The 3 Greatest Rock bands ever

McSeven

Howard Stern thinks that Led Zeppelin/The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are the top 3 of all time.  I sort of agree.  For me.  If I had to use the classic rock era.  AC/DC/Led Zeppelin/The Stones are the three that I always hear bands do in my city or cover.  

Who would you put with Zep if you had to choose 2 others to go with Zep.  

This is so subjective, part of it is worth talking about, and part of it isn't. If I had to go with my Top 3, based solely on what I own and listen to most regularly, it would be Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and The Beatles, but I know people who'd argue that The Beatles weren't strictly a rock band, but the latter third of their career was more rock-ish than pop.

there is no "right" answer here, whatever floats your boat, I can see Stern said that based on how these groups perhaps changed music, opened doors for others, singles to albums, had hand in  how fm radio changed etc... besides Zepp liked Credence, eagles, early Queen, purple, bad co. what number am I at ? 

Great question. If we're talking greatest in terms of influencing music and people in general, I'd go with Beatles and maybe Bowie. Bowie was so damn iconic (this word is hella over-used but for him it actually applies). He was brilliant and basically untouchable from 1970-1983 imho. He influenced so many people and was just an artist in every sense of the word. 

If we're talking greatest subjectively - purely opinion and personal preference - I'd go with Captain Beefheart and The Fall. Both those bands were proudly (and in the Fall's case purposefully) under the radar but were light years ahead of their time and influenced countless bands over the decades (more punk bands than I can mention, bigger names include Jane's Addiction, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Tom Waits) that has in turn been filtered down over the years to what passes for pop/rock today in 2022.

12 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Great question. If we're talking greatest in terms of influencing music and people in general, I'd go with Beatles and maybe Bowie. Bowie was so damn iconic (this word is hella over-used but for him it actually applies). He was brilliant and basically untouchable from 1970-1983 imho. He influenced so many people and was just an artist in every sense of the word. 

If we're talking greatest subjectively - purely opinion and personal preference - I'd go with Captain Beefheart and The Fall. Both those bands were proudly (and in the Fall's case purposefully) under the radar but were light years ahead of their time and influenced countless bands over the decades (more punk bands than I can mention, bigger names include Jane's Addiction, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Tom Waits) that has in turn been filtered down over the years to what passes for pop/rock today in 2022.

Top three is a tough one, top five is tough as well. Regarding influence you have to toss Roxy Music, Kraftwerk, and possibly the Spark Bros. into the mix. Then there is Judas Priest which IMO, was the template for all the 80's metal scene along with Scorpions. 

But for sheer overall influence, changing the game, and success I have to go with, in this order, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Zeppelin.

Edited by BobDobbs

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

Top three is a tough one, top five is tough as well. Regarding influence you have to toss Roxy Music, Kraftwerk, and possibly the Spark Bros. into the mix. Then there is Judas Priest which IMO, was the template for all the 80's metal scene along with Scorpions. 

But for sheer overall influence, changing the game, and success I have to go with, in this order, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Zeppelin.

The first 4 Roxy albums are so dope, right down to the album covers ... 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 8:26 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Try as I might, I have just never been able to get into The Who 

Try as I might I can’t stand Deep Purple. Of any era. Obviously a few talented musicians in the band. Not arguing that. But they have always seemed like a cover band playing cover music to me. Other than a handful of songs “ The Who “ do not do it for me either. 

Best 3 bands Led Zeppelin, Stones, Prince, and if I’m going to put one band from my generation it is STP and tied with Layne Alice N Chains. And Janes Addiction. They were brilliant. So a few more than 3. 

QUOTE ROBERT PLANT (circa mid 70’s):

”Were just miles ahead of whoever's # 2”

Ah i love when theirs an opening for me to post the above quote by Robert Plant.

What a amazingly funny response or just banter to throw out their without much thought sitting on TOP OF THE WORLD!

TRUE ,to the point without skipping a beat or even remembering he said it  &  likely already moved on to next conversation 

leaving me rolling on the floor as a teenager in the magazine isle in the early 80’s when i read it!

Made me just LOVE 💕 the Band & him even more!

Led Zeppelin has always been one of my most favorite things in my life!

more than just their music ,  it’s their everything , their atmosphere , interviews , actions, quotes , cockiness  , JPJ the understated secret weapon  ALL OF IT such greatX’s !

how could anyone just not be thankful we are around this close in time to even experience the after glow of what we (i) missed or caught the tail end of!

idk whos fighting for spot number 3& 4

but Zeps got #1 AND #2  totally coverd!

Take that to the BANK!

15 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Try as I might I can’t stand Deep Purple. Of any era. Obviously a few talented musicians in the band. Not arguing that. But they have always seemed like a cover band playing cover music to me. Other than a handful of songs “ The Who “ do not do it for me either. 

Best 3 bands Led Zeppelin, Stones, Prince, and if I’m going to put one band from my generation it is STP and tied with Layne Alice N Chains. And Janes Addiction. They were brilliant. So a few more than 3. 

