Can't find anything about this on here - no chance of any new live releases acccording to Jimmy!

Jukkin

12 hours ago, rm2551 said:

There are some really good boots out there well worth a listen. Some in a quality good enough that they are practically "official release" level.

If you haven't listened to any as you don't have any but would like to sample some, reach out, I'll send some.

Many, many years ago in the CD age I used to buy CD bootlegs at local record stores but got burned once too many times on subpar releases and high prices.  Since they can be downloaded for free I probably should jump back in but don't know where to start.  

1 hour ago, mrlowry said:

Many, many years ago in the CD age I used to buy CD bootlegs at local record stores but got burned once too many times on subpar releases and high prices.  Since they can be downloaded for free I probably should jump back in but don't know where to start.  

Simple. Choose any show you wish and google search the city and date then filter to long videos i.e. 20 mins or longer. You can use the argenteumastrum database as a guide for what's available. http://argenteumastrum.com/ Click Tour Dates. It's a comprehensive goldmine of information.

Welcome back to our world of lunacy!

3 hours ago, mrlowry said:

Just YouTube those baby's! Pretty much all Zep boots are available on YouTube now and you can listen for free...Bonus! No need to buy. I have not bought a boot in years as I just YouTube it and feed it to the stereo. Anything by LedZepBoots is almost guaranteed to be good and there are other sources as well on YT. An example of a middling quality would be Copenhagen 71' (and I listen to this all the time because the quality is good enough and the performance is stellar) and a good quality are most of the 75' - 77' boots. There are several boots from 72'-80' which are excellent quality and more and more come out which are official release quality. Anything by Mike Millard is pretty close to official release quality as are most of the hybrids (combo of audience & soundboard recordings). 

21 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Just YouTube those baby's! Pretty much all Zep boots are available on YouTube now and you can listen for free...Bonus! No need to buy. I have not bought a boot in years as I just YouTube it and feed it to the stereo. Anything by LedZepBoots is almost guaranteed to be good and there are other sources as well on YT. An example of a middling quality would be Copenhagen 71' (and I listen to this all the time because the quality is good enough and the performance is stellar) and a good quality are most of the 75' - 77' boots. There are several boots from 72'-80' which are excellent quality and more and more come out which are official release quality. Anything by Mike Millard is pretty close to official release quality as are most of the hybrids (combo of audience & soundboard recordings). 

Agreed. That's what I do as well regarding YT.

On 4/6/2022 at 4:44 PM, BobDobbs said:

I have a lot of high quality Zep bootlegs and they can be absolutely taxing to listen to with an audiophile quality set up. I dream of official releases that are properly mixed by professional engineers. 

On 4/9/2022 at 7:27 PM, Eyekhan said:

I have a lot of high quality Zep bootlegs and they can be absolutely taxing to listen to with an audiophile quality set up. I dream of official releases that are properly mixed by professional engineers. 

# Me Too!

Why would Plant care one way or another about this sort of thing?  It's Page's project, and at any rate if Page really wanted to get some stuff out he wouldn't defer to Plant (and certainly not Jones) at this stage.  This all sounds like rationalization/excuse making on Page's part.  He doesn't want to put in the effort it would require, so he's making vague statements about band agreement.

On 4/11/2022 at 6:04 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Why would Plant care one way or another about this sort of thing?  It's Page's project, and at any rate if Page really wanted to get some stuff out he wouldn't defer to Plant (and certainly not Jones) at this stage.  This all sounds like rationalization/excuse making on Page's part.  He doesn't want to put in the effort it would require, so he's making vague statements about band agreement.

Every member of the band has to sign off on a project for it to come to fruition. It has been that way for years. The band still meets semi-regularly to discuss projects and Zeppelin business where I’m sure all manner of releases are discussed and agreed upon with a consensus. As for Page making an excuse? He’s led every reissue/remaster project since the demise of the band. He has long wanted to release more live material. He is not the problem here.

8 hours ago, Eyekhan said:

Every member of the band has to sign off on a project for it to come to fruition. It has been that way for years. The band still meets semi-regularly to discuss projects and Zeppelin business where I’m sure all manner of releases are discussed and agreed upon with a consensus. As for Page making an excuse? He’s led every reissue/remaster project since the demise of the band. He has long wanted to release more live material. He is not the problem here.

Sure, but if Page said he wants to put out some Japan '71 or Earl's Court as an official release, what possible reason could Plant (assuming Jones isn't the problem here) have to veto it?  Not like we're talking about a documentary about the band's excesses and debaucheries (which seems to be Plant's main source of embarrassment over the period.)  Page's effort on the remasters 8 years ago wasn't exactly thorough, to be quite honest.  (Not to express any kind of ingratitude over what we got, some of it was certainly great, but a lot of it seemed indistinguishable from the original material.)  I think Page simply doesn't want to put in the work here, given what he perceives to be modest reward/return.

