Badgeholders

HollywoodBowl1998

Can anyone tell me if there's any significance to this? Badgeholders that is. I've been listening to several different Zep concerts over the past few years now and there are many references by Plant on Badgeholders. Is it simply that he's referencing who may have a backstage pass? Is it some reference to the cops? I was born in the late '70's so never really knew of 70s lexicon, sayings, etc. But I know narcing or being a narc was frowned upon back then, more so than now. I don't think todays youth talk like this.

In Destroyer Plant mentions a Larry Badgely, like was that even a real person? He's used other similar references between songs on other concerts. He often asks "do we have any badgeholders?".  I mean if it was as simple as a backstage pass thing, you'd think the band members would know if they gave out backstage passes...unless he's just trying to encourage cheering as most rockers do; as is in this Simpson's example. "Nobody rocks as much as... [looks at note on his guitar] ...Springfield." ...Springfield crowd cheers hysterically.

There just seems to be an abundance of these mentions during a lot of the concerts I wonder if there's a meaning or if it is a Zep specific thing I don't know about. Can anyone here comment?

Cheers,

Brad

1 minute ago, HollywoodBowl1998 said:

Can anyone tell me if there's any significance to this? Badgeholders that is. I've been listening to several different Zep concerts over the past few years now and there are many references by Plant on Badgeholders. Is it simply that he's referencing who may have a backstage pass? Is it some reference to the cops? I was born in the late '70's so never really knew of 70s lexicon, sayings, etc. But I know narcing or being a narc was frowned upon back then, more so than now. I don't think todays youth talk like this.

In Destroyer Plant mentions a Larry Badgely, like was that even a real person? He's used other similar references between songs on other concerts. He often asks "do we have any badgeholders?".  I mean if it was as simple as a backstage pass thing, you'd think the band members would know if they gave out backstage passes...unless he's just trying to encourage cheering as most rockers do; as is in this Simpson's example. "Nobody rocks as much as... [looks at note on his guitar] ...Springfield." ...Springfield crowd cheers hysterically.

There just seems to be an abundance of these mentions during a lot of the concerts I wonder if there's a meaning or if it is a Zep specific thing I don't know about. Can anyone here comment?

Cheers,

Brad

Hi Brad,

The saying is English slang for a good person you can count on in a pinch. Larry Badgely was the tour "doctor" in 1977 who carried and distributed various "pharmaceuticals" to the band and Jimmy in particular. I believe they got rid of him mid-tour due to his own use of medication and his penchant for groupies, especially the ones on the younger side.

2 hours ago, HollywoodBowl1998 said:

Plant mentions a Larry Badgely, like was that even a real person?

Yes, he was a real doctor who toured with the band. There's more info about him in this thread:

Also, you can find all of Robert's between song talks about badgeholders by going to this page and typing "Badgeholder" in the Plantation Search box at the top of the page:

http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/speechpage.aspx 

Edited by SteveZ98

3 hours ago, HollywoodBowl1998 said:

Cheers,

Brad

Larry Badgely and Badgeholders are two separate things. One is a real doctor who kept the band, umm, "fortified" on their 1977 tour. As posted above, you can find more info about him on the Larry Badgely thread.

'Badgeholders' was just Plant's cheeky way of noting the girls who had special backstage passes. If memory serves, the 1977 Los Angeles shows are the only times he references 'badge holders'.

Edited by Strider

9 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Also, you can find all of Robert's between song talks about badgeholders by going to this page and typing "Badgeholder" in the Plantation Search box at the top of the page:

http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/speechpage.aspx 

Thanks for this, I had no idea there was a page dedicated to Plantation quotes. Just when I thought Zep fans were dedicated, I get shown a website like this and it gets taken to another level.

Ok, thanks all. In my full song list concert project, I sorta listened to everything (likes hundreds of versions of songs) randomly. So I didn't really take note that the Badgeholders were only from the Inglewood concerts. It just kept coming up (no surprise, in hindsight these concerts have such good boots). And then the coincidental reference of their Dr Larry made me think there might be something more to this. Dang, nothing too overly obscure in Zep lore.

Thanks gents!

14 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Hi Brad,

The saying is English slang for a good person you can count on in a pinch. 

No it isn't. Never heard of it in relation to slang English.

Strider explains it correctly. At L.A. in 1977 Plant says " Bonzo's got his own Badgeholder. Long blonde hair"

7 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

No it isn't. Never heard of it in relation to slang English.

Strider explains it correctly. At L.A. in 1977 Plant says " Bonzo's got his own Badgeholder. Long blonde hair"

Strange as I thought I heard several plantations where Plant calls Bonzo a Badgeholder, and members of the road crew Badgeholders. I believe I might be experiencing the Madela Affect or my hearing is going 😞 

Edited by BobDobbs