2022 MLB Thread

Walter

7 hours ago, custard pie man said:

so went this past weekend to Boston to visit my daughter and her future husband, went saturday to  bosox twins game which sox won 4-0, what I was startled was how many people just walk back and forth, up and down the aisles instead of watching the game, some people 20 or so times which meant we had a tough time seeing the game, don't know if its like that everywhere else but I had the feeling some wern't fans at all but rather wanted to be seen, anyone else have a similar experience? will admit don't get to  many games, mets last year, and yanks couple  years back, perhaps it was our proximity  to the aisle but it was bad, as for the dh it is a double edge sword, your point Seaver having more complete games because he  got to face a pitcher is a valid one, however the same could be said that  Catfish, Palmer, Vida Blue  never had to be pulled late in game because they were coming to bat, these conversations is why I always loved the game, be good

What’s going on buddy. The same for me. I love the game because of these discussions. There is no other sport like it. But that is my point. The National League prior to the DH faced weaker line ups. That’s just a fact. The DH was introduced in 73 and that wasn’t the standard in the World Series. So being that Seaver and others faced slightly easier lineups they were able to pitch deeper into games. However the pitchers of the 1970’s and early to mid 80’s were still pitching far deeper into games. Typically American League pitchers had slightly higher ERA’s and slightly fewer complete games. But I have to wonder why pitchers are not able to go deep into games? And I think it is because of kids throwing breaking balls way younger than we started throwing them growing up. And they don’t throw enough, and on top of that they use max effort from the jump. Pitchers of yesterday worked into their action. They didn’t start balls to the walls. There are many other contributions. But those are some. My A’s were the most successful team of the decade and like 10 people know it. But they won 3 World Series in a row, pennants from 71/75, and 90 plus games from 70-76. Had they not had Charlie Finnely and had an owner that wanted to continue the success and pay his players they could have won at least a few more WS. The funny thing is that they are forgotten. Not by A’s fans though. 

Cheers brother. 

10 hours ago, Plant77 said:

What’s going on buddy. The same for me. I love the game because of these discussions. There is no other sport like it. But that is my point. The National League prior to the DH faced weaker line ups. That’s just a fact. The DH was introduced in 73 and that wasn’t the standard in the World Series. So being that Seaver and others faced slightly easier lineups they were able to pitch deeper into games. However the pitchers of the 1970’s and early to mid 80’s were still pitching far deeper into games. Typically American League pitchers had slightly higher ERA’s and slightly fewer complete games. But I have to wonder why pitchers are not able to go deep into games? And I think it is because of kids throwing breaking balls way younger than we started throwing them growing up. And they don’t throw enough, and on top of that they use max effort from the jump. Pitchers of yesterday worked into their action. They didn’t start balls to the walls. There are many other contributions. But those are some. My A’s were the most successful team of the decade and like 10 people know it. But they won 3 World Series in a row, pennants from 71/75, and 90 plus games from 70-76. Had they not had Charlie Finnely and had an owner that wanted to continue the success and pay his players they could have won at least a few more WS. The funny thing is that they are forgotten. Not by A’s fans though. 

Cheers brother. 

i remember them well, catfish, vida blue, maybe blue moon odom? sal mustache Bando, reggie, joe rudi, Campenaras? still think Seaver over ruled yogi and opted to pitch game 6 on 3 days rest was the series, should of told Seaver to wait a day and pitch 7 if needed, power pitcher with legs needed that extra day, think you told me when i first joined few months ago you were honored before game, have you ever explained? pretty big deal

On 4/23/2022 at 5:20 PM, Bong-Man said:

Congrats to Miggy for joining Ty Cobb & Al Kaline as the only Detroit Tigers to get 3,000 hits in the franchise's 119year history.  He also joins an elite 7 with both 500 Homers & 3,000 hits.   

Tyrus Raymond Cobb was one of the first book I read.  He was some player.  As for my Orioles, its really painful to see.  Swept by a bunch of bums that call themselves the Yankees.  When Machado left I knew that was it for God knows how long.  They cant compete being in the market they are in. Seattle might be the sleeper in the AL.  They have pitching for sure.  The Mets are playing well and no surprise as they have Buck now. I wish him well there.  If they had Syndergard also it would have helped.  But after the great start, he lost to the Orioles.   Bundy is off to a great start with the Twins.  Today they dogs in Vegas at Tampa.  If Bundy continues his early dominance he could be 4-0 after tonight.

On 4/30/2022 at 1:21 PM, paul carruthers said:

So, I didn't watch it, but the Mets threw a combined no-hitter last night. I'm glad and not surprised to hear that the Mets are doing well this year--I've always regarded Buck as one of the best minds in baseball & liked him in his role as an analyst for the various networks...

They are off to a great start and I believe they can win it this time.  At least the division.  Beating the Dodgers in the playoffs?  Not so sure.  

