New Complete Japan '71 live album (Tarantura)

lololabrute

I'm sure everyone here is aware of the recent headline :

December 25th, 2021

The end of the year and some truly exciting news from Japan! Announced just a day ago by Tarantura, it reveals that 2022 gonna be a very special year for all the Led Zeppelin collectors.

From deepest abbyss of the obscurity, we're extremely proud to announce the long awaited Complete Japan 1971 live album!
Assembled from the best sounding and most complete sources from each of five nights, including never before circulating material and upgraded versions known from previous releases, this new collection representing the ultimate perspective for this memorable part in rock music history.
After an aborted plan to play Japan in 1970, tied in with Expo 70, Led Zeppelin finally realised the first part of their true 'World tour' dreams with five outstanding, relaxed shows. Following the conclusion of their 7th US Tour on September 17th - the second of a brace of shows in Honolulu - they arrived as superstars on Sunday the 19th. This three-city, five-concert stop-off on the way back from America saw the present some of their most relaxed and inspired performances. Away from the glare of the press and the growing madness of America, this was the perfect opportunity to lay back and stretch out.
Both Tokyo and Osaka shows were professionally recorded by the local division of Warner Bros. company for potential live release. Rumoured to be destroyed by Page himself due to rather poor quality, it was confirmed by him in person during preparation of "How The West Was Won" and "DVD" in 2003 that these tapes were in potential use as a candidate for a standalone release.
This new set consists of all known audience recordings available for each of five nights. A special attention should be given to special bonus content, where - after many years of searching - it was possible to find the original master tape known as Rock Carnival, previously available in a heavily degenrated form and considered as being lost for years.
So, ladies and gentlemen, please sit back, relax and enjoy "How The East Was Won" - the long lost Led Zeppelin live album!

How excited should we really be? Is it going to be more of the same with an EQ variance? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see an upgraded set but really, can it be really worth spending, what, a 1000$ this time? Yes yes I'm a bit of a pessimist but it's really in the hope of being very pleasantly surprised.

Does anyone have any more info on this?

This thing will be horribly expensive and, I fear, just a quick tweak here and there of already available recordings. I hope I'm wrong on both counts though and if it is a serious upgrade in sound or completeness I'll be buying the cheaper versions when they start to trickle out. Thanks for sharing.

23 hours ago, Plant68 said:

I think I'll pass.....it will be way too expensive and will it really be an improvement ?

Do people still buy this stuff? I know of several sites that will upload it the day after it's released. My days of paying $100 for a bootleg are long gone. Drop me a PM if you need to know where to get these things. 

7 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Do people still buy this stuff? I know of several sites that will upload it the day after it's released. My days of paying $100 for a bootleg are long gone. Drop me a PM if you need to know where to get these things. 

The short answer is yes, otherwise they would have stopped making/selling them a long time ago. 

On 12/30/2021 at 8:08 AM, lololabrute said:

I'm sure everyone here is aware of the recent headline :

December 25th, 2021

The end of the year and some truly exciting news from Japan! Announced just a day ago by Tarantura, it reveals that 2022 gonna be a very special year for all the Led Zeppelin collectors.

From deepest abbyss of the obscurity, we're extremely proud to announce the long awaited Complete Japan 1971 live album!
Assembled from the best sounding and most complete sources from each of five nights, including never before circulating material and upgraded versions known from previous releases, this new collection representing the ultimate perspective for this memorable part in rock music history.
After an aborted plan to play Japan in 1970, tied in with Expo 70, Led Zeppelin finally realised the first part of their true 'World tour' dreams with five outstanding, relaxed shows. Following the conclusion of their 7th US Tour on September 17th - the second of a brace of shows in Honolulu - they arrived as superstars on Sunday the 19th. This three-city, five-concert stop-off on the way back from America saw the present some of their most relaxed and inspired performances. Away from the glare of the press and the growing madness of America, this was the perfect opportunity to lay back and stretch out.
Both Tokyo and Osaka shows were professionally recorded by the local division of Warner Bros. company for potential live release. Rumoured to be destroyed by Page himself due to rather poor quality, it was confirmed by him in person during preparation of "How The West Was Won" and "DVD" in 2003 that these tapes were in potential use as a candidate for a standalone release.
This new set consists of all known audience recordings available for each of five nights. A special attention should be given to special bonus content, where - after many years of searching - it was possible to find the original master tape known as Rock Carnival, previously available in a heavily degenrated form and considered as being lost for years.
So, ladies and gentlemen, please sit back, relax and enjoy "How The East Was Won" - the long lost Led Zeppelin live album!

How excited should we really be? Is it going to be more of the same with an EQ variance? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see an upgraded set but really, can it be really worth spending, what, a 1000$ this time? Yes yes I'm a bit of a pessimist but it's really in the hope of being very pleasantly surprised.

