Random Thoughts. The Return.

Strider

It's a shame people vote party line no matter what. No matter how insane the left and the right get, you dare not go against your tribe. No matter what.

70-80% of Americans want basic sensible gun law reforms. Not "we are taking all your guns" stuff, just some basic checks/balances. Which will do little, but little is better than nothing. Unfortunately this is not possible in the current dynamic. And while I don't think the current dynamic is sustainable it is intractable for now.

It's just so maddening and tragic. Every time I hear "thoughts and prayers" I wait to hear some parent rage "You can shove your thoughts and prayers up your ass".

Only in America... - that applies here more than with anything else. Just crazy.

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

It's a shame people vote party line no matter what. No matter how insane the left and the right get, you dare not go against your tribe. No matter what.

70-80% of Americans want basic sensible gun law reforms. Not "we are taking all your guns" stuff, just some basic checks/balances. Which will do little, but little is better than nothing. Unfortunately this is not possible in the current dynamic. And while I don't think the current dynamic is sustainable it is intractable for now.

It's just so maddening and tragic. Every time I hear "thoughts and prayers" I wait to hear some parent rage "You can shove your thoughts and prayers up your ass".

Only in America... - that applies here more than with anything else. Just crazy.

Beto wants your  AR-14. 

On 5/26/2022 at 6:06 PM, cryingbluerain said:

Truly a horrible situation but unless you're a gang banger living in one of the major cities, your chances of dying from gun violence are pretty low.  Not something I lay awake at night worrying about.

I guess that is one way of looking at it. Going by mass shootings in the US we have had 248 of them so far in 2022. I imagine that the people who woke up and went to work and took their kids to school that day probably felt the same way. I can’t say that I think much about it for my teenage daughter at school as well. But we certainly have an issue here in the states. Be it with gangbangers, and then the very troubled young adults and adults who walk into schools, bars, clubs, churches, grocery stores and start spraying people with bullets. It does seem to be progressing as well. Growing up in the 1980’s we had drive by shootings, but these mass shootings I don’t remember reading about or watching at the rate we have now. I don’t know what to blame it on. I just know that when people run to their political/tribal corners and start placing blame on the other side it is not helpful or respectful to the people and families that are living through the tragedy. I certainly don’t have the answers, but something has to change. It is heartbreaking, and embarrassing. And as much as the heartbreak and embarrassment it is also so very angering to hear these jackass politicians say “ thoughts and prayers”! I don’t think anyone gives a shit about their thoughts and prayers. And we elect these people. Damn.

As if Chris Paul could not get any lamer, he was in this new-age mumbo jumbo commercial for something called an oura ring last night during the game. Ha! That is the only ring he is going to get...he ain't getting an NBA championship ring.

12 hours ago, Plant77 said:

I guess that is one way of looking at it. Going by mass shootings in the US we have had 248 of them so far in 2022. I imagine that the people who woke up and went to work and took their kids to school that day probably felt the same way. I can’t say that I think much about it for my teenage daughter at school as well. But we certainly have an issue here in the states. Be it with gangbangers, and then the very troubled young adults and adults who walk into schools, bars, clubs, churches, grocery stores and start spraying people with bullets. It does seem to be progressing as well. Growing up in the 1980’s we had drive by shootings, but these mass shootings I don’t remember reading about or watching at the rate we have now. I don’t know what to blame it on. I just know that when people run to their political/tribal corners and start placing blame on the other side it is not helpful or respectful to the people and families that are living through the tragedy. I certainly don’t have the answers, but something has to change. It is heartbreaking, and embarrassing. And as much as the heartbreak and embarrassment it is also so very angering to hear these jackass politicians say “ thoughts and prayers”! I don’t think anyone gives a shit about their thoughts and prayers. And we elect these people. Damn.

Fun fact: 25% of American boys are being raised in fatherless homes, THREE TIMES HIGHER than the 1960s.

While the media hyperventilate their partisan talking points, no one is asking the hard questions:

Where did the punk get the money to buy the weapons?

If the merchant ran a background check it should have tripped three flags yet the weapons were sold to the punk regardless -- why? 