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Sure, but if Page said he wants to put out some Japan '71 or Earl's Court as an official release, what possible reason could Plant (assuming Jones isn't the problem here) have to veto it?  Not like we're talking about a documentary about the band's excesses and debaucheries (which seems to be Plant's main source of embarrassment over the period.)  Page's effort on the remasters 8 years ago wasn't exactly thorough, to be quite honest.  (Not to express any kind of ingratitude over what we got, some of it was certainly great, but a lot of it seemed indistinguishable from the original material.)  I think Page simply doesn't want to put in the work here, given what he perceives to be modest reward/return.

I'm really mystified by the lack of a full length Earl's Court release. There seem to be enough multi-tracks from the series of shows for Jimmy to put together the best stuff from them like he did on HTWWW. This was one of the things I was hoping would come out during the 50th anniversary. Maybe we'll get it in 2025 on the 50th anniversary of the EC shows, although I'm not holding my breath.

17 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Not trying to argue, but this is nonsense. We have it on two accounts now that one member of the group doesn’t want this to happen. It’s pretty clear to anyone paying attention over the past 30+ years that the culprit is likely Plant. Page relishes the impact Zeppelin has made and it has been his life’s work since his semi-retirement to preserve the legacy of the band for future generations. It isn’t Page holding this up.

I don’t know why Plant does what he does, but I assume he doesn’t want a release to interfere with his solo career. That, or he simply doesn’t want less than perfect material out there. Or it’s a petty grudge which these guys tend to get into from time to time. 

15 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I'm really mystified by the lack of a full length Earl's Court release. There seem to be enough multi-tracks from the series of shows for Jimmy to put together the best stuff from them like he did on HTWWW. This was one of the things I was hoping would come out during the 50th anniversary. Maybe we'll get it in 2025 on the 50th anniversary of the EC shows, although I'm not holding my breath.

The recent Page quotes suggest this isn’t going to happen. Maybe when the estates get their hands on the archives after these guys pass on. 

On 4/18/2022 at 12:42 AM, Eyekhan said:

Not trying to argue, but this is nonsense. We have it on two accounts now that one member of the group doesn’t want this to happen. It’s pretty clear to anyone paying attention over the past 30+ years that the culprit is likely Plant. Page relishes the impact Zeppelin has made and it has been his life’s work since his semi-retirement to preserve the legacy of the band for future generations. It isn’t Page holding this up.

I don’t know why Plant does what he does, but I assume he doesn’t want a release to interfere with his solo career. That, or he simply doesn’t want less than perfect material out there. Or it’s a petty grudge which these guys tend to get into from time to time. 

What two accounts?  One of which is presumably Page, who's not a disinterested party here.

9 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

What two accounts?  One of which is presumably Page, who's not a disinterested party here.

Sounds like Eyekhan is referring to Page's recent comments in the Uncut Magazine interview here: https://ledzepnews.com/2022/03/15/led-zeppelin-isnt-releasing-live-recordings-because-the-band-members-cant-agree-about-them/

And also Ross Halfin's comments made during an episode of The Vinyl Guide podcast last year: https://ledzepnews.com/2021/08/15/led-zeppelin-have-the-tapes-ross-halfin-explained-led-zeppelins-archive-of-live-shows/

It doesn't help that every article introduces him as "Robert Plant - Lead singer with the 70's group Led Zeppelin" It would be more relevant if it said "Robert Plant - Country and Western singer and avid Wolves fan" ;)

Edited by chillumpuffer

14 hours ago, Cookie0024 said:

Sounds like Eyekhan is referring to Page's recent comments in the Uncut Magazine interview here: https://ledzepnews.com/2022/03/15/led-zeppelin-isnt-releasing-live-recordings-because-the-band-members-cant-agree-about-them/

And also Ross Halfin's comments made during an episode of The Vinyl Guide podcast last year: https://ledzepnews.com/2021/08/15/led-zeppelin-have-the-tapes-ross-halfin-explained-led-zeppelins-archive-of-live-shows/

Right, so one source is Page himself, not exactly a disinterested party here.  Halfin's comments do support the notion that Plant doesn't want new Zep releases to distract from his solo work.  But he also acknowledges that there is some holdup due to Page himself.  

9 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Right, so one source is Page himself, not exactly a disinterested party here.  Halfin's comments do support the notion that Plant doesn't want new Zep releases to distract from his solo work.  But he also acknowledges that there is some holdup due to Page himself.  

I'd also caution that Halfin's comments are likely to be just what he was told by Page, so he's not exactly independent.

On 4/20/2022 at 4:32 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

What does Page or Halfin have to gain by lying about this? Seriously. Plant has long been the member of the band seemingly disinterested with Zeppelin material being released. His comments regarding the remasters, his efforts to edit out classic material from SRTS, his 30+ years of recorded interviews where he distances himself from Zeppelin, and his refusal to mini-tour after the O2 are just a few things off the top of my head. I just don’t think he wants to talk about Zeppelin in every interview instead of his new projects, especially in the midst of a new tour.

