The 3 Greatest Rock bands ever

McSeven

• 3 months later...

Other than Led Zeppelin, it's tough for me. Other rock bands that come to mind includes Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Beatles, Queen, Cream, the Doors, Black Sabbath, Alice in Chains, AC/DC, the Elton John Band, the Guess Who, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Stone Temple Pilots, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, Chicago, CSN/CSNY/Neil Young, the Byrds, the Yardbirds, the Kinks, the Animals, David Bowie and the Spiders from Mars/whatever band he was with at the time, Marilyn Manson, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Boston, the Cars, Metallica, Thin Lizzy, Peter Frampton, the Velvet Underground/Lou Reed, the Stooges/Iggy Pop, etc. Where exactly to put them in a top 3, top 5, top 10, whatever is hard for me. I guess I could throw out a top 3 for today:

1. Led Zeppelin

2. The Rolling Stones

3. Pink Floyd

PS - I know a lot of you have mentioned Deep Purple already. And I'm sure it's warranted. But I just haven't listened to a lot of their music yet. So I'd feel like a phony if I listed them. Also from what I have heard, to be honest, not sure I'd rank them as highly as the bands I have at my top. Not a knock on them or their fans, just a matter of personal preference. I recognize Eddie Van Halen's greatness as a guitarist, and the greatness of their lead singers, but I basically feel the same way about Van Halen. Just not the biggest fan of their music overall. Sorry.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:54 AM, paul carruthers said:

I just realized that I probably don't mention Prince and the Revolution enough when it comes to my favorite bands....

On 4/3/2022 at 7:03 PM, z1inspector said:

Niiice!  Yea

i should throw PRINCE out there more often myself, i was just saying that to someone  yest i 🤔

most definitely worthy!!! 

Probably because a lot of their/his music can't be categorized as rock. Not a knock on it at all as I don't just listen to rock music. But in a thread about "the 3 greatest rock bands ever" it might not come to mind. But he's a sensational guitar player and musician/performer overall.

4 hours ago, Little Robert Anthony II said:

PS - I know a lot of you have mentioned Deep Purple already. And I'm sure it's warranted. But I just haven't listened to a lot of their music yet. 

May I suggest you listen to THE greatest live album ever made." Made in Japan". If only Martin Birch had been asked to record the Zeppelin shows of Japan in 1972 or 1971 for that matter, we would have had the 2 greatest albums from bands at their peak. 

It's an interesting story regarding Made in Japan. The record label only wanted it to be released in Japan. When Roger Glover heard it he couldn't believe how fantastic it sounded and it got a general release. Gillan was on his way out by that time (he left in 73 along with Glover who was politely asked to leave) and it is widely regarded the bands pinnacle of their career. Zeppelin on the other hand, who's live performances were legendary, couldn't muster a live album throughout their time together. 

On 8/2/2022 at 6:28 AM, chillumpuffer said:

May I suggest you listen to THE greatest live album ever made." Made in Japan". If only Martin Birch had been asked to record the Zeppelin shows of Japan in 1972 or 1971 for that matter, we would have had the 2 greatest albums from bands at their peak. 

It's an interesting story regarding Made in Japan. The record label only wanted it to be released in Japan. When Roger Glover heard it he couldn't believe how fantastic it sounded and it got a general release. Gillan was on his way out by that time (he left in 73 along with Glover who was politely asked to leave) and it is widely regarded the bands pinnacle of their career. Zeppelin on the other hand, who's live performances were legendary, couldn't muster a live album throughout their time together. 

Thanks for the suggestion and the information. I'll get back to you about what I think about the album...

On 8/2/2022 at 1:59 AM, Little Robert Anthony II said:

Other than Led Zeppelin, it's tough for me. Other rock bands that come to mind includes Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Beatles, Queen, Cream, the Doors, Black Sabbath, Alice in Chains, AC/DC, the Elton John Band, the Guess Who, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Stone Temple Pilots, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, Chicago, CSN/CSNY/Neil Young, the Byrds, the Yardbirds, the Kinks, the Animals, David Bowie and the Spiders from Mars/whatever band he was with at the time, Marilyn Manson, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Boston, the Cars, Metallica, Thin Lizzy, Peter Frampton, the Velvet Underground/Lou Reed, the Stooges/Iggy Pop, etc. Where exactly to put them in a top 3, top 5, top 10, whatever is hard for me. I guess I could throw out a top 3 for today:

1. Led Zeppelin

2. The Rolling Stones

3. Pink Floyd

PS - I know a lot of you have mentioned Deep Purple already. And I'm sure it's warranted. But I just haven't listened to a lot of their music yet. So I'd feel like a phony if I listed them. Also from what I have heard, to be honest, not sure I'd rank them as highly as the bands I have at my top. Not a knock on them or their fans, just a matter of personal preference. I recognize Eddie Van Halen's greatness as a guitarist, and the greatness of their lead singers, but I basically feel the same way about Van Halen. Just not the biggest fan of their music overall. Sorry.