Well my Or's beat Boston again and salvaged the series.  Now the over achieving Twins come in.  I have to believe this is a team the Orioles have a shot against.  I hope. The White Sox are in a bit of a slump.  That should not last.  Especially once they get Giolito right. Dodgers are their beastly selves. 

Been  perfect so far betting Marlins when Lopez is pitching.  That kid might win the Cy Young. Lopez with the Marlins is money.  And if you read this Paul, your Mets may have to worry about the Marlins over Atlanta.  So Marlins could be the sleeper?  

The NL West is off to a hot start again with the usual teams.  Dodgers, Padres and SF.  Machado will wish he had chosen the Dodgers.  Let him spend his millions eating rice and beans in the SD sun

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

If only the Angels could play the Red Sox every game.

My friend took his kid to the Dodger-Giant game at Dodger Stadium yesterday. Dodger Stadium is now a soulless corporate cashless place. You can't even get a real ticket anymore....it's all virtual over the phone. Parking is $30. 

22 hours ago, Strider said:

If only the Angels could play the Red Sox every game.

My friend took his kid to the Dodger-Giant game at Dodger Stadium yesterday. Dodger Stadium is now a soulless corporate cashless place. You can't even get a real ticket anymore....it's all virtual over the phone. Parking is $30. 

Not just Dodger Stadium.  Camden Yards is also cashless and tickets are mobile only.   Parking, however, is "only" $10. 

On 5/7/2022 at 10:29 AM, paul carruthers said:

It still amazes me how many people still put Kershaw in the same class of a Koufax or even Drysdale... 🤔 

They are both interesting comps. Drysdale started his career at 19, Keyshawn did at 20. Drysdale ended at 32, and Kershaw is 34. Clayton has a slightly lower ERA at 2.48 compared to 2.90, and Drysdale pitched with the mounds higher and in an era where pitchers dominated. The win percentage for Clayton is better, 189 wins and 84 losses compared to Don at 209 wins and 166 losses. Don had far, far more complete games, but that is a generation thing. But they are very equal. There is a very good website where you can compare era’s of players. Baseball Reference is my bible. Now as far as Koufax, he had a dominant 5-6 year run, but he was pedestrian before and retired after that run because of his arm troubles. But for Sandy, he was 165-87 for wins and losses, Kershaw still has him in ERA, his era is 2.48 as mentioned compared to Sandy at 2.76 he also had more complete games, but if anything I don’t think people appreciate Clayton enough. That guy is as good as it gets. And again, Drysdale and Sandy both pitched in a time where pitching was dominating, and because of those two and Bob Gibson MLB actually changed the rules and lowered the mounds. I could argue that Clayton is as good as any of them considering the era he has played in. 

I say all of that with all due respect Because I know you know your Baseball. 
When you have a chance if you haven’t checked out Baseball Reference check it out. Pre 2005 my wife would buy that for me every year and the book was just amazing. We can get it all at the touch of our fingers now, but I still miss the book. It was cool to flip around it to look stats up. 

Be well Paul. Your Mets look like they are for real this year. Plus they took Bassitt, and Mark Cahna from my A’s. One of my staff played with Mark for years in High School and college. That guy is a great all around player. 

^^ Thanks for the well wishes sir. The Mets have been a great surprise so far, but I  think I'll be cautiously optimistic, given the division they play in and recent history of the Mets starting well, then shooting themselves in the foot...

Of course, now we have a much better manager and the offense has been supporting this great pitching staff, so hope springs eternal... 👍 

5 hours ago, Strider said:

What in god's name has happened to the Cincinnati Reds?

Something very similar to my Oakland A’s. They traded away most of their team, or let them go via free agency. I was actually surprised at how much all of the attention was paid to my A’s and their dismantling of the team compared to the Reds. The Reds let pretty much everyone go except a few players. They have a couple of guys in their staff that are going to be amazing in a few years. But, that is a start to a season that is rough for any fan base. The A’s owner has got to go. He is a classless jackass. I’ve resigned myself to thinking that they are moving. Which would be sad. One of the most storied franchises in the history of baseball. I guess it is better than the Reds. Marginally. 

Have a great night Strider. 

OMG!!  Orioles are at Cardinals!!!!!  OMG!!!  My birdies at Kings birdies.   Some Wainright pitching?  Never heard of the bum!!  LOL.  Go O's!!!!  Put hair on the wall.  My boys lost Means for the season and have won 6 of 9 and left the Red Sox sweeping the cellar.  Lets go O's!!!!

