Babe i'm gonna leave you '77

bainesy1us

Not sure if it was JP's instagram i just read this on but i just read that BIGLY was rehearsed for the 77 tour with (presumably) JP playing a slide guitar. They were trying out a few other songs on it too but in the end the slide guitar was too unreliable. Just wondered if anyone had heard this before and possibly which other songs were rehearsed?

3 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Not just a slide guitar, a Pedal Steel guitar.  It is an extremely complex instrument to play.  

it may have sounded really cool I’d love to hear them trying it 

Yes indeed, and JPJ can play the pedal steel very well. I keep trying to figure out the arrangement they would have used with Page on Pedal Steel and I just cannot see it working. Would JPJ be playing the main arpeggio on acoustic guitar and Page adding accompaniments, with no bass involved or would Page play the whole thing on Pedal Steel with Jones on bass? Seems to me they would need a second guitarist to make it work with the Pedal Steel. Interesting idea though. I wonder if Jones played the Pedal Steel in the 70's or if he picked it up later. I know when I seen him live in 99' & 01' he played the living shit out of the Pedal Steel, the man is a master.

5 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Yes indeed, and JPJ can play the pedal steel very well. I keep trying to figure out the arrangement they would have used with Page on Pedal Steel and I just cannot see it working. Would JPJ be playing the main arpeggio on acoustic guitar and Page adding accompaniments, with no bass involved or would Page play the whole thing on Pedal Steel with Jones on bass? Seems to me they would need a second guitarist to make it work with the Pedal Steel. Interesting idea though. I wonder if Jones played the Pedal Steel in the 70's or if he picked it up later. I know when I seen him live in 99' & 01' he played the living shit out of the Pedal Steel, the man is a master.

Interesting point. Id imagine JP on pedal and JPJ playing the acoustic arppegio but we'll never know i guess.

6 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Technically, what Jonesy was playing was a “Lap Steel” I don’t think he played Pedal Steel.  If there are pedals and levers underneath it, it’s a Pedal Steel.   If I’m wrong I apologize.

4 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Technically, what Jonesy was playing was a “Lap Steel” I don’t think he played Pedal Steel.  If there are pedals and levers underneath it, it’s a Pedal Steel.   If I’m wrong I apologize.

I believe you are correct Congo, my mistake.

13 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

I wonder if Jones played the Pedal Steel in the 70's or if he picked it up later. .

JPJ can be heard playing the lap steel on Led Zeppelin III.  The main riff on Celebration Day is lap steel and is all Jonesy.

8 hours ago, woz70 said:

JPJ can be heard playing the lap steel on Led Zeppelin III.  The main riff on Celebration Day is lap steel and is all Jonesy.

Thanks Woz, I was waiting for the forums resident musical expert and authority to weigh in and I mean that sincerely.

Yes, Jimmy Page was playing a pedal steel guitar in those 1977 rehearsals. The photographs confirm this. Ever since I saw that photo of Jimmy playing the pedal steel guitar in Creem magazine after the 1977 tour was over, I have been fascinated by the prospect of what we missed. Because of what Jimmy is wearing it was obvious the photo was from the 1977 tour rehearsals and since Jimmy never played that pedal steel at any of the 1977 shows I saw,  it has been a constant source of speculation. "That's the Way" was one song possibility, with Jones playing the acoustic and bass foot pedals, while Jimmy did the pedal steel guitar interludes between the verses. "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" is a strange one, as they did it perfectly fine in 1968-69 with their basic rock quartet formation of Jones on bass and Jimmy on electric guitar. 

Whatever song it was, I wish we could hear some 1977 rehearsal tapes.

Edited by Strider

• 1 year later...