Suggestions for expanding my music taste?

hentai

Islington is where we used to go to a punk rock club. I remember the first time we went to London, we stayed in Earls Court and the first night there, we looked at a map and thought that it was just walk to Islington! :lol:

Oh my god! I bet you walked for hours. I did a similar thing when I saw the Stones at Wembley, got of the train at St. Pancras and just started walking.... it didn't look that far away on the map :lol: It took about 4 hours! We 'begged' a lift back to the station after the concert had finished :)

Yes, we were very lucky to have been able to get to those XTC concerts during the late 70's-80's. We were even more fortunate in that, in addition to seeing those sorts of bands in LA and NYC, we were able to get to London for some shows! London was very exciting then and, being young and foolish, we felt like we were "hot stuff" being over there during that time. :lol:

I'm not familiar with "The Dukes of Stratosphere" but I'll ask my husband. He was much more into the music and has a better memory for the bands.

That moment in time was a lot of fun. Post Disco ,and a return to the live music that had some real passion to it. The SKA bands of the era.... Specials, English Beat, The Selector to name a few ... along with XTC, The early Police, Elvis etc. It shows you what live music can do..... don't be so serious about it. OHHHH I hate to say it ..but,,,,, JUST DO IT

I got to see the Penguin Cafe Orchestra a couple of days after the Zeppelin concert. It was an anniversary concert marking the death of Simon Jeffes. It took place in the Union Chapel in Islington, London. It was very intimate and an incredibly moving evening - another fantastic experience that I thought I'd never ever witness.

Dam, didnt know about that or I'd have been there aswell.

Oh my god! I bet you walked for hours. I did a similar thing when I saw the Stones at Wembley, got of the train at St. Pancras and just started walking.... it didn't look that far away on the map :lol: It took about 4 hours! We 'begged' a lift back to the station after the concert had finished :)

We did! Thankfully, when we went into a shop to get directions, someone was kind enough to give us a lift. :lol: I know what you mean about the maps! Very deceiving. That, and the fact that everyone told us that "London is a small city." :lol: Your Stones experience! 4 hours! Lucky for you that you found a lift too.

• 2 months later...

You want good modern underground bands, I'm your man. B)

65daysofstatic (Instrumental experimental/post rock - AMAZING)

The Jai-Alai Savant (Indie/punk)

The Bird And The Bee (IndieIndieIndie)

The Dear Hunter (I'm blanking...)

Idiot Pilot (They remind me of Radiohead)

Kayo Dot (a little obscure...)

Koto's Sighting (Local band where I live - clicky)

Múm (Experimental/electronica)

The Parson Red Heads (IndieIndieIndie)

Sondre Lerche (Acoustic)

Ungdomskulen (Weird mix of styles...)

The Mars Volta (If you haven't checked them out, do it)

Of course if you have a heavier taste I'm sure I can accommodate that too. B)

I know what you mean about the music industry, bands today and everything. Most of it really is just more of the same. That's why I stick to underground bands! Takes a bit of digging to find 'em, but it's totally worth it.

XTC! This board is like a trip down memory lane for me. My husband and I used to go hear them play in the late 70's - early 80's - and we'd dance! Our favorite was "Generals and Majors". During that same era, another band that we liked even better than XTC was the "The English Beat" - faster and better music for dancing. Thanks for the clip.

One of the very few times we have disagreed about music - hated XTC then, still can't bear them now! :lol:

I'm sure some of these have been mentioned before, but here are some of my personal favourites...

Ryan Adams (solo or with The Cardinals)

Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

David Bowie

T. Rex

Stone Temple Pilots

Alice In Chains

Smashing Pumpkins

Radiohead

The Beatles (obviously)

the soundtrack to Across The Universe

the soundtrack to O Brother Where Art Thou

Lily Allen

Amy Winehouse

Jane's Addiction

Tonic

Ryan Adams (solo or with The Cardinals)

Do you like Whiskeytown or any of Caitlin's solo stuff as well as her latest venture, Tres Chicas? What about the band Skillet currently plays in, Patty Hurst Shifter?

Try listening to jazz. Seriously, put the rock music down for awhile and really broaden your horizons.

Start with some classic 70's fusion: Mahavishnu Orchestra "Inner Mounting Flame" or "Birds of Fire"......people talk about the worlds "greatest guitar player" here. You really want to hear one? Listen to John McLaughlin who formed this band. Also, try listening to another great fusion band called Return To Forever and an album of theirs "Romantic Warrior". This album borders on prog in places, jazz in others.........tremendous record.

After you get through these, then you might discover acoustic jazz. Or you might just be happy with fusion music. Either way, the musicianship here is on a completely different level than what you're used to hearing.

Have fun.

Regards;

I second this, Jazz Fusion is very different from Rock. You will enjoy it, I assure you. In addition to those you mentioned, I would add Miles Davis, who I've found is a very good composer and musician.

And if you're looking for some modern Jazz Fusion, you, and everyone here has to check out this album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnation_%28album%29

If you're not into Progressive Metal you will NOT like their other albums however. On THIS album It is all very mellow, and the whole band are superb musicians and extremely diverse.

LISTEN TO IT NOW!!!

Also check out their cover of Deep Purple's "Soldier of Fortune"

Archived