Does anyone have any more info on this?

The 'Rock Carnival' source from the master could be worth it just for that. 

11 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

The 'Rock Carnival' source from the master could be worth it just for that. 

Indeed, without the major issues in sound quality from WIAWSNB on & just reluctant mastering (to minimize brickwalling and aiming for warm/natural sound) of the master tape, this could be priceless.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:08 PM, lololabrute said:

I love the 71 Japan tour and I like quality AUD sources, so the decision has already been made. I am quite confident that this upcoming release will meet high expectations, since I have been pleased with the quality of  Tarantura´s recent releases of Detroit 73 & Winterland 69. If anything, I am a little bit worried about the so far weakest sounding shows, 924 and 928. Especially the horrible bass distortion of previous known 924 sources would require an uncirculated and better sounding source tape.  About the price: It won´t be a bargain, but at least Tarantura boxes aren´t as expensive as Empress Valley products.

Did a few last year and I am satisfied. Hopes for an upgrade as always, believe it will be something new also. There are some of us who hates bootleggers, there are some of us who are collectors. I am from the second club, collecting physical media with stunning packaging and T is one of them. No obligated to push anyone, willing to share with the others.

• 7 months later...

Since I kinda derailed the 4th May 71 Odense thread by making a innocent side note on Tarantura´s upcoming Live In Japan 71 box, I´d like to bring the discussion about Japan 71 back where it belongs.

Why now? I guess the long period of waiting might be over soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I look at it like this, whilst there's collectors willing to fork out a $1,000 for a set then it's probably still worth groups like Tarantura's time to release these sets even knowing that they'll be all over the net in just a few days. So a big thank you to those with big wallets. Much appreciated.

Edited by Jukkin

4 hours ago, Jukkin said:

I look at it like this, whilst there's collectors willing to fork out a $1,000 for a set then it's probably still worth groups like Tarantura's time to release these sets even knowing that they'll be all over the net in just a few days. So a big thank you to those with big wallets. Much appreciated.

Here's the other 180 degree view . . . It was about 470$ , not quite a 1,000, but your welcome . . . anything else you might be needing? 

9 hours ago, Jukkin said:

For the Japanese market Tarantura is probably releasing some "Special Promo Edition Box - sets", limited to a mere 10 or 20 sets each (Commodore and Guitarist set). And yes these set are very expensive: $ 1.100,- 

The standard box -sets are limited to 100 sets each and are a bit less expensive: just like Tainted Cheese said $ 470,- which is (give and take) $ 27,- / cd!

I bet you paid more for some cd's in your collection. I know I have and for this exquisite set I'm happily paying a bit more.

2 hours ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

For the Japanese market Tarantura is probably releasing some "Special Promo Edition Box - sets", limited to a mere 10 or 20 sets each (Commodore and Guitarist set). And yes these set are very expensive: $ 1.100,- 

The standard box -sets are limited to 100 sets each and are a bit less expensive: just like Tainted Cheese said $ 470,- which is (give and take) $ 27,- / cd!

I bet you paid more for some cd's in your collection. I know I have and for this exquisite set I'm happily paying a bit more.

Oh yes, I have paid some hefty price points over the years, but have learned the hard way what's worth the big bucks and what's not. Most of those I have luckily sold to break even. I am definitely involved in a mild obsession that I have sort of tamed. But this Japan box is one I can't quite pass up for many reasons. Thanks for breaking it down to cd price, sounds cheap when you explain it like that!?!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

“Guitarist Page box” 53 / 100 just arrived and it looks stunning.
 Hopefully “Commodore Page” doesn’t take to o long…

Congrats, mine shipped just 2 days ago from the land of the rising sun and it's already in the states and in the nearby town, just missed today's delivery and will get it Monday now. I'd love to know how the last half of Rock Carnival sounds, especially WLLove medley! No worries either way but hoping for a nice sound improvement on that one.

While "Susquehanna" is playing on the stereo I'm enjoying the box and all cd's lying in front of me on the table. Such a beautiful, rigid box I haven't seen for a while.

I have the original EVSD "Deep Throat", "Supreme Destroyers" and "For Badge Holders Only" boxes, but the cd's for the different days are housed in a paper sleeve, part of a more or less rigid book or (for FBO) or ordinary gatefold sleeves. These boxes compared to the "Kurofune" don't feel as firm.

660550058_KurofuneB.jpg.a8e0c519fc9d648b541cf72148d64758.jpg

6 hours ago, john morrison said:

how do the boots sound ?

I just received mine today and will let you know after a few days, I know where I am looking first and that is the 23rd, to see if the last half of the show has big improvements compared to the original Flying Carnival that came out I 2009 I think. Stay tuned.

• 3 weeks later...