Bootleg Album Prices

blackdogg

im sort of dissapointed in being so young (im only 22)... ive never had a chance to get any bootleg vinyls... i feel like im running out of time to ever get my hands on any good ones at a reasonable price...

the question i have is are there still any good ones on the market or is it pretty much dead? i have a ton in digital format, but being a collector, i must too have some of the vinyls. ive already ruled out ever getting my hands on a "blueberry hill" or a "dancing avacado supreme" but there has to be some alright performances still out there... right?

are my best chances at a garage sale with some unsuspecting seller who doesnt even know who zeppelin is? ebay? trade shows? underground record shops?

anyone have any input?

I have a a good number of boots on Wax, CD and Tape. I have things from the original lyrics of Stairway to live concerts from 69 through 1980 in Berlin, the last concert they played. I also have Robert, Jimmy, and JPJ boots. But I have to say my favorites are not the boots but the drum head I have from the JP and RP tour of 95 with the entire band's signatures, and one of Michael Lee's drum sticks. I was also able to walk up to the stage, I was 8th row, and ask the securtity guard if I could have the 42 foot banner with MGD presents JP and RP on it in Gold lettering. He said sure, it was the last show of the tour in George, WA. I keep it in my bedroom closet and won't let it out.

got a few myself, some colored vinyl numbered editions.

stairway to heaven - the making, paid $45 for that one back in 84, thanks to osap, ;)

(i was going to college at the time, majored in euchre)

i also have a few others that sound good and bad, but just to have them is cool.

listen to this eddie stands out, jimmy page sessionman, live at earl's court, danish televison, and a some others.

Somewhere I ended up with a cassete or two that i recorded off of vinyl that wasnt mine. Somehow I have one of the Copenhagen 79 shows (possibly even compete) though sound quality not great. Was wondering if anyone has a recording called something like, fark, i cant remember now, but it was basically billed as LZs last rehearsal - for us 1980 tour? The best thing on that was a near-pristine version of "Achilles..." and for some reason during "Kashmir" the audio gets really bad..white summer probably prefaces it, as well...Just wondering if anyone had info on supposed studio rehearsals for the planned US 1980 tour. Peace to you, fellow Zep lovers!

Edited by stonefreelee

Somewhere I ended up with a cassete or two that i recorded off of vinyl that wasnt mine. Somehow I have one of the Copenhagen 79 shows (possibly even compete) though sound quality not great. Was wondering if anyone has a recording called something like, fark, i cant remember now, but it was basically billed as LZs last rehearsal - for us 1980 tour? The best thing on that was a near-pristine version of "Achilles..." and for some reason during "Kashmir" the audio gets really bad..white summer probably prefaces it, as well...Just wondering if anyone had info on supposed studio rehearsals for the planned US 1980 tour. Peace to you, fellow Zep lovers!

I have a vinyl boot called Bonzo's Last Stand- The Last Rehearsal Sept 80.

track listing:

side 1- White Summer

Kashmir (Plant is barely audible)

side 2- Achilles

Stairway (which to me doesn't sound like a studio track it sounds live)

I have a vinyl boot called Bonzo's Last Stand- The Last Rehearsal Sept 80.

track listing:

side 1- White Summer

Kashmir (Plant is barely audible)

side 2- Achilles

Stairway (which to me doesn't sound like a studio track it sounds live)

Thank you, that's the one! As soon as I saw your post and read it (the title) it immediately came back to me: Bonzo's Last Stand...I wonder now when this was recorded...I think if i remember correctly (scary) it just listed "Sept 1980" as the recording date. 'Course we all know how reliable "import" info is...the reason i ask about date is that just today i read somewhere in "the forum" that LZ's last studio recordiings were in June of '80. Could that statement have been refering to actual, well, recordings of new material, ie, NOT just a rehearsal session?

here's my list of what i have acquired along my path: (vinyl)

-45rpm - 'hey hey what can........' 'imigrant song' on flip side

-Smoke and Fire - feat. jimmy page, jeff beck, john bonham, noel redding, nicky hopkins.

-James Patrick Page Session Man

-Led Zeppelin IV Studio Rehersals January 1971

-Led Zeppelin Danish Television March 1969

-File Under Led Zeppelin-(white vinyl newspaper clipping in centre about Bonham's passing

-Royal Albert Hall 1971

-Filmore West 1969

-Listen to this Eddie L.A. June 21, 77

-Early Jitters

-Robert Plant - Now and Zep - Robert Plant

Edited by feather in the wind

I think it's a crock of shit to charge more than what it cost to make the bootleg, but if they wernt making money they would've never made them.

So i bought

Dallas 1975-CD 50$

Belguim 1980-CD 45$

Ilisten to them before i bought them but i never really listen to them as much as i did for TSRTS.

Then came Bittorrent.

I never downloaded anything officail but i do have now.

The Destroyer

For Badgeholders Only

The Seattle Video

Listen to this Eddie

Lousiville 77

Led Zeppelin Live.

I will never buy another Bootlegg again, but if i do see a Vinyl Copy of LTTE. It's mine!

• 2 months later...
I think it's a crock of shit to charge more than what it cost to make the bootleg, but if they wernt making money they would've never made them.

So i bought

Dallas 1975-CD 50$

Belguim 1980-CD 45$

Ilisten to them before i bought them but i never really listen to them as much as i did for TSRTS.

Then came Bittorrent.

I never downloaded anything officail but i do have now.

The Destroyer

For Badgeholders Only

The Seattle Video

Listen to this Eddie

Lousiville 77

Led Zeppelin Live.

I will never buy another Bootlegg again, but if i do see a Vinyl Copy of LTTE. It's mine!

Right on PB Derigable! No one has to buy any bootlegs ever again; we can just trade with each other. No more tape generation sound degradation! Now if we could just get people to realize MP3s sound crappy!

