best bonham drumming?

deco

anyone have any ideas of bonhams best performance on bootleg?

i've heard a few little snippits that are amazing

the drums on an outtakes song entitled jam are fuckin phenomanol!!!!!!

any ideas anyone??

His performance on the double DVD set is pretty hot. And he was pretty good when I saw 'em back in 1971.

The '77 tour wasn't the greatest (esp for Page) but there were many nights on which Bonzo was on fire...

The version of TSRTS on "Listen To this Eddie" from 77 has quite jaw-droppingly fast 'n' ferocious drumming. I played it to a drummer once who said that what he was doing sounded physicaly impossible... :blink:

>The version of TSRTS on "Listen To this Eddie" from 77 has quite jaw-droppingly fast 'n' ferocious drumming. I played it to a drummer once who said that what he was doing sounded physicaly impossible...

>

YUP!! You got that right for sure, I have it too, Bonzo is INSANE on that version of TSRTS. It's actually on one of the 2003 DVD's submenus (audio anyway, video I understand was from a different night). It's so ferociously fast, and in the pocket, it's unbelievable. It shows how badly he pissed on all the other drummers when he wanted to...he earned legend status on this version alone.

Also, Achilles Last Stand, In My Time Of Dying, For Your Life, Carouselambra, triplets on Good Times Bad Times, and countless other tracks, and don't even get me started on the bootlegs! Also, Bonham was beyond amazing on the whole 8/4/79 Knebworth show. For example, on 2003 DVD's Knebworth's "Sick Again" right before Page's solo, Bonzo's doing this snare roll, while alternating cymbals with left and right arms, all while keeping his bass drum thumping on the beat all through the fill. It's on 2003 DVD Sick Again, rewind it a few times, it's insane.

CODA'S MOBY DICK HANDS DOWN

>The version of TSRTS on "Listen To this Eddie" from 77 has quite jaw-droppingly fast 'n' ferocious drumming. I played it to a drummer once who said that what he was doing sounded physicaly impossible...

>

YUP!! You got that right for sure, I have it too, Bonzo is INSANE on that version of TSRTS. It's actually on one of the 2003 DVD's submenus (audio anyway, video I understand was from a different night). It's so ferociously fast, and in the pocket, it's unbelievable. It shows how badly he pissed on all the other drummers when he wanted to...he earned legend status on this version alone.

Also, Achilles Last Stand, In My Time Of Dying, For Your Life, Carouselambra, triplets on Good Times Bad Times, and countless other tracks, and don't even get me started on the bootlegs! Also, Bonham was beyond amazing on the whole 8/4/79 Knebworth show. For example, on 2003 DVD's Knebworth's "Sick Again" right before Page's solo, Bonzo's doing this snare roll, while alternating cymbals with left and right arms, all while keeping his bass drum thumping on the beat all through the fill. It's on 2003 DVD Sick Again, rewind it a few times, it's insane.

Thanks for the tips. The most recent jawdropper was the earliest Carouselambra rehearsals, he sounds like a... i don't know, a thunder. Something. Machine!

For another hint, i find Sugar Mama's basspatterns neat. They are close to Immigrant Song - my drummer friend that SM's a bit harder to perform than IS. (Due to the bass pattern, i suppose.)

the drums on an outtakes song entitled jam are fuckin phenomanol!!!!!!

Wait, you mean the PG one?

If you can find the Bonham Outtakes off the "In Through the Out Door" album they're phenomenal for a fellow drummer to listen to. I always smile when I hear him screaming when he picks up the pace for a fill. He was so intense when he sat behind the kit to play. Although often from the drumming community his solo's Live weren't praised at all. Actually the drumming community thought it to be just non-sensical hammering. LOL. Regardless of what another persons opinion is.... Bonzo is still admired by thousands.

he really was a hammer of the gods.

In JPJ words, "He was a bass players dream."

