2022 MLB Thread

Walter

On Albert Pujol's first game back (today) as a Saint Louis Cardinal, the Cardinals beat the Washington Nationals 29-8.  The Cardinals scored 15 runs in the top of the 8th inning.  Pretty amazing for any MLB team to score so many runs in one game.

(I know that it is only a spring training game but nonetheless a pretty remarkable feat).

This might be my last post in this thread, but adding the DH to the National League just pisses me off to no end. Maybe the numbnuts in charge of baseball today don't care about the nuances of the game anymore, but I always preferred the NL style of play and the strategy managers would have to use within the game when the pitcher had to go to the plate, things like when to put a bunt on, when to pull your pitcher, double switches, and various other little things that may not mean much to whatever target audience MLB is shooting for these days, but the quality of play has been deteriorating for quite some time & this latest maneuver is just one more reason not to watch baseball...

Rant over....

48 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

This might be my last post in this thread, but adding the DH to the National League just pisses me off to no end. Maybe the numbnuts in charge of baseball today don't care about the nuances of the game anymore, but I always preferred the NL style of play and the strategy managers would have to use within the game when the pitcher had to go to the plate, things like when to put a bunt on, when to pull your pitcher, double switches, and various other little things that may not mean much to whatever target audience MLB is shooting for these days, but the quality of play has been deteriorating for quite some time & this latest maneuver is just one more reason not to watch baseball...

Rant over....

I agree. My favorite team is obviously in the AL, but I've always appreciated the NL rules more. True baseball, the way it was meant to be - IMO. 

12 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Rant over....

Ditto.

On 3/31/2022 at 2:30 PM, paul carruthers said:

Rant over....

I did not hear about this.  Its a done deal?  Is it just a trial or they have gone to AL rules for good?  Agree they should have left it alone. But baseball is about all there is in the summer.  I do not see you watching tennis.  Swimsuits yes.  At least your team is predicted to go far.  If you were a fan of my team you would have plenty of reason to stop watching or bitch. But I get it.  Its a big deal. So much for the all star game determining the home field.  This makes the Dodgers a wrecking machine

Well, just when you thought my Mets might be a wrecking machine this year, Scherzer has an injured hamstring & will likely miss his first start and who knows how many after that. Plus, there's still no guarantee that the Mets have solved their offensive woes from last year....  

Btw Rick, to answer your question, the DH in the National League is a done deal, just like the new expanded playoffs...

Edited by paul carruthers

Adam Wainwright, Yadier Molina, Albert Pujols and the rest of the 2022 Saint Louis Cardinals.

My prediction (as usual):

The Saint Louis Cardinals will be the 2022 Major League Baseball World Series Champions.

Good Luck to Everyone and their favorite Baseball Team(s).  

1 hour ago, kingzoso said:

Adam Wainwright, Yadier Molina, Albert Pujols and the rest of the 2022 Saint Louis Cardinals.

My prediction (as usual):

The Saint Louis Cardinals will be the 2022 Major League Baseball World Series Champions.

Good Luck to Everyone and their favorite Baseball Team(s).  

Your on crack.  So what happened to Matt Wieters?  I bet your Cards today.  

On 4/3/2022 at 10:00 AM, paul carruthers said:

Well, just when you thought my Mets might be a wrecking machine this year, Scherzer has an injured hamstring & will likely miss his first start and who knows how many after that. Plus, there's still no guarantee that the Mets have solved their offensive woes from last year....  

Btw Rick, to answer your question, the DH in the National League is a done deal, just like the new expanded playoffs...

Paul, what happened to your big guns like Synderguard and the other ace, Degrom?  Sherzee is listed to start but I thought he played for Nationals?

15 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

deGrom is injured again & given all the setbacks he's had the last year, I'm wondering how long it will be before he just gives in and has Tommy John surgery.

And Syndergaard is with the Anaheim Angels...

OMG.  How did the Angels pull that off?  I hope the Mets got something for him or was he UFA?  The Angels are the sleeper in that division and can win it. I do not believe in the Mets without those two guys.  Sorry.  But it could be worse.  You could be an Orioles fan like me.  Ha.  Speaking of which, John Means takes the mound in Tampa.  I may be able to catch a game there in July if things go off as planned.  Last big league game I was at was in SF, O's and Giants.  They still send me stuff from the Giants. Who I cant stand. I just wanted to see that stadium. 

Can you believe Toronto came back on Texas in that game?  Texas must have major problems in their bullpen.  Blew a huge lead.  Looked like lights out. It sucks because i DO NOT LIKE THE BLUE JAYS.  Yankees had to win a hit fest vs Boston with their so called ace Cole.  Not a good sign for them.  I hope Syndergard can beat the Astros today.  I see Verlander is pitching for them.  He cant be even close to the pitcher he once was.  Hoping my O's find their bats again today.  They were hitting the ball in spring training. Santander hit one out.  That was the best we could do as runners were stranded in some key situations.  Come on birds.  I signed up for the free trial of MLB.  I hope they do not have me on the hook?  I signed up for monthly.  Just to see the Orioles opener and home opener and some other games when I am able.  A glutten for punishment am I.

Not that I want to spend all my time in this thread complaining, but the state of quality pitching is apparently still in the toilet all over the Major Leagues. Nevermind starters barely getting into the 6th inning, someone was telling me that one of the weekend games had the Rays pulling one of their starters after 4 & turning it into one of those insipid bullpen games that made last year's postseason so dreadful to watch.

