1996.02.17 Page & Plant Remastered Soundboard

SteveZ98

2 hours ago, custard pie man said:

that tour was a bit different with the orchestra and all but when they came back around I saw them in Hartford, stripped down to just the 4 piece band and for me anyways the shows just got better, never really thought Page embraced all that stuff, I could be wrong

I was also at the Hartford Page/Plant show. It took place on 10/21/1995 and they had the Egyptian orchestra and members of the Hartford Symphony Orchestra performing with them. You can see some of those extra players in the wide shots in the video of Black Dog below, which is from the show. Regardless, it was a great show and Jimmy was definitely in fine form.

1 hour ago, SteveZ98 said:

I was also at the Hartford Page/Plant show. It took place on 10/21/1995 and they had the Egyptian orchestra and members of the Hartford Symphony Orchestra performing with them. You can see some of those extra players in the wide shots in the video of Black Dog below, which is from the show. Regardless, it was a great show and Jimmy was definitely in fine form.

Well, THAT f-ing rocked. Wow. I saw them 2 weeks earlier in Mountain View, and it was also a great show. This made me wanna re-watch, and luckily some kind soul put up the first few songs (video) on YT.

1 hour ago, SteveZ98 said:

ok now my brain is searching for answers, I would of sworn that when I saw them it was just a 4 piece, wonder if they hit Hartford early then  came around a second time?

2 hours ago, custard pie man said:

ok now my brain is searching for answers, I would of sworn that when I saw them it was just a 4 piece, wonder if they hit Hartford early then  came around a second time?

They only played Hartford the one time. They dropped the orchestras for the '98 tour but didn't play Hartford. The closest they got was NYC and Albany in NY and Boston and Mansfield Mass.

Edited by SteveZ98

9 hours ago, custard pie man said:

that tour was a bit different with the orchestra and all but when they came back around I saw them in Hartford, stripped down to just the 4 piece band and for me anyways the shows just got better, never really thought Page embraced all that stuff, I could be wrong

Though I thoroughly enjoyed the 95' tour, I too preferred the stripped down, 98' shows by a country mile. Two main reasons: Plant's voice was much stronger than in 95' and he sounded much better overall. Second, Page played as a man possessed. I have said this before but IMO Page hit a peak he had not seen since Euro 73' in 98'. He may not have been quite as fast (pretty close though), but his phrasing and articulation were out of this world as were his improvisations. The band jelled very well and the energy was simply palpable. 

2 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

They only played Hartford the one time. They dropped the orchestras for the '98 tour but didn't play Hartford. The closest they got was NYC and Albany in NY and Boston and Mansfield Mass.

ok, perhaps the orchestra was much smaller, 98 my wife and I traveled to  n.y. for their show in garden, I do remember it was a week nite, my mom watched the 3 kids and we got home around 3am

5 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Though I thoroughly enjoyed the 95' tour, I too preferred the stripped down, 98' shows by a country mile. Two main reasons: Plant's voice was much stronger than in 95' and he sounded much better overall. Second, Page played as a man possessed. I have said this before but IMO Page hit a peak he had not seen since Euro 73' in 98'. He may not have been quite as fast (pretty close though), but his phrasing and articulation were out of this world as were his improvisations. The band jelled very well and the energy was simply palpable. 

I would agree, hope you saw him also with the crowes, saw him at worcester centrum, last show of the first tour where  Joe Perry and Whitford joined in for few songs and again when they came back around with the who, Page I thought was playing as well as I ever saw him, to bad he called it a day

36 minutes ago, custard pie man said:

I would agree, hope you saw him also with the crowes, saw him at worcester centrum, last show of the first tour where  Joe Perry and Whitford joined in for few songs and again when they came back around with the who, Page I thought was playing as well as I ever saw him, to bad he called it a day

I was at that show, too :) Jimmy definitely played really well. If you're interested, I remastered the soundboard from that show and merged it with an audience video of the show. Send me a message if you want a copy.

