Robert Plant | Alison Krauss - Raise the Roof

Well folks, thanks to an old friend in Arizona, I managed to bag the USA Target 2LP version of Raise the Roof (with the two bonus tracks as per the deluxe edition) and get it sent across the pond. It's on the platter now, and by Zeus, it sounds fabulous. Lovely pressing, love the mix, love the vibe. Yes, it's the same blueprint as Raising Sand, but if you're already a fan, then that don't matter. It'd be like criticising AC/DC for never changing.

A stand-out track for me is the Anne Briggs song, Go Your Way, which is just a tragically beautiful song, led by RP. The Price of Love, originally by the Everley Brothers, is another one, with yet another seemingly effortless vocal by AK. I suppose if I had one criticism, I wish they had more of her fiddle playing on this album, but hey, we have that gorgeous fiddle solo on Please Read The Letter.

Shout out to anyone who's had a relationship break down in this time of Covid; here's some healing tunes for ya. Cos that's what great music does. We shall see if I can make one of their 2022 shows in Europe. Meanwhile, dig it (dig btw probably comes from the Irish túig, meaning to understand).

What are your favourite tracks?

I'd like to give a shout-out to Canadian blues musician Colin Linden, who plays resonator guitar on the song 'Last Kind Words Blues'.

Here's Colin below accepting a Grammy award last year for co-producing Keb' Mo's 2019 album Oklahoma.

Edited by RushFanForever
Spelling correction on word

• 2 weeks later...

I have come to the conclusion that I have little or no interest in listening to any of Roberts new music. It doesn't do anything for me other than for the fact of who he is, singing the songs. There is not enough energy in his collaborations with Allison or with the SSS, to make me listen to more than a song or two or buy the albums.

I held on for a long time with his ever changing solo career, always defending him to those who expected him to still be the Golden God and play with Led Zeppelin, blah blah blah...

For the last 10 years or so the music has been pretty much the same sounds to my ears. While I appreciate his contributions I find it hard to listen to anything new from him. it just isn't exciting to me

Edited by Rock Historian

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 9:52 PM, Rock Historian said:

I have come to the conclusion that I have little or no interest in listening to any of Roberts new music. It doesn't do anything for me other than for the fact of who he is, singing the songs. There is not enough energy in his collaborations with Allison or with the SSS, to make me listen to more than a song or two or buy the albums.

I held on for a long time with his ever changing solo career, always defending him to those who expected him to still be the Golden God and play with Led Zeppelin, blah blah blah...

For the last 10 years or so the music has been pretty much the same sounds to my ears. While I appreciate his contributions I find it hard to listen to anything new from him. it just isn't exciting to me

I know a lot of people think  the same thing

HOWEVER  That was BEFORE this happened:

LISTEN to this  brother  we caught his live show with the SSS Somewhere in Indiana I think a year or two ago . Allison was also on the bill but they did not play together, and the final show was Willie Nelson! 

I gota  tellya  I don’t think them willy Nelson fans we’re expecting what they experienced . They are  real loyal fans of  Willy  kinda a family And I can tell they were just kinda eh! When Plant came out  it was the loudest roar of the night so far and you  could see eyes rolling etc. while they “sat” there because I don’t think they ever stand up  for Willys laid-back show Ever ! they all sat there quietly listen to the other acts so far 

BUT plant was sO charming up there!!!!

And the songs that they didn’t even  know  like the one called ???  Something like?  , yea!   “turn it up”.  If you go listen to that song on the album and then think about how good  it could possibly  sound “live” . With the crowed joining in at the ah aAA ..... lil different But not unlike  plants earlier SOLO song “slow dancer”  yrs ago etc! Next thing you know everybody was standing up and NO 1 sat down for the rest of his performance!

He gained so many new fans that night!!!

I don’t know if he was trying to show off for Allison or just wanted to put the main attraction of the night in their place or what but

He literally stole the show !!! 

Everybody was talking about  how amazing they were , I know they didn’t like him before NOW we’re just blowed away!!!

I assure you >>> U would have enjoyed how he presented that music & himself !

you would have been PROUD of him!

(“AAW SO GOOD”!!!!!  RP quote at the end of the song  “the ocean”? )

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss are the latest guests on the Partners podcast by Hrishikesh Hirway. In the episode, RP and Alison Krauss discuss the origins of their partnership and their approach to Raise The Roof and Raising Sand. Listen here https://partners.show/robert-and-alison

https://partners.show/robert-and-alison

Partners-Robert-Alison.jpg

Very much looking forward to the Plant/Krauss tour stop near mem June 3, Saratoga Springs, NY.   

