LP Studio and Playing Stairway AND Hotel California And equipment maniac

LedZeppfan1977

After kicking myself for years for selling my 81 LP, Black Beauty with mother of pearly inlays, cream color pick guard, and before they started to make them lighter, I decided buying a Taylor was the best thing to do because you can basically play it anywhere without pissing off someone.  A friend of mine comes back, a  childhood friend who lived next door, and after being an MP in the US Army for years and then living in Colorado and two failed marriages he went out and bought a guitar a month for 30 months!!!  Yes.  He has 30 guitars, all kinds of amps and pedals and even 2 bass guitars and a keyboard.   Maniac.  Did it because in his words  "no woman is going to tell me what I can buy or own any more".  LOL.   You get the idea.  

So he has 3 Les Pauls.  I asked him, could I borrow one?  I wanted the Carribean Blue he has but he lent me the one that is a Les Paul Studio, and he brings all of his guitars to a Luthier to have them souped up if you will.  Equipment maniac.  So its like a tobacco burst.  Studio like I said.  He offered me to buy this guitar for $800.  Which I think is fair considering.  I had given him an Epiphone that had a busted bridge . He took it straight to his luthier and put $300 into it and its like new now.  Maniac.  So does anyone here share an opinion on a studio that they are indeed a step below a standard?  Am I wrong?  I am considering buying it but here is the thing.  I change the tunings often.  Because to play certain songs you must. Kashmir for example. And while we are on that topic, do you think it makes a difference in open D tuning it DADGAD or DADF#AD?  So F sharp as opposed to A on the G or 3 string?  Then I get to the last question you may find crazy.  We know Jimmy Page uses a double neck 12 string to play Stairway.  Well I can play the song on Acoustic and then of course the lead is supposed to be on electric.  I finally put in the work to get down the lead (solo) on electric.  You cant play both at once obviously.  Has anyone ever attempted to combine a double neck with one being acoustic and the other electric?  I understand it would be very bulky but lets' say they put a Martin neck fun on top or bottom and the Les Paul neck on the other ??  Hs it ever been attempted?  That way you could actually play Stairway or Hotel California without having two guitarists.    Well you could play Stairway just on electric of course.  If you have never played Hotel California, you use a capo in the 7th fret.  Use Em, C, and D without the high string, formations an you can figure it out by ear.  The main riff.  Or find Don Felder on YouTube and he can show you.

Please, only answer my questions if you are indeed a player.  It matters not if you have played for 30 years or 3 years.  I would prefer at least an intermediate level guitarist or higher .  Thanks.  Keep playing folks.  Its fun.  

Oh, back to the lending of equipment. I am sure the LP he lent me is the "dog shit" of his collection. At least in his own mind.  He also let me borrow an Orange amp.  I do not like it. I have set the fucking thing to all of the 30 settings. Many of the higher ones are with a delay. I do not need that shit. And I dont like the sound. Told him it might be good for a jazz guitarist and he went up and down on me.  LOL.  Maniac.  

Oh, I bought a new Marshall!!!  Yippee!!!! I love it. Of course of all the equipment he has, no Marshall.  His fav band is LZ.  Agrees with me on that. We also agree like many of you do not, that Led Zeppelin IV is the best album ever created.  Love the Marshall.  I bought it at the House of Guitars in Rochester.  Eddie Van Halen has shopped there. 

Lastly, I  an buy a brand new LP Stardard for $2,699 at the HOG.  I do not like how tight the strings are set on Maniac's Stuido.  I already busted the high E by tuning back and forth from open D.  What say he all?  The Studio for $800 or the Standard for $2,699?  Opinions welcome.

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

8 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The Studio for $800 or the Standard for $2,699?  Opinions welcome.

Price?  Immaterial.  Looks?  Immaterial.
How do they play?  Which is the most fun?  Which one can you make sing?  That's how you choose.

2 hours ago, woz70 said:

Price?  Immaterial.  Looks?  Immaterial.
How do they play?  Which is the most fun?  Which one can you make sing?  That's how you choose.

Well my buddy who has tons of equipment is the kind of guy that runs to his Luthier and tries to make these instruments perfect.  But I do not like the bends on this guitar.  Its just too tight and I hate stringing guitars.  I do change the tunings a bit, which will stretch them of course. While I have someone to respond, do you play Kashmir?  If so, I am tuning the guitar DADGAD.  Would it be better to tune the G string to F# as used in some drop D tunings?  I think only once did I see it listed to do it that way for Kashmir.  