On 5/7/2022 at 10:29 AM, paul carruthers said:

It still amazes me how many people still put Kershaw in the same class of a Koufax or even Drysdale... 🤔 

19 hours ago, Plant77 said:

They are both interesting comps. Drysdale started his career at 19, Keyshawn did at 20. Drysdale ended at 32, and Kershaw is 34. Clayton has a slightly lower ERA at 2.48 compared to 2.90, and Drysdale pitched with the mounds higher and in an era where pitchers dominated. The win percentage for Clayton is better, 189 wins and 84 losses compared to Don at 209 wins and 166 losses. Don had far, far more complete games, but that is a generation thing. But they are very equal. There is a very good website where you can compare era’s of players. Baseball Reference is my bible. Now as far as Koufax, he had a dominant 5-6 year run, but he was pedestrian before and retired after that run because of his arm troubles. But for Sandy, he was 165-87 for wins and losses, Kershaw still has him in ERA, his era is 2.48 as mentioned compared to Sandy at 2.76 he also had more complete games, but if anything I don’t think people appreciate Clayton enough. That guy is as good as it gets. And again, Drysdale and Sandy both pitched in a time where pitching was dominating, and because of those two and Bob Gibson MLB actually changed the rules and lowered the mounds. I could argue that Clayton is as good as any of them considering the era he has played in. 

I say all of that with all due respect Because I know you know your Baseball. 
When you have a chance if you haven’t checked out Baseball Reference check it out. Pre 2005 my wife would buy that for me every year and the book was just amazing. We can get it all at the touch of our fingers now, but I still miss the book. It was cool to flip around it to look stats up. 

Be well Paul. Your Mets look like they are for real this year. Plus they took Bassitt, and Mark Cahna from my A’s. One of my staff played with Mark for years in High School and college. That guy is a great all around player. 

I think Paul's reference was to Kershaw's playoff performances relative to his regular season stats. While Koufax and Drysdale all had memorable performances in the playoffs for the Dodgers, Kershaw's playoffs have been mostly marked by failure.

7 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

OMG!!  Orioles are at Cardinals!!!!!  OMG!!!  My birdies at Kings birdies.   Some Wainright pitching?  Never heard of the bum!!  LOL.  Go O's!!!!  Put hair on the wall.  My boys lost Means for the season and have won 6 of 9 and left the Red Sox sweeping the cellar.  Lets go O's!!!!

It does seem rare that the Orioles and the Cardinals play each other either in Baltimore or Saint Louis.  Based on the recent records of both teams, I am going to say that the Cardinals should win this series.

I just saw who is starting for the Cardinals, Packy Naughton.  As big of a Cardinals fan I am and always will be, who the Fuck is Packy Naughton?

Good luck to both teams.  However, go Cardinals!!!

On 5/10/2022 at 7:32 PM, kingzoso said:

It does seem rare that the Orioles and the Cardinals play each other either in Baltimore or Saint Louis.  Based on the recent records of both teams, I am going to say that the Cardinals should win this series.

I just saw who is starting for the Cardinals, Packy Naughton.  As big of a Cardinals fan I am and always will be, who the Fuck is Packy Naughton?

Good luck to both teams.  However, go Cardinals!!!

It did not work out that way King.  The Orioles are playing pretty well right now, far better than I expected.  Especially after losing their best pitcher to Tommy John.  So if we can eave the Red Sox in last place that is a good thing.  If we can keep up this pace, which is wishful thinking perhaps on my party, who knows?  I know the Yankees are over rated.  Blue Jays are picked to win the East but have no luck vs Yankees.  We will win some in NY.  We always do.  I am waiting for this kid Ruachman to come up and take over catching duties.  You got my last guy, Wieters who I loved.  I have his jersey.  This kid is supposed to be real good, but the guy in there today hit one out?  Sometimes i really question Hyde. He is not Buck Showalter

Brief History of Giants and Dodgers Rivalry

The Dodgers and Giants are both currently located in the state of California, but this rivalry got its start when both teams were playing in New York. The two teams first met as the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants way back in 1898. This rivalry is widely considered as the oldest rivalry in professional baseball, and the two teams have played a total of 2,473 games against each other.

Looking at past history usually helps with making predictions for the future, and these two teams have been incredibly competitive since the beginning. The Giants hold a slim 1,243-1,213 lead over the Dodgers in terms of head to head standings. Remarkably, these two teams have also played to a tie 17 times in their long history.

As of this moment, the Cardinals are killing the Giants 11-0 in the top of the 6th.  Arenado, Goldschmidt and Molina have each homered.  Wainwright has only given up two hits so far.  Game is on ESPN.

Edit to add:  make that 11-2.

Edited by kingzoso

Speaking of the Cardinals, tonights win marks 202 wins for Adam Wainright and Yadier Molina, the most in MLB history between a pitcher and catcher (for the same team).

Two future first time ballot Hall of Famers.  All as proud Saint Louis Cardinals.

Also, the debut of Albert Pujols as a pitcher who just happened to give up two home runs in the top of the 9th.  Unfortunately, no strikeouts.  Was fun to watch.  Even the Giants were laughing (in a positive way).