Apparently I can't edit this post, so I just wanted to add that I meant to put Steely Dan in here as they're one of my favorite bands. Although a lot of their songs can't really be considered rock, they're generally considered to be a rock band overall, or "jazz rock". Regardless, they're a great band and warrant inclusion.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:28 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Just finished listening to the Made in Japan deluxe edition which includes the 3 encore songs. Amazing live album with great sound quality. Especially the opening song Highway Star. Ian Gillan sounds great live, the whole band really. Still don't think I'd rate them that highly as a band. I feel like other bands had better material and were better songwriters. They were really talented but I don't like their songs that much overall. Sorry to sound critical, but that's just my honest assessment. But as far as live bands go, if you were a fan of the band, they really gave their fans a great live show.

I don't really know what you mean about Led Zeppelin, by the way. The Song Remains the Same live album came out in 1976, when they were still an active band. And then 3 more live albums came out after they disbanded after Bonzo died. Including How the West Was Won. So maybe you meant something else by that, or I don't know what. Please explain...

1 minute ago, Little Robert Anthony II said:

I don't really know what you mean about Led Zeppelin, by the way. The Song Remains the Same live album came out in 1976, when they were still an active band. And then 3 more live albums came out after they disbanded after Bonzo died. Including How the West Was Won. So maybe you meant something else by that, or I don't know what. Please explain...

Horses for course about Made in Japan. 

The Song Remains The Same is not a live album. It is the soundtrack to the film. They were obliged to release it. I remember when it was released and went to the flix to watch it. It was great. However, critics were not as kind. Most said the film was disjointed and dull whilst the album was most likely to appeal. 

3 Live albums since they disbanded? How the west was won is a pretty poor affair in my opinion. Processed to hell with a fake audience and no atmosphere. Sure the performances are OK but not a patch on the bootleg versions of both shows.

I assume you mean the 1969 show as a bonus disc was another?

What is the third one? Did I miss something? Oh of course the O2 reunion show. Not Led Zeppelin I'm afraid

On 8/4/2022 at 1:48 AM, chillumpuffer said:

The Song Remains The Same is not a live album. It is the soundtrack to the film.

I think this is nit-picking.  Obviously there are quirks to the album (esp. the original '76 version), but all official live releases are augmented in some way (Made in Japan is no exception).  TSRTS is a legitimate live representation of the band (at or near their peak).  Certainly some of Page's finest live playing is well-captured by it (NQ, STH, most of DC).  Is it imperfect or could it have been much better?  Of course, but that's not the point.  It's a valid live representation of the band (official naming due to the movie aside), released by the band, and it should count as a live album.

1 minute ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I think this is nit-picking.  Obviously there are quirks to the album (esp. the original '76 version), but all official live releases are augmented in some way (Made in Japan is no exception).  TSRTS is a legitimate live representation of the band (at or near their peak).  Certainly some of Page's finest live playing is well-captured by it (NQ, STH, most of DC).  Is it imperfect or could it have been much better?  Of course, but that's not the point.  It's a valid live representation of the band (official naming due to the movie aside), released by the band, and it should count as a live album.

Whilst I agree to a point, it is the soundtrack to the film. The original NQ is far, far better than the remastered version. Yes there are real highlights. TSRTS/Rain song is perhaps the best 20 odd minutes you could wish to hear.

The band were far better live between 1969-1972 then they were in 1973 (aside from the early European dates of that year). What I didn't really get was why they filmed and recorded the last 3 dates of a big tour? They were tired and it shows. 

Page could and should have released The Albert Hall show which really is a fabulous gig. Almost perfect, as it was recorded on one night rather than splicing and tweaking 3 shows in New York. TSRTS (film) has always and will be forever be a dogs dinner. I mean having to re film some of the stuff in a studio with one band member wearing a syrup?? 

It is a real shame, and one that we all agree on, was the filming (or non) filming of Bath and Iceland in 1970. That snippet of Dazed in Reykjavik is absolutely great. Where is the rest of it? 

Page must have and I repeat, must have, the multitrack of Bath festival. They filmed it so it sense tells me that they recorded it also?

21 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Whilst I agree to a point, it is the soundtrack to the film. The original NQ is far, far better than the remastered version. Yes there are real highlights. TSRTS/Rain song is perhaps the best 20 odd minutes you could wish to hear.

