Found tapes of 1973 broadcast rebroadcast on 26th Sept 1980 - and any leads on India recordings?

Greetings from Hammerwood. The house was one of those owned by the band in the 1970s through their companies Superhype Tapes and Woodhammer Nominees.

Recently I've been archiving reel to reel tapes and have been doing the reverse, buying tape on which to archive digital material.

Last week I bought two R2R tapes, one of which has a concert recorded in 1973 and rebroadcast in 1980, and another, better quality recorded at 7 1/2 ips, of the 1980 broadcast mentioning a 1971 recording date. I will be transcribing both and putting on YouTube.

Whilst writing, around 20 - 25 years ago I went to a car-boot sale at Lingfield where someone was selling CDs. I bought two - one of a New York Times Square concert and the other, fascinating, a bootleg of a session in India, probably Bombay, and possibly with Ravi Shankar. Sadly my irresponsible son . . . lost both. Are these recordings known and might I be able to buy a copy? Both were rather golden.

By nature I'm a classical musician and piano tuner - for the past dozen and more years tuning pianos to a different scale than usual - and have found the commercial disks unattractive. But live in concert recordings are musical and magical.

Edit - the CD I had and is lost had the track which introduces:

So the CD would not have been unique and the source tape must still be somewhere . . . It's glorious if anyone can find it!

Best wishes

David Pinnegar

Edited by Hammerwood Park

The Bombay sessions were released officially as bonus content on CODA in 2015: https://discography.ledzeppelin.com/coda.html
There's been bootleg versions for many years that had some rehearsals too with the Bombay orchestra -- what the CD you mentioned contained. Anything else that's been on bootleg cd exists in multiple ways in collectors circles and online.

BBC 1971 (rebroadcast in 1980) you mentioned might be interesting if they mention anything about Bonham passing away and news at the time.

8 hours ago, Hammerwood Park said:

Greetings from Hammerwood. The house was one of those owned by the band in the 1970s through their companies Superhype Tapes and Woodhammer Nominees.

Recently I've been archiving reel to reel tapes and have been doing the reverse, buying tape on which to archive digital material.

Last week I bought two R2R tapes, one of which has a concert recorded in 1973 and rebroadcast in 1980, and another, better quality recorded at 7 1/2 ips, of the 1980 broadcast mentioning a 1971 recording date. I will be transcribing both and putting on YouTube.

Whilst writing, around 20 - 25 years ago I went to a car-boot sale at Lingfield where someone was selling CDs. I bought two - one of a New York Times Square concert and the other, fascinating, a bootleg of a session in India, probably Bombay, and possibly with Ravi Shankar. Sadly my irresponsible son . . . lost both. Are these recordings known and might I be able to buy a copy? Both were rather golden.

By nature I'm a classical musician and piano tuner - for the past dozen and more years tuning pianos to a different scale than usual - and have found the commercial disks unattractive. But live in concert recordings are musical and magical.

Edit - the CD I had and is lost had the track which introduces:

So the CD would not have been unique and the source tape must still be somewhere . . . It's glorious if anyone can find it!

Best wishes

David Pinnegar

David, how wonderful it is to see that you have visited the forum. I doubt you will recall I visited with you at Hammerwood on Saturday, July 25, 1998.  I brought along some of the director's outtake photos from The Song Remains The Same. This lead to a detailed discussion with you of Peter Grant & Jimmy Page's purchase and original intentions for Hammerwood, as well as the scenes in the film that were done there. My visit concluded with a personal, guided tour of the home by yourself, for which I am forever grateful. The next evening I shared with Jimmy at his home some of what you had told me and explained that remarkable progress had been made with regard to the extensive renovations of Hammerwood. Jimmy was impressed that I had taken it upon myself to visit Hammerwood and that so much progress had been made by yourself on it's restoration.

4 hours ago, Hammerwood Park said:

Thanks

I think there was even a Bombay version of Stairway. Doing a bit of homework the Coda issue was only of two tracks 😞

If anyone has the complete recording the versions were particularly refreshing and I'd love a copy

Best wishes

David P

EMI Studios  Pherozeshah Mehta Road

Edited by SteveAJones

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

EMI Studios  Pherozeshah Mehta Road

I am absolutely envious, and amazed at the story above. Well the story above what I am quoting. That’s seriously amazing Steve. Good for you that you had such close contact and to have been involved on any level with the greatest band ever. This may not be the place for this question Steve. But how did you get so deeply immersed into Led Zeppelin, and to have had the experiences you have had over the years. I’ve followed this website and Forum for many years, and I can’t say that I’ve ever read your story on how that began. If that is for another thread I apologize, I’m just really interested in your specific story with the band and how you became as knowledgeable, and how you became as dedicated as you are obviously are.

Thanks Steve. 

1 hour ago, Plant77 said:

I am absolutely envious, and amazed at the story above. Well the story above what I am quoting. That’s seriously amazing Steve. Good for you that you had such close contact and to have been involved on any level with the greatest band ever. This may not be the place for this question Steve. But how did you get so deeply immersed into Led Zeppelin, and to have had the experiences you have had over the years. I’ve followed this website and Forum for many years, and I can’t say that I’ve ever read your story on how that began. If that is for another thread I apologize, I’m just really interested in your specific story with the band and how you became as knowledgeable, and how you became as dedicated as you are obviously are.

Thanks Steve. 

I'm an intensely private person so I seldom discuss myself unless it relates in some way. People draw their own conclusions anyway regardless of what I share. Really I just want to say hats off to David for all that he has done and continues to do at Hammerwood. He's a remarkable person.

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm an intensely private person so I seldom discuss myself unless it relates in some way. People draw their own conclusions anyway regardless of what I share. Really I just want to say hats off to David for all that he has done and continues to do at Hammerwood. He's a remarkable person.

Good enough Steve. And yes hats of to David for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...