16 hours ago, Eyekhan said:

What does Page or Halfin have to gain by lying about this? Seriously. Plant has long been the member of the band seemingly disinterested with Zeppelin material being released. His comments regarding the remasters, his efforts to edit out classic material from SRTS, his 30+ years of recorded interviews where he distances himself from Zeppelin, and his refusal to mini-tour after the O2 are just a few things off the top of my head. I just don’t think he wants to talk about Zeppelin in every interview instead of his new projects, especially in the midst of a new tour.

Well, as you say, Plant is *disinterested*, i.e. he really doesn't care one way or the other, but apart from getting annoyed when people ask him about Zeppelin instead of his recent material, it's nothing that he really has to worry about.  So again, I can't see why he would veto Page doing anything (not like he has an active solo career like in the 80's to interfere with).  Don't know about Halfin, but I would think Page's motivation is obvious:  he wants to keep interest in Zep going, so he puts out periodic teasers (he's always working on something it seems, just never finishes), but for whatever reason (laziness, lack of spark or financial incentives, who knows) he can't or won't deliver.  So he's making excuses, essentially.  

On 4/25/2022 at 5:16 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Well, as you say, Plant is *disinterested*, i.e. he really doesn't care one way or the other, but apart from getting annoyed when people ask him about Zeppelin instead of his recent material, it's nothing that he really has to worry about.  So again, I can't see why he would veto Page doing anything (not like he has an active solo career like in the 80's to interfere with).  Don't know about Halfin, but I would think Page's motivation is obvious:  he wants to keep interest in Zep going, so he puts out periodic teasers (he's always working on something it seems, just never finishes), but for whatever reason (laziness, lack of spark or financial incentives, who knows) he can't or won't deliver.  So he's making excuses, essentially.  

What? The guy has remastered the entire Zeppelin catalog + studio outtakes, led the charge on 3 massive photo books, managed the release of a record store day 45, remastered and rereleased a Yardbirds live album, remastered and rereleased a Chris Farlowe album, produced a spoken word album with Scarlett,  and contributed to a huge documentary effort in the last handful of years. What are you even talking about? As I stated earlier, Zeppelin requires the sign off from all the surviving members to release material. Page has been forthright in wanting to release new live material since the mid to late 70’s (live compilation album he envisioned). Somebody besides him is holding this up. 

Edited by Eyekhan

57 minutes ago, Eyekhan said:

What? The guy has remastered the entire Zeppelin catalog + studio outtakes, led the charge on 3 massive photo books, managed the release of a record store day 45, remastered and rereleased a Yardbirds live album, remastered and rereleased a Chris Farlowe album, produced a spoken word album with Scarlett,  and contributed to a huge documentary effort in the last handful of years. What are you even talking about? As I stated earlier, Zeppelin requires the sign off from all the surviving members to release material. Page has been forthright in wanting to release new live material since the mid to late 70’s (live compilation album he envisioned). Somebody besides him is holding this up. 

I don't want to sound like an ingrate, but the remasters were a mixed bag.  There was great stuff there (from Presence), but also stuff we've already heard before (Physical Graffiti) and a lot of things that were hard to distinguish from the original versions (IV).  And yes, that's the point:  he's been talking about releasing live stuff for a very long time, and still there's not much that's been done.  But ultimately it's process of elimination to me.  I just can't see a real reason why Plant or Jones would be holding things back, so the only logical choice is simply Page.

36 minutes ago, custard pie man said:

money! I thought it was revealed in the  early 80's plant gave away his royalty rights because he didn't seem to think Zep would continue selling millions? am I wrong on this? if this is true then money or a lack there of is motivation to saying no

I believe Bill Curbishly got both Jimmy and Robert the rights to their songs back.

I think it has to do more with an individual within the band not wanting to hear their performance (warts and all or even an edited version). Perhaps,  the footage previously released and the upcoming documentary will be the only official released live footage while the three surviving members are still living  (TSRTS, Led Zeppelin DVD, Celebration Day). We’ll see.

R😎

I thought it was common knowledge that Robert had actually vetoed Jimmy's plan for a chronological live album in the past.
Jimmy in Guitar World, 1993:
'We also have live tapes going back to 1970, that go all the way through Knebworth in 1979. But I do not think Robert is very keen on it coming
out. In fact, right after we had lost Bonzo I wanted to do a chronological live album, because I knew how good his drumming was and I thought it would be a great tribute... But Robert has never been keen on doing it. You can not very well do it if someone is vetoing the bloody thing. It is a lot of work to go through all these tapes, and I am not going to do it if he is going to stop it.'
Robert obviously subsequently got on board for DVD and HTWWW, but I suspect that 'I am not going to do it if he is going to stop it' is still the key issue.