The tab sites are pure shit. Ever since OLGA.net was run out by the damn lawyers for copyright laws I am guessing, that was the best site.  Very accurate.  It never came back. So the first site you would see if you Google free guitar tabs is I believe Ultimate Guitar tabs.  Its bullshit as they want all your info and want you to join.  Guitar Tab Universe is good.  At least the best one I have found since the great OLGA left. Its good to knokw what key a song is in at the very least.  Not all of it is accurate however, the tabs with star ratings next to them are generally the best. They  have bass tabs too.  Songster is fair.  But much is not accurate.  Ill see if you respond to above  Thanks   Rick

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

But I do not like the bends on this guitar.  Its just too tight and I hate stringing guitars.

Simple - put lighter strings on.

do you play Kashmir?  If so, I am tuning the guitar DADGAD.

DADGAD all the way.

The tab sites are pure shit. Ever since OLGA.net was run out by the damn lawyers for copyright laws I am guessing, that was the best site.  Very accurate.  It never came back. So the first site you would see if you Google free guitar tabs is I believe Ultimate Guitar tabs.  Its bullshit as they want all your info and want you to join.  Guitar Tab Universe is good.  At least the best one I have found since the great OLGA left. Its good to knokw what key a song is in at the very least.  Not all of it is accurate however, the tabs with star ratings next to them are generally the best. They  have bass tabs too.  Songster is fair.  But much is not accurate.  Ill see if you respond to above  Thanks   Rick

Avoid TAB sites like the plague.  Working it out for yourself is always best.  You may not get get it quite right to start with....
But the more you play, the more you'll hear for yourself if you're playing something 'right' or not.
The more you play, the easier you'll be able to work other stuff out.
Sometimes it can be convenient to know if something is in an alternative tuning before you try and play it.... I mean, I learned to play most of The Rain Song in standard tuning (by listening to the version on The Song Remains The Same) before I figured out it was in an altered tuning. The very last section is really difficult to play in standard though, so it became obvious something odd was going on.  Generally you can work it out.  Your ears are the best and most useful tools you have as a musician.  Sooooo many people learn stuff from TAB, can hear that it's not quite right but convince themselves that it must be right because that is what the TAB says....

Well my buddy who has tons of equipment....

My experience is that people who have loads of guitars fall into two camps:  Those who play loads of guitars not very well, but have a serious case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (generally the 'if I get this guitar it will magically transform me into a great player' type); or the pro's/busy giggers who have a couple of main guitars (so you can swap if there's a string breakage, or one is loaded with humbuckers and another single-coils for songs that require different tones) and have others permanently set to different tunings.  There's nothing worse than going to a gig where the guitarist spends most of his time changing tunings between songs, rather than just playing.  I personally have 5 electric guitars - my main is a battered Les Paul Deluxe that's over 50 years old, my backup is a Hagstrom Super Swede (which covers 'bucker and single coil duties with the coil tap switch), a Squier Telecaster I was given and have modified with Fender noiseless pickups, an Aria 12-string because I wanted a 12-string electric(!), and a Gretsch Baritone because it growls beautifully.  That lot give me every sound I'll ever need.  They all have different characters and tones, and I honestly can't think of another electric that i need.
For me, having three versions of the same guitar is like having three identical hammers - they all do the same job, so what's the point of the two spares?

Edited by woz70

On 11/6/2021 at 9:31 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

We know Jimmy Page uses a double neck 12 string to play Stairway.  Well I can play the song on Acoustic and then of course the lead is supposed to be on electric.  I finally put in the work to get down the lead (solo) on electric.  You cant play both at once obviously.  Has anyone ever attempted to combine a double neck with one being acoustic and the other electric?  I understand it would be very bulky but lets' say they put a Martin neck fun on top or bottom and the Les Paul neck on the other ??  Hs it ever been attempted?  That way you could actually play Stairway or Hotel California without having two guitarists.    Well you could play Stairway just on electric of course.  

Easiest way is an electric Double-Neck with piezo saddles on the six string neck, and a separate amp for the 'acoustic' sounds.  That way you don't have to worry about horrible resonances (and the bulk) of an acoustic guitar body when playing the electric 12-string and lead sections.  Or just get a variax and dial in acoustic/12-string electric/lead when you need it.
An acoustic/electric doubleneck would a be true abomination, that would probably require some form of scaffolding or a crane.

Edited by woz70
Stupidity

16 hours ago, woz70 said:

Simple - put lighter strings on.

DADGAD all the way.

Avoid TAB sites like the plague.  Working it out for yourself is always best.  You may not get get it quite right to start with....
But the more you play, the more you'll hear for yourself if you're playing something 'right' or not.
The more you play, the easier you'll be able to work other stuff out.
Sometimes it can be convenient to know if something is in an alternative tuning before you try and play it.... I mean, I learned to play most of The Rain Song in standard tuning (by listening to the version on The Song Remains The Same) before I figured out it was in an altered tuning. The very last section is really difficult to play in standard though, so it became obvious something odd was going on.  Generally you can work it out.  Your ears are the best and most useful tools you have as a musician.  Sooooo many people learn stuff from TAB, can hear that it's not quite right but convince themselves that it must be right because that is what the TAB says....

