Your Favorite Three '60s Albums

kidmoon

Even though I was born in 1962, I have a hard time coming up with my favorite albums from the sixties. Maybe because I really didn't start paying attention to music until the early 70s or because I don't really tend to think of albums in terms of decades except for the 70s onward due to the previously stated reason.

Re: The discussion earlier in the thread about the exclusion of Zeppelin albums; I never once thought in a million years that I would ever agree with anything icantquityoubabe (now known as "silvermedalist") said but in this case I do. Since it's a Led Zeppelin site it's a given that we're all Zeppelin fans so it makes it more of a challenge to list albums besides theirs.

With that said, here's my stab at a list:

51EG24CYDRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61U9ZORObSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51mecvduoFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Even though I was born in 1962, I have a hard time coming up with my favorite albums from the sixties. Maybe because I really didn't start paying attention to music until the early 70s or because I don't really tend to think of albums in terms of decades except for the 70s onward due to the previously stated reason.

Re: The discussion earlier in the thread about the exclusion of Zeppelin albums; I never once thought in a million years that I would ever agree with anything icantquityoubabe (now known as "silvermedalist") said but in this case I do. Since it's a Led Zeppelin site it's a given that we're all Zeppelin fans so it makes it more of a challenge to list albums besides theirs.

With that said, here's my stab at a list:

51EG24CYDRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61U9ZORObSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51mecvduoFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think you're right, plus for me, having been born in the '80s, and therefore paying attention to the music before my time or else I wouldn't be here, I think the '60s saw the beginning of the evolution of the album, and the '70s really perfected it. It was hard for me to think of that many albums from the '60s that were good all the way through, and I think that's because bands didn't start fully taking advantage of the LP format until the late '60s. I mean, I could think of a lot more than 3 good ones, but compared to the absolute plethora you have to choose from in the '70s, it just wasn't in full swing yet then.

For the 3rd pick, I was trying to go for something outside rock music, like maybe country or soul, but that got REALLY hard since rock was kind of the pioneer of the LP, and it seems like other genres were still more radio-based and single-reliant at that point. I can think of a lot of songs I like from that era, but it's hard to name a classic album. (I did almost put Merle Haggard's Swinging Doors, but I had to admit I liked Disraeli Gears better.)

EDIT: oops, look who didn't read the rules.

I was pretty young.

My list from today's perspective would probably be...

Led%20Zeppelin%20-%20Led%20Zeppelin%20II.jpg

LEDCD001.jpg

jimi-hendrix-experience.jpg

But my list of what I actually listened to in the 60s (my older brothers' records) would be...

Little-deuce-coupecover.jpg

sgt-pepper.jpg

album-parsley-sage-rosemary-and-thyme.jpg

On a side note : I really love Swede's, Jahfin's and Typo's selections! Top notch lists there guys! :thumbsup:

Albums by "The Flying Burrito Brothers", "The Sonics", "The Ventures", "The Beatles" and "Simon And Garfunkel" were under consideration for me too and I could have included them if we didn't have to pick just three fuckin' albums!!! :angry:

Archived