Heart’s Ann Wilson Made a Bid to Audition for Led Zeppelin in Late 2000s

zeplz71

yeah, no.

Heart’s Ann Wilson Made a Bid to Audition for Led Zeppelin in Late 2000s

Published: March 18, 2022

Led Zeppelin's influence on Heart has never been secretive and singer Ann Wilson once decided to take a shot at a full circle moment with a bid to become the singer for a project involving Led Zep members Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones in the late 2000s.

After one reunion performance in London in 2007, both Page and Jones had intentions on finding a means of continuing with live performances and, perhaps, even new music, but singer Robert Plant had other intentions. Namely, he wanted to continue to develop and promote his solo career rather than head down a new path with his former bandmates.

Zeppelin held auditions for potential singers, but most of these details have been kept quiet over the years, other than Alter Bridge's Myles Kennedy and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler previously confirming they rehearsed with the group, which also included drummer Jason Bonham, son of late Led Zep legend John Bonham.

Speaking with Planet Rock's Liz Barnes, Wilson revealed that she "threw [her] hat in the ring" when she learned that the Led Zeppelin members were holding singer auditions.

"Yeah, it's such a boy's club," said Wilson while touching on the Zeppelin song "The Battle of Evermore," which featured singer Sandy Denny.

"Zeppelin always was a boy's club," she continued, "I know that because there was a minute when the rumor was that they were auditioning singers and I just threw my hat in the ring. I went, 'I'm here!’ and it was crickets."

Barnes suggested that the band should have extended the invite for her to try out a few songs in rehearsal, to which Wilson replied, "Who knows what went on there? But, anyway, who would want to hire somebody that could sing just like Plant? I don't think that's what they were into, you know? I don't think they want it to be a caricature of Led Zeppelin."

Returning her attention to "The Battle of Evermore," off Led Zeppelin IV, Wilson enthused, “I think my favorite Led Zeppelin persona is the acoustic but rock - rock with acoustic at its heart. 'The Battle of Evermore' is kind of Druid! It's got this this crazy sort of ancient Celtic feel to it but it's entirely modern for its time. It’s timeless, really. You just picture these cave dwellers dancing around a fire a thousand years ago but it's (Robert) Plant and it’s Sandy Denny."

The Heart vocalist had once tackled the song in her other band The Lovemongers for the Singles soundtrack.

https://loudwire.com/heart-ann-wilson-tried-audition-led-zeppelin-late-2000s

On 3/20/2022 at 6:47 PM, SteveAJones said:

More gender politics bullshit from Ann Wilson and a female journalist. The only thing more absurd than this suggestion that she audition are those who did audition.  

are you  saying there was no auditions at the time? thought  couple years back Jones said something to the effect " it was to be a page solo project" and Page wasn't ready for singers  and dropped the whole deal?

23 hours ago, custard pie man said:

are you  saying there was no auditions at the time? thought  couple years back Jones said something to the effect " it was to be a page solo project" and Page wasn't ready for singers  and dropped the whole deal?

No, you misunderstand Mr. Jones intent. He was simply being his misogynistic, get off my lawn self. You know, kinda like a really old and decrepit Tucker Carlson. 

On 3/23/2022 at 5:26 AM, custard pie man said:

are you saying there was no auditions at the time? thought couple years back Jones said something to the effect " it was to be a page solo project" and Page wasn't ready for singers and dropped the whole deal?

Various singers were brought in and did "audition". It wasn't a Page solo project it was Jimmy, Jonesy & Jason attempting to put something convincing together without Robert Plant. 

On 3/24/2022 at 5:14 AM, BobDobbs said:

No, you misunderstand Mr. Jones intent. He was simply being his misogynistic, get off my lawn self. You know, kinda like a really old and decrepit Tucker Carlson. 

No, you misunderstand me. My exasperation with Ann Wilson isn't so much that she plays the gender card, it's that it doesn't dawn on her they sought more than an accomplished singer. They were seeking someone that would be a good fit musically and AESTHETICALLY. How does Ann Wilson fronting Led Zeppelin not become anything but Ann Wilson's Led Zeppelin Experience? That said, it could be possible to have a female vocalist, in my opinion, but I would suggest one much more attractive (for starters) and virtually unknown.     

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Various singers were brought in and did "audition". It wasn't a Page solo project it was Jimmy, Jonesy & Jason attempting to put something convincing together without Robert Plant. 

No, you misunderstand me. My exasperation with Ann Wilson isn't so much that she plays the gender card, it's that it doesn't dawn on her they sought more than an accomplished singer. They were seeking someone that would be a good fit musically and AESTHETICALLY. How does Ann Wilson fronting Led Zeppelin not become anything but Ann Wilson's Led Zeppelin Experience? That said, it could be possible to have a female vocalist, in my opinion, but I would suggest one much more attractive (for starters) and virtually unknown.     

I call you a misogynist, you say "no, you misunderstand me" and then go on to state Ann Wilson is not "attractive.: Would you say that about a male vocalist? 

Ann Wilson is not nor did not play the gender card, but like the decrepit fossil you are, so used to your white, straight, male privilege you cannot see the forest for the trees.