.

11 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Lastly, Black on Black by Heart. This song came out when I was dating a fantastic woman named Kathy and it just clicked with both of us. It also reminds me to never let a good thing get away, Kathy was one in a billion...I should have married her. Oh well, happy memory none the less.

Kathy's recollection: "He was a co-worker at Payless shoes and would not leave me alone. I took pity on him and agreed to go out twice. Our first date if you want to call it that was an afternoon matinee of Look Who's Talking Now. God knows why he choose that film. I guess he overcompensated because I didn't want to see RoboCop 3? Our second date was supposed to be just lunch. He showed up with flowers and a promise ring".      

42 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Down by the Seaside as it is a very positive song, very laid back. A bit of an extension of the social responsibility vibe of That's the Way. A real song of hope.

Another great happy song is both Sam Cooke's and Journey's versions of Let the Good Times Roll.

Now here is a weird choice, The Starland Vocal Band's Afternoon Delight. When the song came out in 76' I was in third grade and my neighbor Sue had just turned 16 and was driving around on her motorcycle. She was always fond of me, don't know why but she was very cool toward me and she would ride me around on her bike all the time. We were at her house, working on her bike with her older brother who was a professional stock car driver when this song came on for the first time. Sue told her brother to turn the song off as it was "inappropriate" for my young ears but Dave said, "nah, who cares, crank it" and that was that. Just a song tethered to a happy memory.

I'll have to check those songs out. Always loved Sam Cooke, and my girlfriend is a huge fan of his. That's a great story about Afternoon Delight. Nostalgia is powerful stuff. What your brain attaches to when you're a kid pretty much trumps everything lol. I loved that song too and lots of other light, fluffy 70s goodies. Paul McCartney, Bread, Rod Stewart, on and on ...

25 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Kathy's recollection: "He was a co-worker at Payless shoes and would not leave me alone. I took pity on him and agreed to go out twice. Our first date if you want to call it that was an afternoon matinee of Look Who's Talking Now. God knows why he choose that film. I guess he overcompensated because I didn't want to see RoboCop 3? Our second date was supposed to be just lunch. He showed up with flowers and a promise ring".      

🤣 ohhhh dang ... ! Bob, you gonna let him do you like that?

p.s. as an employee of Payless, I'm a bit offended

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I never worked as shoe salesman damn you, it was a grocery store and she said I had nice eyes. Is it my fault she put a restraining order on me?

Another one that always puts a smile on my face - the original 1963 "One Way Out" by Sonny Boy Williamson (with Buddy Guy on guitar!). There is so much humor and joy in the singing and harmonica playing, I don't think you could really call this the blues. Just the opposite. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...