Suggestions for expanding my music taste?

hentai

I am sick of modern bands and the music industry today. I used to like bands like Bloc Party and The Killers when they first came out but the record industry just looked at them and were like 'ooooooh they're popular lets sign 1000 mor bands that sound exactly the same because their records sell'. Either that or its just crappy emotionless pop music. The music industry has lost all its integrity and there doesn't seem to be much talent about, any real talent just goes unnoticed. I want to get some new music but can only see the way forward as being to go backwards and find older music which i seem to prefer.

So, sorry for the rant, but has anyone got any suggestions for stuff i just HAVE to listen to? If you like i can give you a brief summary of the kind of bands i already love..

I am sick of modern bands and the music industry today. I used to like bands like Bloc Party and The Killers when they first came out but the record industry just looked at them and were like 'ooooooh they're popular lets sign 1000 mor bands that sound exactly the same because their records sell'. Either that or its just crappy emotionless pop music. The music industry has lost all its integrity and there doesn't seem to be much talent about, any real talent just goes unnoticed. I want to get some new music but can only see the way forward as being to go backwards and find older music which i seem to prefer.

So, sorry for the rant, but has anyone got any suggestions for stuff i just HAVE to listen to? If you like i can give you a brief summary of the kind of bands i already love..

How about Zero 7. :rolleyes:

PORCUPINE TREE - British prog geniuses! On their last album (Fear of a Blank Planet) they had Robert Fripp (King Crimson guitarist) guest and Alex Lifeson (Rush guitarist)

THE ANSWER - Young British classic rock/blues band.

BLACK STONE CHERRY - what I would describe as 'heavy metal blues.'

RATTLESNAKE REMEDY - almost completely unknown new british blues/rock band.

I agree with your first post hentai, though you just need to dig deep into the music genres to find something that sounds different, the music that you and the rest of us Zep fans like aren't what the music industry show to the main public, who tend to like Rap,RnB, Alternative etc.

Though one band I'm starting to get into are Alter Bridge.

I'd call them heavy/rock, though I like a couple of their tracks.

We need to wait till the 2060's before music starts getting good again :P.

I understand your complaints about the way the music industry tries to piggyback on successful styles, but I don't know why this is just suddenly a problem for you or anyone else, the industry has always done this and always will. And as always, if you don't like what's popular, go underground. That's my suggestion to you.

Someone suggested Porcupine Tree and I wholeheartedly support that. They are one of the best bands around today in my opinion and one of the few I like. I don't go near any modern bands...but this one is different. They are amazing live...I saw them a month ago. Check out their Deadwing album...go on YouTube and listen to the song "Lazarus" by them. They have been around since roughly 1991...but they have just gone from strength to strength over the years. :thumbsup:

Also check out Bert Jansch...big influence on Jimmy Page. :thumbsup:

I understand your complaints about the way the music industry tries to piggyback on successful styles, but I don't know why this is just suddenly a problem for you or anyone else, the industry has always done this and always will. And as always, if you don't like what's popular, go underground. That's my suggestion to you.

Im 17. Up to the age of about 12 i was happy to listen to bands like S club 7 etc. After that i was too influenced by my friends and to busy suffering hormonal torment to get into new and different music. Then just before I was 14 i found Zep and they've pretty much been my main listening material since, except for obviously other bands that i have found along the way that are pretty ok. But now i'm looking for new stuff, so yes, the music industry has always been like this but actually it has only just become a problem for me because of the aforementioned reasons!

Sorry if that sounded bitchy, i didnt mean it to :)

Come, my friend, and bask in the glory that is Radiohead. (aka The Most Powerful Band That Have Ever Existed In The World Of The Universe) They've been going since '92 or so, but if you don't listen to them that needs to change.

youtube clips from one of their concerts: Glastonbury 2003.

2+2=5

You go and buy OK Computer, Hail To The Thief, Kid A, Amnesiac, In Rainbows, The Bends... any of those. All of them. Radiohead does not disappoint.

...what were you expecting me to suggest?

Come, my friend, and bask in the glory that is Radiohead. (aka The Most Powerful Band That Have Ever Existed In The World Of The Universe) They've been going since '92 or so, but if you don't listen to them that needs to change.

youtube clips from one of their concerts: Glastonbury 2003.

2+2=5

You go and buy OK Computer, Hail To The Thief, Kid A, Amnesiac, In Rainbows, The Bends... any of those. All of them. Radiohead does not disappoint.

...what were you expecting me to suggest?