The best live drumming from Bonzo, hands down, is from Germany in March 1973. The versions of Dazed & Confused are just incredible, with Bonzo really on fire. He added fills and improvisations that he never did during Dazed, before or after. For some reason, he really was inspired that month, as was the rest of the band.

April 24, 1969 in San Francisco is good. Hamburg 1973 is excellent, especially D & C. My favorite all time version of that song, too bad the whole thing isn't a SBD recording. June 21, 23, and 27 are all great Bonzo shows, as well as Knebworth Aug 4th. He goes apeshit on the drums at the end of Black Dog. There are many more, but those are some that come to mind.

The best live drumming from Bonzo, hands down, is from Germany in March 1973. The versions of Dazed & Confused are just incredible, with Bonzo really on fire. He added fills and improvisations that he never did during Dazed, before or after. For some reason, he really was inspired that month, as was the rest of the band.

agreed. bonzo is crazy at that show. that's always the first that comes to mind with bonzo, along with listen to this eddie. that whole euro '73 tour, musically, is the best the band ever played.

I'm gonna echo whats been said and recommend you check out "Listen to this, Eddie", from 6/21/77 i do believe. I dont have the biggest bootleg collection in the world, but Zep's sound on this one is just phenomenal. It hits hard, and takes every song by the absolute balls.

Bonham highlights include the first three songs, SRTS, Sick Again, and Nobody's Fault But Mine, the jam session in the (30:25) (!!!!) No Quarter - he sounds like a machine gun, and Achilles Last Stand. Oh, and also, the entire rest of the set.

I like this album for the energy, it wins out in that aspect (in my humble opinion) against any of the commercial live albums, and rocks in a different but also incredible way from any other Zep show I've ever heard. Listen to this. (eddie)

• 1 month later...

Good shows to seek Bonham's drumming are (My favorites):

04/24/69 (Fillmore West) - The best recording of Bonzo's drumming in a bootleg.

01/09/70 (Royal Albert Hall) - Check out the Double DVD or the Kevin Shirley's Working Tapes

09/04/71 (Toronto)

09/29/71 (Japan) - "Soundboard" Tape

01/15/73 - Threntham Garden

The 10 Days of the European Tour (3/14/73 to 3/24/73)

Earls Court Five Shows (5/17/75 to 5/25/75)

06/21/77 (LA Forum) - His drumming is totally Insane

06/23/77 (LA Forum) - Bonzo & Keith Moon...

08/04/79 (Knebworth)

Of course, there are some I don't remember at the moment... And I know I'm missing

My favorite part is in TSRTS. It's in dazed and confused, right when Bonzo and Jonsey are bullshitting. That Fill he puts in to enter into the song "San Fransisco". It's not fast but the whole way the group was tight and it flowed perfectly. I know TSRTS was edited but still just the way it sounds.

yeah check it out!!

Yes i like this "untitled instrumental" soooo much! ich already listened to it 1000 times! (no lie!). Its so great, i'm not able to describe it with words. just pure feel. bonzo was the greatest drummer who ever picked up sticks. who cares abou vinnie colaiuta and this sort of drummers? i don't give a shit to them B)

My favorite part is in TSRTS. It's in dazed and confused, right when Bonzo and Jonsey are bullshitting. That Fill he puts in to enter into the song "San Fransisco". It's not fast but the whole way the group was tight and it flowed perfectly. I know TSRTS was edited but still just the way it sounds.

Yes, I agree that part in TSRTS was awesome as well as Moby Dick of course. There will never be another drummer like Bonzo!! He is one of a kind and I also thought he was kicking ass on the Knebworth performances and Earls Court too.

Osaka Oct. 2nd 1972, the solo right after rock and roll. TSRTS from Listen to this eddie, or just TSRTS in general, the power behind his beat. How Many More Times is great too. Pat's Delight from 4-24-69. Knebworth, both nights. The Crunge is pretty cool. The funky interludes in Whole Lotta Love are pretty cool from 1973-1975. Any early Bonham where he beat the HOLY SHIT out of the drums.

Also What Is And What Should Never Be from 04-01-1971

Archived