Right on PB Derigable! No one has to buy any bootlegs ever again; we can just trade with each other.

I wish this had existed in the mid 80s when I spent hundreds of dollars on them. Still, it was fun going to the record collector shows with Godwin's book in hand to see if you could find ones you didn't have- and even better, going to the shows and seeing new ones that weren't even in the book!

Right on PB Derigable! No one has to buy any bootlegs ever again; we can just trade with each other. No more tape generation sound degradation! Now if we could just get people to realize MP3s sound crappy!

FLAC muthafucka.

For a while i changed my ipod Operating system to customize it. On of the cool things is you can download FLAC to the IPOD and it wil play. It does take a shit load of space and after a while, i just downgraded everthing to 320kps AAC.

I haven't look in a while, but my copies of Badgeholders and LTTE were 3rd generation tapes, so i have to look for better copies. Everthing else is silvers

I've got tons of Zep boot vinyl...haven't sold one. However, if it means paying for something more important (hope it never happens) like family, health, or a good cause - my "boots" are made for walking!

My best boots would be 1971 LA Forum or Cleveland Destroyer or 1977 Badgeholders.

Blueberry Hill is nice. Montreal 1975 with the Physical Graffiti songs is good albeit poor sound.

ITTOD studio out-takes...nice.

Soundtrack to Lucifer Rising with un-released studio out-takes music is cool too.

I have a bunch of vinyl boots also and I didn't know how rare they were until the other day when I was in my local classic record store (that occasionally has bootlegs). I have a hand full of 80 shows, the last American show at Oakland, the Persistence one that was spoken of earlier, the Japan '71 that was also spoken of earlier, the complete BBC recordings, Montreal '75 and Long Beach '75, a Plant show when Jimmy comes on for the encores, just to name the ones I can remember. Now, I just need to go and get another turn table?!

Peace.

"Art changes people, people change the world" - John Butler

• 5 years later...

A few years back I was looking through the USED Zep CDs at my local record shop (at the time all had was Zep II and a copy of Early-Later Days I borrowed from a friend) so I was picking through what I knew which wasn't much, but my favorite song was Thank You and I had recently discovered the song live at MSG 73'. I saw this weird looking live album titled 'Communication Breakdown' featuring: Communication Breakdown, I Can't Quit You Babe, Whole Lotta Love (Medley), What Is And What Should Never Be, Thank You, Going To California, Out On The Tiles, Moby Dick for $9 so I bought it and was blown away by all the songs! Until I purchased BCC Sessions and I Can't Quit You Babe is the same as the 2nd version on BCC, Thank You was the same as BCC, but the other songs are completely different so it's kind of like having an extended BCC Sessions which the songs were recorded within days of it! Overall I looked up the bootleg and found it online for $170!!!!! :D

A few years back I was looking through the USED Zep CDs at my local record shop (at the time all had was Zep II and a copy of Early-Later Days I borrowed from a friend) so I was picking through what I knew which wasn't much, but my favorite song was Thank You and I had recently discovered the song live at MSG 73'. I saw this weird looking live album titled 'Communication Breakdown' featuring: Communication Breakdown, I Can't Quit You Babe, Whole Lotta Love (Medley), What Is And What Should Never Be, Thank You, Going To California, Out On The Tiles, Moby Dick for $9 so I bought it and was blown away by all the songs! Until I purchased BCC Sessions and I Can't Quit You Babe is the same as the 2nd version on BCC, Thank You was the same as BCC, but the other songs are completely different so it's kind of like having an extended BCC Sessions which the songs were recorded within days of it! Overall I looked up the bootleg and found it online for $170!!!!! :D

Does it have any information which might pinpoint where it came from, or who put it out? Don't take internet prices as set in stone -- they can be a bit inflated.

After comparing with BCC I guess I was wrong about the two songs being the same, but they do sound identical but it says tracks Communication Breakdown, What Is And Should Never Be, Thank You, Going To California were recorded 3/25/1971 at Royal Albert Hall (which the concert for disc 2 of BCC was only one week later); I Can't Quit You Babe- February 1969 at RAH (no specific date); Whole Lotta Love- November 1969 at RAH (no specific date); and strangely Out On The Tiles and Moby Dick- 9/18/1970 L.A. Forum. And as far as who put it out, it's 'Live & Alive' 1993. And yeah I wouldn't expect $170 for it, but I probably wouldn't sell it at least until I come across more!

After comparing with BCC I guess I was wrong about the two songs being the same, but they do sound identical but it says tracks Communication Breakdown, What Is And Should Never Be, Thank You, Going To California were recorded 3/25/1971 at Royal Albert Hall (which the concert for disc 2 of BCC was only one week later); I Can't Quit You Babe- February 1969 at RAH (no specific date); Whole Lotta Love- November 1969 at RAH (no specific date); and strangely Out On The Tiles and Moby Dick- 9/18/1970 L.A. Forum. And as far as who put it out, it's 'Live & Alive' 1993. And yeah I wouldn't expect $170 for it, but I probably wouldn't sell it at least until I come across more!

The March 25, 1971 tracks were recorded at the Paris Theatre in London for the April 1, 1971 BBC broadcast. This is the show that makes up Disc 2 of the official BBC Sessions set.

The LA Forum is obviously mis-dated...the show was 9/4/70. As for the Royal Albert Hall (RAH), Led Zeppelin only played there twice...June 29, 1969 and January 9, 1970.

Yes you are likely correct. I should've looked into it better sooner, but I got BCC Sessions soon after and kind of lost interest with this cd besides What Is And What Should Never Be is fantastic on this boot! It's exactly like the studio with much more energy. I wish this boot has Thank You from L.A. Forum instead of the same copy that is easy to find.