Actually I'm a big radiohead fan already! Im going to see them in June :yay:

Actually I'm a big radiohead fan already! Im going to see them in June :yay:

Then you're one up on me. They haven't even announced US dates yet... and when they do I'm predicting a handful on each coast. Totally freezing me out again. :(

Then you're one up on me. They haven't even announced US dates yet... and when they do I'm predicting a handful on each coast. Totally freezing me out again. :(

Awww no! Well you never know, hopefully you'll get lucky! I cant wait, i've got a recording of their glastonbury performance (dont know what year it was) and it is absolutely amazing. Sorry to rub it in... :D

Three legends from the 60's and 70's. The first two should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In fact, they should kick out a couple of current members and put Leon and Harry in.

Harry Nilsson - Buy Nilsson Schmilsson. Contains the hits "Without You", "Coconut" and "Jump into the Fire". Or, if you can find the two CD retrospective, buy it. Or buy a greatest hits.

Leon Russell - Carney is a good starting point. Contains the hits, "Tightrope", "Queen of the Roller Derby" plus a couple others you might even know. Or, If you can find the two CD retrospective, buy it. Or buy a greatest hits.

Badfinger - The original power pop band!! Buy the remastered version of Straight Up with bonus tracks. Contains a couple of big hits "Day After Day" and "Baby Blue". What an incredible collection. 3 out of the 4 members are dead, two via suicide. If you must, buy a greatest hits collection.

As for 'suggestions for expanding my music taste' the only sources I use are a few key members here (BigBadZep, Kith Kannan, Jahfin, Joelmon are the big un's.) I pay attention to what they post about and check it out.

I used to use the Radiohead forum at greenplastic.com but most everyone there was an insufferable indie elitist who seemed to spend all day and night just digging for bands that no one else had ever heard of, as though knowing about bands that no one else did made them better than you. What a weird sub-culture the underground has developed.

Have you gone through: T-Rex, all the Ozzy era Sabbath, 70's era UFO, Robin Trower, Blue Oyster Cult, Steeley Dan (a personal fav!), the Allman Brothers, Jeff Beck (especially Wired and Blow by Blow), the Outlaws (Green Grass and High Tides is amazing!), Wes Montgomery (Jazz), ZZ Top (Tres Hombres is a must!), there is a killer 4 disk motown set that is a great primer for motown (I'm a huge James Jamerson fan), Cheap Trick?

For post 70's stuff I love Splender (1st album Half Way Down The Sky), Big Wreck's first album, CKY, Jump Little Children's "Magazine" is a fantastic record, Govt. Mule, Injected, Jeff Buckley, The Smiths/Morrisey, Third Eye Blind (Especially "Blue"), the Cars (still late 70s), Ryan Adams "Rock and Roll Album", Robert Cray (Blues). Just to name a few.

Im 17. Up to the age of about 12 i was happy to listen to bands like S club 7 etc. After that i was too influenced by my friends and to busy suffering hormonal torment to get into new and different music. Then just before I was 14 i found Zep and they've pretty much been my main listening material since, except for obviously other bands that i have found along the way that are pretty ok. But now i'm looking for new stuff, so yes, the music industry has always been like this but actually it has only just become a problem for me because of the aforementioned reasons!

Sorry if that sounded bitchy, i didnt mean it to :)

Heh, it's ok. I didn't even think that could be interpreted as bitchy until you mentioned it at the end.

No apology needed for the rant. Everyone is entitled to one.

I asked my two older kids and their friends (who are here for winter break) what they listen to and they gave me some of the same names that everyone else listed:

Radiohead

The Manics

Porcupine Tree

Paolo Nutini

White Stripes

Black Keys

They have seen these bands live. In addition to concerts, they all go to clubs (sometimes very small clubs) to hear new bands and new music. My husband and I have encouraged them to go out and do that because that is how we lived when we were their age: going to concerts and clubs and finding and experiencing new music live. It's a process of discovery. Sometimes you will hear something that's OK and other times you'll hear something that's just awful but there will be times when you hear something incredible. Have fun and enjoy it!

Edited to add: All these kids are in college and they're all over the age of 18.

Yknow, I've found that the way I've gotten into new music is by joining a forum focused on a newer band that I really love. OK, I'm a nerd, I know. But I never would have found out about many of my musical loves had it not been for forums. Hell, three or four years ago now, I remember Poor Tom (anyone remember him?!) talking about how FREAKING AMAZING the Black Keys were, so I checked them out and BAM! LOVE THEM. Look at indie groups, check out supporting artists for these bands, go to their shows, find out who's being talked about on Pitchfork or Billboard or some other music site -- find the little piddly bands that nobody really knows but are completely uberly amazing. Then go to a tiny show of theirs and be blown away. There are some AMAZING bands out there, but sometimes you have to dig rather deep.

I love the Black Keys. And Alter Bridge. I'd recommend to anyone on these forums who hasn't to look into the Black Keys. Everyone I've exposed them to either liked or loved their music. I can't say enough, they are freaking amazing.

Archived