10 hours ago, Strider said:

As if Chris Paul could not get any lamer, he was in this new-age mumbo jumbo commercial for something called an oura ring last night during the game. Ha! That is the only ring he is going to get...he ain't getting an NBA championship ring.

This has to be an SNL skit or something. If not, I guarantee you he's wearing clothes on weekends that make him feel pretty.

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Fun fact: 25% of American boys are being raised in fatherless homes, THREE TIMES HIGHER than the 1960s.

While the media hyperventilate their partisan talking points, no one is asking the hard questions:

Where did the punk get the money to buy the weapons?

If the merchant ran a background check it should have tripped three flags yet the weapons were sold to the punk regardless -- why? 

That is true, and we have roughly doubled our population since 1960. We were at a 180 million I believe. The United Kingdom also has 21% of their children being raised by a single parent which is predominantly women. They don’t have the amount of mass shootings we have here in the states. Russia isn’t that far behind with 19%. I don’t have the answers, I also don’t know how the Texas shooter was able to purchase the weapon that he used. I do know that the background loophole of buying guns at gun shows and online absolutely effects the tracking and actual background checks. In a major way. There are a ton of statistics we can all look at. You live in a country where  mass shootings are almost nonexistent. They have very strict laws there. I’m a gun owner, I hunt, as well as have them for protection of my person and properties. But thoughts and prayers, and black, or white, Republican or Democrat, things are not changing. 

I just watched a montage of Ted Cruz interviews. He has to be a SNL character. The amount of shit he talks out of both sides of his mouth is just incredible. He is very bright. Just happens to be the biggest suck ass on the face of the planet. And he has a face and voice that you just want to punch! 

Hope all is well Steve. 

19 hours ago, Strider said:

This has to be a joke. Right? And yes, that is the only ring he will get to wear in the NBA. I’m excited to see who my Warriors will be facing. 

I have to watch this again or try and find some information on this. Crazy. 

I had a weird experience at the mall yesterday.

Recently, I bought a new pair of sneakers that are mostly white and they got a bit of dirt on them. As I was walking down the mall there was one of those little kiosks in the middle of the walkway where they sell stuff and as I was passing a black guy working it said "Hey man, clean your shoes for free."  My first thought was yeah, my shoes could use a cleaning but as I was thinking that my brain screamed at me to think about this situation, You are a white guy having a black man shine your white shoes for free! how does that look in todays climate of all whites are racist??

I declined but he kept trying to get me to do it by saying it was free.  I said "I can't do that to you man, I don't have any money and I don't want you to have to do anything for free". He gave me a fist bump and I moved on.

Should I have let him clean my shoes for free????

32 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

I had a weird experience at the mall yesterday.

Recently, I bought a new pair of sneakers that are mostly white and they got a bit of dirt on them. As I was walking down the mall there was one of those little kiosks in the middle of the walkway where they sell stuff and as I was passing a black guy working it said "Hey man, clean your shoes for free."  My first thought was yeah, my shoes could use a cleaning but as I was thinking that my brain screamed at me to think about this situation, You are a white guy having a black man shine your white shoes for free! how does that look in todays climate of all whites are racist??

I declined but he kept trying to get me to do it by saying it was free.  I said "I can't do that to you man, I don't have any money and I don't want you to have to do anything for free". He gave me a fist bump and I moved on.

Should I have let him clean my shoes for free????

That is a tough one. He did say it was free, but gave you a fist 👊 bump for saying that “you couldn’t do that as you had no money and did not want him to do anything for free”. Those Kiosks are set up to lure people in and then buy shit that we don’t need. If it was a white dude, or an Asian dude would you have let him? And if the answer is yes, that isn’t racist, it’s just not wanting to look racist is a thing people are dealing with. Who would have thought that a Kiosk at a mall could be so goddamn complicated. 2022 I guess. 

Maybe he thought you had some sick kicks on and didn’t want you walking around with them dirty. Dirty shoes is a big deal to me. I’m obsessive about them. I put them back in their boxes with the stuffing in them when I’m not wearing them.