Fav. 90s & 00s Albums

kidmoon

That may well be the case and if so, so be it. I was just commenting on the retro-nature of boards such as this where so many posters seem to be steeped in old music and rarely anything that new. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw today's Iron and Wine thread. Good to see not everyone chooses to hold on to the past and actually realizes there is a lot of very good music being made today.

I'm sure there is a lot of good music being made today. I just don't listen to it. Why? It's not the music I love. I like classic rock, oldies, singers/standards, big band/swing.....some contemporary artists, but not many. I don't call it "holding on to the past", I call it listening to the genres of music I enjoy the most. I have no problem with people who DON'T listen to those styles of music, I wonder why you have problems with people who do. I listen to the radio, all different stations, and I rarely hear a song that would entice me to go buy the album.

I have to admit, I thought the same thing when I saw people listing HTWWW. It's a live album of a 1972 performance, so I don't consider it a 00's album. I took it to mean a new release by a current band in this decade. It's like if someone asked me, "what is the best album of the 90's?" I wouldn't say "the Led Zeppelin Remasters". It might be my favorite thing released in the 90's, but I wouldn't call it a 90's album per se.

Thanks, you made my point much better than I was able to.

I'm sure there is a lot of good music being made today. I just don't listen to it. Why? It's not the music I love. I like classic rock, oldies, singers/standards, big band/swing.....some contemporary artists, but not many. I don't call it "holding on to the past", I call it listening to the genres of music I enjoy the most. I have no problem with people who DON'T listen to those styles of music, I wonder why you have problems with people who do. I listen to the radio, all different stations, and I rarely hear a song that would entice me to go buy the album.

You act as though I've singled out you alone for listing How The West Was Won when that isn't the case at all, my thoughts are centered on all that listed it, not just you. As stated in a previous post I find it a very legitmate point but at the same time if someone feels it was one of the best releases of the 00s so far that's their own choice to make. I just find it a bit odd to list a vintage release of performances from 1972 when there's so much other wonderful music out there to choose from. If you don't like current music for the most part that's also perfectly fine, it's just not a viewpoint I happen to share. That's kinda of what these messageboards are for, voicing our differing opinions. If you want to turn a deaf ear to today's music that is most definitely your prerogative to do so. I just hope I never reach such a stage in my life. I like music from all decades and different genres myself, I never said you or anyone else had to do the same.

It didn't say "Fav. 90s and 00s albums made by artists from the 90s & 00s." You can interpret what the thread starter wanted any way you choose, but it doesn't make one person right and another person wrong.

WTF is the problem here?

You gotta get out more. :lol:

It didn't say "Fav. 90s and 00s albums made by artists from the 90s & 00s." You can interpret what the thread starter wanted any way you choose, but it doesn't make one person right and another person wrong.

I don't recall myself or anybody else saying anyone was right or wrong, I just openly pondered the thought of why someone would include an album of performances from 1972 when they have 7 years of new music to choose from.

WTF is the problem here?

None, at least that I'm aware of.

Awww, that's so cute. You think you insulted me. Ha.

I get out enough. In fact, I'm relishing the fact I don't have to go to work today.

I'm just saying you seem all wound up.Maybe a nice walk would clean you up .

No insults. No cute

WTF is the problem here?

Easy tiger. We're stating our opinions, you're stating yours. No one seems to have a problem but you, don't be so sensitive.

If you actually knew me, which you don't, you'd realize your assessment of me is quite erroneous. Dealing with the things I've had to in my life growing up, if I was as sensitive as everyone here incorrectly thinks I am, I wouldn't have made it thus far.

You're right, I don't know you, just like you don't know me. We only know each other's online personas, and yours comes off as over-sensitive. And you just said yourself, I'm not the only one who has said so, "everyone" seems to think the same. So ask yourself why that is? Maybe "sensitive" isn't the right word, maybe it's more of a chip on your shoulder when you perceive any slight or criticism, even if it's just mild disagreement. Whatever the case is, it comes off as over-senstivity.

You're right, I don't know you, just like you don't know me. We only know each other's online personas, and yours comes off as over-sensitive. And you just said yourself, I'm not the only one who has said so, "everyone" seems to think the same. So ask yourself why that is? Maybe "sensitive" isn't the right word, maybe it's more of a chip on your shoulder when you perceive any slight or criticism, even if it's just mild disagreement. Whatever the case is, it comes off as over-senstivity.

"Everyone" was an exaggeration. I'd say the real number is closer to 4 or 5. Which is hardly cause for any self-reflection. If people want to not like me or label me based on an incorrect assumption of theirs, that's their deal, wouldn't you say?

Let people continue to be wrong. It tickles me.

The 90's do not exist i my opinion on a musical scale. The 70s were so superior to the 90s it is a joke. The 80s arent much better but a bit better. After all, Zeppelin, Stones, Who, Floyd, Beatles, ie all the big bands were before 1980. Everything after that sucks! A bunch of want to be's. What came out in the 90s-f--cking Rap. Not music.

Yawn*90's-were-best-decade-ever*Grumble.. yeah. <_<

Some people just seem to be stuck in the past for silly reasons.

There are plenty of great bands nowadays, you just have to open up and try to look harder for it.

My list:

90's:

Frank Zappa - The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (yeah, yeah, recorded in 1988, released in 1991, but I don't give a fuck).

Helmet - Meantime

Tool - Undertow

00's:

As for now...

The Strokes - Is This It?

Tool - Lateralus

Tie between Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf and David Bowie - Heathen.

90's:

Frank Zappa - The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (yeah, yeah, recorded in 1988, released in 1991, but I don't give a fuck).

Helmet - Meantime

Tool - Undertow

00's:

As for now...

The Strokes - Is This It?

Tool - Lateralus

Tie between Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf and David Bowie - Heathen.

Well, I guess you're entitled to choose an 80s album, considering there's not a thread for that decade... :unsure:

Ever heard of Mark Lanegan? He's collaborated (occasionally) with QOTSA. He's damn good.

Hey, I did give the Replacements a listen and I like what I hear. Thanks! :ph34r:

Glad to hear you're diggin' on 'em. You have a whole world of great records to look forward to and not just from the 'Mats themselves but also their solo projects. Lots and lots of good stuff there. They have a long awaited box set due this year, hopefully it's finally gonna be released.

If you actually knew me, which you don't, you'd realize your assessment of me is quite erroneous. Dealing with the things I've had to in my life growing up, if I was as sensitive as everyone here incorrectly thinks I am, I wouldn't have made it thus far.

No problem Little Miss Sunshine...

let us know when the violin tracks are ready to be added to your posts?

:lol:

No Quarter: Unledded - Page & Plant - 1994

Wolmother - Wolfmother - 2005

Elephant - The White Stripes - 2001

Days Of Rising Doom, The Metal Opera - Aina - 2003

1990s:

The Division Bell - Pink Floyd

PULSE - Pink Floyd

2000s:

Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81 - Pink Floyd

In the Flesh Live - Roger Waters

The Who Live at the Royal Albert Hall

Endless Wire - The Who

On an Island - David Gilmour

Remember that Night - David Gilmour

I know that the last one isn't released until later this year but i know that it will be great. There is still some great music being released, it's just most of it is being written by people who began when most music was good.

There is still some great music being released, it's just most of it is being written by people who began when most music was good.

To the contrary, while many of those artists continue to milk their pasts there's plenty of artists out there equally deserving of airplay. Unless you're some kind of cookie-cutter, soundalike band your chances of airplay are nil, that's why I'm thankful each and every day for stuff like satellite radio where those artists can actually be heard.

Archived