I’ll say this re’ your comment 

PRINCE / good input , very nice u put him on this list, he certainly belongs on many lists !

Deep Purple/ Perfect Strangers LP sure showed everyone they were a FORSE not to be underestimated! 

STP/ were a fabrication by the industry & feed songs to capitalize on the music scene. Is how i understand it! Like a nickleback , songs written & promoted forced in high rotation , that being said there were 2-3 songs that were sO undeniably Power-full & untouchable! By the time the hitmaker teams focused on a nickeleback they really had it down & pumped out hit after hit !  When big $ is behind something u never know who really writes the songs!

fun songs though! 

44 minutes ago, z1inspector said:

I’ll say this re’ your comment 

PRINCE / good input , very nice u put him on this list, he certainly belongs on many lists !

Deep Purple/ Perfect Strangers LP sure showed everyone they were a FORSE not to be underestimated! 

STP/ were a fabrication by the industry & feed songs to capitalize on the music scene. Is how i understand it! Like a nickleback , songs written & promoted forced in high rotation , that being said there were 2-3 songs that were sO undeniably Power-full & untouchable! By the time the hitmaker teams focused on a nickeleback they really had it down & pumped out hit after hit !  When big $ is behind something u never know who really writes the songs!

fun songs though! 

What’s going on Inspector. We will have to respectfully disagree with each other. There was a lot of hate for that band when they came out, and it was generated by some of the bands at that time. There is an excellent article done in 2017 by Dave Everley in Classic Rock. The band that they could be compared to would be Led Zeppelin. They like Zeppelin didn’t have to slog through years of indie labels and their album core sold 8 million records. They wrote very good songs, lifted from the groups they listened to some. Many riffs are watered down Zeppelin riffs. But to compare them to Nickleback is in my opinion way off. Listen to Scotts lyrics. That man is one of the greatest lyricists of his generation. I know that Eddie Vedder talked shit when they came out, and I believe a few others, but that was my era, I was fortunate enough to have seen them open for Robert Plant and Lenny Kravitz, and then several other shows, I was fortunate enough to see Alice N Chains, and I also say Pearl Jam several times. Vocally Eddie couldn’t compare or compete with either Layne, or Scott. He sounded like sheep boy fro SNL. Again that’s just my opinion. 

Prince I was also fortunate enough to see several times. One of the greatest guitarists ever. He could do it all, just one of the best entertainers of all time who had many different styles. 

Growing up in the 80’s and becoming a supposes adult in the early 1990’s I do think we had some of the best of both worlds. Late 1980’s early 1990’s music was really good, got away from that new wave, and the hair metal. With that some really good bands came out, and we were lucky enough to still have the music that our parents grew up on. Seeing the Stones in 1994, Neil Young on several occasions, Page and Plant, Plant solo, Lynyrd, Bad Company, Santana, Van Halen, damn what an amazing time. That is why I personally feel it was as good a time as any. We had the groups of the 60’s and 70’s that were slightly younger than I am now out there killing it, plus the countless bands that were amazing for any generation all doing their thing. Plus being a huge Hip Hop fan we had all of that as well. 

Cheers Z1. 

Ok ok , i give STP another chance , i tell u what , sex type thing & Vaseline are sO powerful & ? One other i forgot were unbelievably AWSOME SONGS !!!

birthday death bed yea!  If thats what its officially called , sO great ! 

Still i have doubts of the true creators , but those songs are actually sO amazing to me i think back off on shittin on them sO much! Lol  ill AIM ALL MY TURDS towards nickleback them , & blame u 😜

Yea MASS respect to PRINCE! 

I heard Plant even say some things in high regards of Prince!  😳!

yea i agree with the era of music your referring to but i add alota big hair (need a new term , big hair is too disrespectful) bands ,  most of those bands & ANY  music in any era that has such POWER ! 

& big hair had more than most eras !

gosh not gonna try naming some ok i will real quick & only 1 quick song next to name

Dio last in line

Kiss All hells breaking loose

skid row monkey business

twisted sister the price

ratt lack of comunication

living color cult of personality

def leopard , Tesla sO many more anyway sorry i prob went off track !

️hey  plant77 heres one u should go search & play from back then , I THINK EVERYONE FORGOT THESE GUYS   Although its nothing like your era  but  well maybe ..... ? Idk ? slipped under the radar , let me know how hard it rocked you!  

BAND :Shooting Star

SONG: Last Chance

i call them the most tragically overlooked band in rock n roll

i promise it will become one of the best songs you NEVER HEARD 

LMK

Stay kewl ! 

Beatles for sure ... and I'd be torn between Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones.

An equally interesting question - why are so many of rock's greatest bands British? American bands come up wanting when matched up against The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and The Who. Sure, there's The Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers Band, and The Eagles  ... but for me it's no contest.

Must have been amazing to be on the British music scene in the 60s.