My experience is that people who have loads of guitars fall into two camps:  Those who play loads of guitars not very well, but have a serious case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (generally the 'if I get this guitar it will magically transform me into a great player' type); or the pro's/busy giggers who have a couple of main guitars (so you can swap if there's a string breakage, or one is loaded with humbuckers and another single-coils for songs that require different tones) and have others permanently set to different tunings.  There's nothing worse than going to a gig where the guitarist spends most of his time changing tunings between songs, rather than just playing.  I personally have 5 electric guitars - my main is a battered Les Paul Deluxe that's over 50 years old, my backup is a Hagstrom Super Swede (which covers 'bucker and single coil duties with the coil tap switch), a Squier Telecaster I was given and have modified with Fender noiseless pickups, an Aria 12-string because I wanted a 12-string electric(!), and a Gretsch Baritone because it growls beautifully.  That lot give me every sound I'll ever need.  They all have different characters and tones, and I honestly can't think of another electric that i need.
For me, having three versions of the same guitar is like having three identical hammers - they all do the same job, so what's the point of the two spares?

First of all, thanks for responding!  You know what I told him?  I told him the nice thing about having multiple guitars is you can tune them all to the different tunings you use and leave them be!  What an advantage.  But he does not do it. Agrees with my logic but then wades off back into his syndrome.  You nailed that one.  That is him in a nutshell. He should just be a luthier.  A term I had never heard until recently even though I knew a found one that finally figured out the problem with a LP Studio my ex wire and a late friend had bought me for a birthday.  I had the guitar in tune, but when I played the higher frets, especially using bar chords, it just sounded bad.  So finally I found this guy and he figured it out.  I had the horrible luck of GETTING A GUITAR THAT GIBSON MADE A MISTAKE ON IN THE FACTORY.   Can you believe this?   The neck was pitched wrong.  So it was way too  late to take it back.  I go to a guitar store, and i still feel guilty for doing this because it was not the same store that messed it up, really it was not their fault either, it was Gibsons.  But I still love Gibson guitars.  Shit happens.  It cost me so  much wasted time.  So I tell the guy, I want to trade my Les Paul for an acoustic.  So I find an Ovation that at the time was $700 new.  And you know how well Ovations are built.   Made by people that design airplanes.  He bit, I ran like hell and never went back.  I hope the poor guy figured it out. The shady stores will get their money.  

So back to the maniac with the Luthier syndrome.  Ill call it that for the sake of brevity.  He has a couple of screws loose but not his fault. Fought in the Iraq war.  Lucky to be alive.  Survived two wives.  Two burned marriages that lasted less than 10 years each.   Worse than war.  He spends more time playing with water sports and shit like that. Always finding projects and blows me off.  Not a serious player but a serious gear snob, which he calls me.  Guilty as charged.  Its Gibson Les Paul and Marshall amps and to hell with everything else.  I dont like Fenders.  But acoustics are another story.  I like many, but have a Taylor now.  He let me borrow an ORANGE   Ever use one?  So many damn settings. 32 or something like that choices and most of the high numbers are for delay.  No sustain on anything.  I cant stand it. I figure its better than the Epiphone practice piece of rubbish I was using.  Speaking of Epiphone, he has a burgundy one that I would rate as his best guitar and so does he.  He has it totally souped up by his Luthier.  Humbuckers, mother of pearl inlays and and whole shabang. Plays like a dream.  Got to hold it once and of course he lends me the dog shit of his collection in his eyes.  3 Les Pauls.  I ask to use the Blue and he gives me the sunburst because that is the type of prick he can be. Do not be confused, I do appreciate the use of his equipment. But its basically all sealed up in a huge room, tons of equipment going unused.  He has a motorcycle and had some woman he knew from childhood shack up with him.  Still have not met her. Saw one picture.  She was covered in black leather. LOL.  Well I have written enough for now.  Thanks again for responding.  Rick

16 hours ago, woz70 said:

Easiest way is an electric Double-Neck with piezo saddles on the six string neck, and a separate amp for the 'acoustic' sounds.  That way you don't have to worry about horrible resonances (and the bulk) of an acoustic guitar body when playing the electric 12-string and lead sections.  Or just get a variax and dial in acoustic/12-string electric/lead when you need it.
An acoustic/electric doubleneck would a be true abomination, that would probably require some form of scaffolding or a crane.