It will only be the second time ever in my life that I will get to see a member of Zep in the flesh - the only other time was my very first rock concert when I was around, the Firm at Nassau Coliseum, 1986!  So very stoked and grateful to see someone who has had such a large effect on my life and so many others. Cheers!

image.jpeg.80142ea2a4bc9dcef7ddf53bf81c698c.jpeg

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, cousinlouie said:

Saw the show tonight, Incredible. 6 songs from Raising Sand, 11 songs from Raise The Roof, Then rock and Roll, Battle Of Evermore, and an incredible When The Levee Breaks

OMG!!!!!  Good for you getting to see it.  Good thing the rainstorm that we got came earlier and not during the show.  I cant believe they played those songs.  I expected Thank You and Thats the Way maybe.  Rock and Roll?  Seriously?  The crowd must have had plenty of LZ die hards?

16 hours ago, cousinlouie said:

Saw the show tonight, Incredible. 6 songs from Raising Sand, 11 songs from Raise The Roof, Then rock and Roll, Battle Of Evermore, and an incredible When The Levee Breaks

That's awesome. But, hoping for a couple more LZ songs then just three of them. I'm from the NYC area but won't be seeing them at Forest Hills this weekend but in Philly the following weekend. We have six of us going and should be a fun weekend!

Thanks to all who posted the articles and videos! Looks like the closest place he'll be in concert to me is in Lake Tahoe, Nevada. I like Lake Tahoe.

Edited by luvlz2

On 6/2/2022 at 1:39 AM, cousinlouie said:

You know I am i Penfield every damn day.  We live very close. Maybe some day we should have a beer and talk LZ.  But until then, thanks for the post

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Philly show on Sunday and I thought it was much better than the show I saw back in 2008 in NYC. The two of them feed so well off each other and it was much more of a rocking. That's what happens when you add J.D. McPherson to the band. He's phenomenal and from Tulsa, OK. He was also the opening act. He did his own stuff plus Iggy's "Lust For Life." The crowd was really into both his and Robert's and Alison's set. "Battle of Evermore" was epic.

Here's a few clips from the show. Not filmed by me.

The below includes a bit on the fiddle by Alison and "Friends."

Edited by SuperDave

10 hours ago, reids said:

Thanks for sharing. I’m going to see them tonight in Atlanta. 

R😎

That's awesome. You will enjoy it so much. They put on a great show and they have a great band with them. Make sure you are there for J.D. McPherson as the opener as he's also in their band.

15 hours ago, SuperDave said:

That's awesome. You will enjoy it so much. They put on a great show and they have a great band with them. Make sure you are there for J.D. McPherson as the opener as he's also in their band.

We got there early, parked nearby and waited in line before the gates opened to get our seats, watched a great opening set (approximately 30 or so minutes of JD McPherson’s band). Then, as the sky darkened, RP & Allison Krauss were on stage (But for only 4 songs), when another person made an announcement for everyone to quickly but safely make their way to a covered area away from the venue. There were bad storms approaching quickly. We raced to the car and drive north (home). I didn’t get to see the merch table nor a complete concert. I wish they’d offer a rescheduled Atlanta concert  (Makeup date this Fall / after their European leg) for those of us who’ve waited 5 years for RP. Disappointed... 4 songs 😂

R😎

19942D7D-AEA1-42F4-9E09-D7ED2A16BD53.jpeg

3 hours ago, reids said:

We got there early, parked nearby and waited in line before the gates opened to get our seats, watched a great opening set (approximately 30 or so minutes of JD McPherson’s band). Then, as the sky darkened, RP & Allison Krauss were on stage (But for only 4 songs), when another person made an announcement for everyone to quickly but safely make their way to a covered area away from the venue. There were bad storms approaching quickly. We raced to the car and drive north (home). I didn’t get to see the merch table nor a complete concert. I wish they’d offer a rescheduled Atlanta concert  (Makeup date this Fall / after their European leg) for those of us who’ve waited 5 years for RP. Disappointed... 4 songs 😂

R😎

19942D7D-AEA1-42F4-9E09-D7ED2A16BD53.jpeg

That really stinks. I hope they reschedule it as they are returning in the Fall. Nothing you can do about the weather, just bad timing. Glad you enjoyed what you saw and J.D. who is phenomenal. You were one song short of the firt LZ song of the show which is a reworked version of RNR.

19 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

That really stinks. I hope they reschedule it as they are returning in the Fall. Nothing you can do about the weather, just bad timing. Glad you enjoyed what you saw and J.D. who is phenomenal. You were one song short of the firt LZ song of the show which is a reworked version of RNR.

Yep. Thank you. Hope so, too! 😎👍

R😎