Mess of a blues - Elvis cover

jsj

I used to have a bootleg that included a cover of this Elvis tune and it was always a favourite for me. It’s been many years since I’ve heard it and I’ve forgotten what gig it was, now I want to play it again. Was it Blueberry Hill maybe? I know someone here will know straight away. Also was it played at many gigs? The same question for the other Elvis cover - my baby left me . Thanks 

56 minutes ago, jsj said:

I used to have a bootleg that included a cover of this Elvis tune and it was always a favourite for me. It’s been many years since I’ve heard it and I’ve forgotten what gig it was, now I want to play it again. Was it Blueberry Hill maybe? I know someone here will know straight away. Also was it played at many gigs? The same question for the other Elvis cover - my baby left me . Thanks 

Berkeley: September 14th 1971  

32 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Berkeley: September 14th 1971  

Would the bootleg of this have a name, rather than just a date? Thanks though, I’ll get onto YouTube for it

Edited by jsj

3 hours ago, jsj said:

BBC Sessions Paris Theatre 1971 Disc 2 Whole Lotta Love medley has a good version

"A Mess of Blues" is the song title, written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, and it was part of many "Whole Lotta Love" medleys in 1971. The best representations available, sound-quality-wise, are on the April 1 1971 Paris Theatre BBC Sessions and the "Going to California" bootleg of the September 14, 1971 Berkeley California gig. Other good "Mess of Blues" covers can be found on boots of May 3, 1971 Copenhagen, August 21 & 22, 1971 L.A. Forum, August 31, 1971 Orlando, September 4, 1971 Toronto, September 13, 1971 Berkeley, and September 23, 1971 Tokyo.

As for Arthur Crudup's "My Baby Left Me", Led Zeppelin did not cover it as much as "A Mess of Blues" but it made a few medleys in 1970 and five times in 1971 and once in 1972. The most complete versions are found on August 22, 1971 La Forum, August 31, 1971 Orlando, September 4, 1971 Toronto, September 14, 1971 Berkeley, and October 2, 1972 Tokyo.

Going to California was the bootleg I was thinking of. One i haven’t played for maybe 25 years. Now I’ve listened to the medley I’ll play the rest of the gig

I have the Elvis version on my jukebox and give it a spin most weekends

thanks all