Thanks for your response.   Very wise all you said.  It would be quite an invention if someone could pull it off.  I mean a a double neck with a small acoustic neck and body (Martin) and the LP on the other neck.  Good luck.  Just a thought.  I know such a thing does not exist but I guess something like it does ? Piezo saddles?  Above my pay grade.  Talk again.   Rick

Well, my #1 guitar, the one I used the most when I used to gig back in the day is my LP Studio (Wine red with cream pickguard and Grover tuners). I simply love this guitar. It plays just beautifully and has almost endless tones with the coil splitting. Extremely versatile guitar and it's super fun to play, not a chore at all. For me, I would take this over a standard or even deluxe any day because it just fits. 

I guess when it comes down to it guitars are like light sabers, you find one which speaks to you regardless of brand, look, or cost. I consider myself lucky as I bought this axe in BC Canada (Vancouver) back in 2001 for $800 and the retail was $1,500 so I got a deal too.

I prefer a heavier string for the tone and sustain so I play .10's instead of the .09's or even .08's which are very popular. Since I have been obsessive about practicing my bends on a practice guitar with .12's on, I can bend the living shit on .10's with no problem. Learned a long time ago to have a practice guitar set up with heavy strings and shitty, high action, that way when you pick up the old gigging axe, playing is simply effortless. Plus I use my practice guitar (a Schechter) for most of my slide work because of the heavy strings and high action. Slide work has always been my biggest challenge, I just cannot do it well on a good guitar with nice, low action. But that Schechter is just perfect for me on slide, sounds great with slide, and cost me $200 back in 2003. I guess it's my Dan Electro type guitar 🙂 

Another aside, most players are always "chasing the tone" of their favorite players which is fine but I just never understood why. I can play fairly well but cannot actually create or write my own stuff so it was important I develop my own tone and style. I play the songs how I want to play them, not how Jimmy, Jimi, EVH, or whoever played them. I just prefer to put my own stamp on things as a creative process. Take Jimmy's playing of OTHAFA & NQ on the Strat for the May 18th & 23rd 1975 gigs as an example. I much prefer the Strat on both of those songs to the LP by a country mile. Just my preference.

Edited by BobDobbs

On 11/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, BobDobbs said:

Well, my #1 guitar, the one I used the most when I used to gig back in the day is my LP Studio (Wine red with cream pickguard and Grover tuners). I simply love this guitar. It plays just beautifully and has almost endless tones with the coil splitting. Extremely versatile guitar and it's super fun to play, not a chore at all. For me, I would take this over a standard or even deluxe any day because it just fits. 

I guess when it comes down to it guitars are like light sabers, you find one which speaks to you regardless of brand, look, or cost. I consider myself lucky as I bought this axe in BC Canada (Vancouver) back in 2001 for $800 and the retail was $1,500 so I got a deal too.

I prefer a heavier string for the tone and sustain so I play .10's instead of the .09's or even .08's which are very popular. Since I have been obsessive about practicing my bends on a practice guitar with .12's on, I can bend the living shit on .10's with no problem. Learned a long time ago to have a practice guitar set up with heavy strings and shitty, high action, that way when you pick up the old gigging axe, playing is simply effortless. Plus I use my practice guitar (a Schechter) for most of my slide work because of the heavy strings and high action. Slide work has always been my biggest challenge, I just cannot do it well on a good guitar with nice, low action. But that Schechter is just perfect for me on slide, sounds great with slide, and cost me $200 back in 2003. I guess it's my Dan Electro type guitar 🙂 

Another aside, most players are always "chasing the tone" of their favorite players which is fine but I just never understood why. I can play fairly well but cannot actually create or write my own stuff so it was important I develop my own tone and style. I play the songs how I want to play them, not how Jimmy, Jimi, EVH, or whoever played them. I just prefer to put my own stamp on things as a creative process. Take Jimmy's playing of OTHAFA & NQ on the Strat for the May 18th & 23rd 1975 gigs as an example. I much prefer the Strat on both of those songs to the LP by a country mile. Just my preference.

The heavier strings do not help with the string bends even if the action is great.  I am using a studio.  Do you know who Sped Spedding is?  A buddy fo Robert Plant and one hell of a guitarist. He has lessons on YouTube.  I was playing some LZ stuff that he really helped me out with.  Ten Years Gone specifically.  A very complicated and complex mix and Page originally intended it for a pure instrumental and then Robert Plant came up with the  lyrics based on an old girlfriend from 10 years back.   A true classic that is overlooked big time

• 7 months later...
What instruments are used in Hotel California?🙂😃

Personnel
  • Don Felder: 12-string acoustic guitar, 6-string electric guitar, backing vocals.
  • Don Henley: lead vocals, drums, percussion.
  • Glenn Frey: 12-string acoustic guitar, backing vocals.
  • Joe Walsh: electric guitar, backing vocals.
  • Randy Meisner: bass, backing vocals.