The band were far better live between 1969-1972 then they were in 1973 (aside from the early European dates of that year). What I didn't really get was why they filmed and recorded the last 3 dates of a big tour? They were tired and it shows. 

Page could and should have released The Albert Hall show which really is a fabulous gig. Almost perfect, as it was recorded on one night rather than splicing and tweaking 3 shows in New York. TSRTS (film) has always and will be forever be a dogs dinner. I mean having to re film some of the stuff in a studio with one band member wearing a syrup?? 

It is a real shame, and one that we all agree on, was the filming (or non) filming of Bath and Iceland in 1970. That snippet of Dazed in Reykjavik is absolutely great. Where is the rest of it? 

Page must have and I repeat, must have, the multitrack of Bath festival. They filmed it so it sense tells me that they recorded it also?

Fully agree that Page dropped the ball big time on releasing live stuff.  There's a lot more he should have done, and still could, but won't.  A real pity.  But I think a big part of this has to do with your assessment of the band live post-72.  I myself think July of '73 was their peak, although you are right about March of that year, it's not too far behind.  And I disagree about the caliber of the MSG shows:  while no single NYC night is the best of that tour, as a whole they have some of the best moments.  Issues with the movie/soundtrack notwithstanding (and again, all official live albums are doctored in some way), TSRTS is a legitimate live document of the band.  If nothing else it shows well the blend of pure musicianship (of pre-73) and superstar excess (of post-73), that kind of encapsulates Zeppelin.

I think I've said my peace on this before, but I believe if the MSG shows would've been filmed like a straight up concert without all the fluff, it would have been received better.

Apparently there were intentions to film and release those last 2 Earl's Court shows as such documents of live Zeppelin, but who knows why that never happened.

The soundtrack of TSRTS is always enjoyable because there's no unintentional comedy of Shepperton footage or fantasy sequences. The only slight to my ears is Robert's voice, but it's understandable, given the heavy touring they did...

14 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Apparently there were intentions to film and release those last 2 Earl's Court shows as such documents of live Zeppelin, but who knows why that never happened.

Thankfully they didn't. As fine as they are, it is a bit overblown in parts. Dazed in particularly . Can't recall which night Plant says "of all the years we have been playing it, you would think we would get it right" or something on those lines. Don't get me wrong EC's shows are great in their own right but they had lost that spark that they had pre 75 

The 2 Knebworth shows too were filmed of course. That is why they wore exactly the same clothes on both nights. Something they couldn't get right in 1973

On 8/6/2022 at 4:48 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Obviously there are quirks to the album (esp. the original '76 version), but all official live releases are augmented in some way (Made in Japan is no exception).

Sadly, most of the official live releases are doctored, some of them less, many to an extremely high degree, such as KISS ALIVE! & Frampton Comes Alive!. Let´s not forget about the worst of them all: The Doors Absolutely Live- compiled & spliced by Baron Victor Frankenstein. And now to something completely different: Please explain in which way Made In Japan was processed. I have never heard anything like that, quite the contrary! The album is praised by musicians and critics just because it is a real, honest live recording.without any kind of overdubs.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:52 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Sadly, most of the official live releases are doctored, some of them less, many to an extremely high degree, such as KISS ALIVE! & Frampton Comes Alive!. Let´s not forget about the worst of them all: The Doors Absolutely Live- compiled & spliced by Baron Victor Frankenstein. And now to something completely different: Please explain in which way Made In Japan was processed. I have never heard anything like that, quite the contrary! The album is praised by musicians and critics just because it is a real, honest live recording.without any kind of overdubs.

I don't have any specific claims about Made in Japan, I just referred to it because it's already been discussed here (as a counterpoint to TSRTS), and I would be very surprised if, as an official release, it wasn't subjected to some kind of studio editing.  You are right, it certainly is never mentioned as one of the more egregious examples of augmentation.  (There are audience sources of those Japan shows, I'm pretty sure you can find them on youtube, but I've never done a side-by-side comparison.)

Not three but five:

1.  Led Zeppelin

2.  Rush

3.  Dio

4.  Judas Priest

5.  Iron Maiden...

Led Zeppelin and Rush are the Greatest (to me).  Dio, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are my three favorites after the first two.  There are a lot of bands that are overrated and to me the one band that is the most overrated is Pink Floyd.  I say this based on the same old songs that are constantly played on the radio (at least here in Dallas) which is probably the same in every city in the United States.  I actually change the radio when a Pink Floyd song comes on.  As for Led Zeppelin and Rush, I will sit in my car until the song is over unless I am going to work.