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

In terms of consistency and mental creativity vs dexterity/fluidity I think you may be on to something. I don't know how consistent he was in 88, but when I saw him (10/11/88) he was incredible. I got the boot of the show not long after he played, and it was/is fantastic. Just wanted to mention that as I think it's in the same conversation of what you're suggesting here regarding 98 and the passage of time.

I haven't listened to every show from 88, 95/96, 98, etc so I appreciate it when others have taken the time to listen and re-listen to all of it and point out the good shows, most consistent years, etc.

A few weeks back, I listened to a NQ from 75 back to back with NQ from New Orleans 98, just for funesies. Page sounded really, really good. He didn't have the same level of fluidity, but he made up for it with just being an amazing player. My own thing I say all the time is his playing comes from somewhere else. It really does sound magic.

4 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

And Steve nails it yet again! Sound amazing, what a great listening experience. 

Tangerine is a joy to hear. Custard Pie too. Dancing Days as well. 

The whole show is a great one. 

Big fan of what you do Steve, but you already knew that.............

Thanks. Hopefully the remaster enhanced what was always a really good performance.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:12 PM, SteveZ98 said:

I was at that show, too :) Jimmy definitely played really well. If you're interested, I remastered the soundboard from that show and merged it with an audience video of the show. Send me a message if you want a copy.

There's video of the centrum?? I would like a link please!!! I was at that show and all the other shows they played in Boston Worcester and Mansfield. I never missed a chance to see Page play.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:12 PM, SteveZ98 said:

Requesting the Hartford show (?) as well. Appreciate the work and the joy that you bring with it.

6 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

There's video of the centrum?? I would like a link please!!! I was at that show and all the other shows they played in Boston Worcester and Mansfield. I never missed a chance to see Page play.

There is an audience shot video from the centrum. Who ever shot it did a good job with it. I remastered the audio soundtrack, which came out pretty well. I still need to upload the video with the new audio, so I don't have a link just yet. I'll make a new post about it so everyone who is interested has a chance to download it.

49 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

There is an audience shot video from the centrum. Who ever shot it did a good job with it. I remastered the audio soundtrack, which came out pretty well. I still need to upload the video with the new audio, so I don't have a link just yet. I'll make a new post about it so everyone who is interested has a chance to download it.

Cool!!

• 8 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 9:41 AM, SteveZ98 said:

My first Page and Plant show was May 20th 1995 in San Jose. Awesome show, I have a radio bootleg of that performance that was given out to stations. I got 2 of them, I opened and played 1, kept the other in its sleeve thinking it would be valuable some day. The funny thing about that show, had amazing seats right behind page and the stage. Robert called San Jose “ San Juan “ and was booed for it. It a funny joking way as if you don’t know where you are at. Robert and Jimmy being my 2 favorite musicians alive I gave Robert a pass. My Pops, who had been at the April 69 shows at the Filmore with my Mom was with me. It was my name day a couple days before. What an amazing show. I remember being tripped out that they were doing Shake My Tree. Robert crushed the performance of that song and show. I remember waiting on line at Tower Record store in Mountain View all night to get tickets. That experience alone is amazing and something that we will never see again. And I personally think that it’s sucks that we won’t. It was part of the experience. I digress, an amazing show, and by 98, they were on fire, specifically Jimmy. He was out of this world, I purchased as many bootlegs from that time period as possible, in the range of 20-30, and Jimmy from 96 on was just at another level. Maybe some of the dexterity was gone, or speed? Perhaps, but his chops, progressions, fluidity, imagination, experience was on full display. I have some shows from 96-98, and his playing has brought me to tears on a couple of the occasions. I also have been very angry at Robert for calling it a day during that period. They were getting better. Kind of a prick to do that. 

Amazing performance, and my how the time flies by. Reminds me that I’m getting old. 

Edited by Plant77

• 1 year later...