I'm just trying to imagine Bob Gibson or Randy Johnson trying to compete in this day & age. They probably wouldn't make it into the Hall of Fame, now...  :(

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Not that I want to spend all my time in this thread complaining, but the state of quality pitching is apparently still in the toilet all over the Major Leagues. Nevermind starters barely getting into the 6th inning, someone was telling me that one of the weekend games had the Rays pulling one of their starters after 4 & turning it into one of those insipid bullpen games that made last year's postseason so dreadful to watch.

I'm just trying to imagine Bob Gibson or Randy Johnson trying to compete in this day & age. They probably wouldn't make it into the Hall of Fame, now...  :(

With all of the pitching changes, it gives more time for fans to buy $20 beers.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:30 AM, paul carruthers said:

MLB lost me when the remainder of the 1994 season was cancelled and I've never come back. I haven't missed much...a bunch of PED abusers hitting an unprecedented number of home runs, an Astros team that cheated it's way to a Championship and a Dodgers team that won it all at the end of a fake season. There was a time I could tell you the starting lineup for every team in the league. Now, I don't even know how many teams there. I'd be hard pressed to name three players...Max Scherzer and...um...nope.

14 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

MLB lost me when the remainder of the 1994 season was cancelled and I've never come back. I haven't missed much...a bunch of PED abusers hitting an unprecedented number of home runs, an Astros team that cheated it's way to a Championship and a Dodgers team that won it all at the end of a fake season. There was a time I could tell you the starting lineup for every team in the league. Now, I don't even know how many teams there. I'd be hard pressed to name three players...Max Scherzer and...um...nope.

Liar. Come on, Steve. Aren't you exaggerating a bit? I bet you could name more. Clayton Kershaw? Mike Trout? Bryce Harper? Shohei Ohtani? The names mean nothing to you? You are from Japan, ferchrissakes. Ohtani can't make a move without it being reported by the Japanese media.

Edited by Strider

wait, DH in the national league? life long mets fan, how many more wins would Seaver have had if he had the same deal that Catfish and Palmer had, never being removed of a scoreless game going into the 9th?

never mind, I forgot when Seaver pitched he would never be  dh'd, he was a better hitter than most lol

lets go mets

On 4/15/2022 at 5:50 AM, custard pie man said:

wait, DH in the national league? life long mets fan, how many more wins would Seaver have had if he had the same deal that Catfish and Palmer had, never being removed of a scoreless game going into the 9th?

never mind, I forgot when Seaver pitched he would never be  dh'd, he was a better hitter than most lol

lets go mets

Well considering that Seaver had more complete games than either Palmer or Catfish, and had more wins than either, and faced weaker lineups not having to face the DH I would say that he had more wins exactly because of that. Tom Terrific was a beast. However the DH came into the American League in 73 and Palmer and Catfish both started their careers in 65. But I would argue that National League pitchers won more games precisely because of them being able to face weak 8-9 hole hitters. Actually if you look at the last of the 300 win pitchers the majority of that has been out of the National League. Maddox, Glavine, Randy Johnson, and then Roger Clemons, the first two were only National League, and Johnson spent several years with the Diamondbacks. And Roger spent a few with the Astros before they moved to the American League.
I liked the two Leagues to have their differences, but I also like seeing guys who can’t play a position all that well be able to hit. Baseball needs to do a better job at promoting the game, and attracting the youth. They have the best Union of all the major sports, and it is Americas past time. The strike in 94 did major damage, and the lockout they just got out of did not help either. Having said all of that I’m happy they are playing. The summer would not be the same with out it. 

On 4/16/2022 at 5:27 PM, Plant77 said:

Well considering that Seaver had more complete games than either Palmer or Catfish, and had more wins than either, and faced weaker lineups not having to face the DH I would say that he had more wins exactly because of that. Tom Terrific was a beast. However the DH came into the American League in 73 and Palmer and Catfish both started their careers in 65. But I would argue that National League pitchers won more games precisely because of them being able to face weak 8-9 hole hitters. Actually if you look at the last of the 300 win pitchers the majority of that has been out of the National League. Maddox, Glavine, Randy Johnson, and then Roger Clemons, the first two were only National League, and Johnson spent several years with the Diamondbacks. And Roger spent a few with the Astros before they moved to the American League.
I liked the two Leagues to have their differences, but I also like seeing guys who can’t play a position all that well be able to hit. Baseball needs to do a better job at promoting the game, and attracting the youth. They have the best Union of all the major sports, and it is Americas past time. The strike in 94 did major damage, and the lockout they just got out of did not help either. Having said all of that I’m happy they are playing. The summer would not be the same with out it. 

so went this past weekend to Boston to visit my daughter and her future husband, went saturday to  bosox twins game which sox won 4-0, what I was startled was how many people just walk back and forth, up and down the aisles instead of watching the game, some people 20 or so times which meant we had a tough time seeing the game, don't know if its like that everywhere else but I had the feeling some wern't fans at all but rather wanted to be seen, anyone else have a similar experience? will admit don't get to  many games, mets last year, and yanks couple  years back, perhaps it was our proximity  to the aisle but it was bad, as for the dh it is a double edge sword, your point Seaver having more complete games because he  got to face a pitcher is a valid one, however the same could be said that  Catfish, Palmer, Vida Blue  never had to be pulled late in game because they were coming to bat, these conversations is why I always loved the game, be good