An Honest Look at My Top 10 Zeppelin Tunes...

By 1980, the band was going into the new decade with new direction and decided to give some of their signature tunes a rest. This happened to be one of the songs they decided not to play on their European Tour in 1980. Although the tour was a high grossing affair, in more nights than not, the magic that had once been there during their live performances seemed a bit off and its almost hard to imagine Led Zeppelin as a bewildered live act, but they were. The musicianship between them wasn't as tight as it once had been. Granted, they hadn't seriously toured in three years, but it seemed as if something was off. Almost as if the band itself, without its signature tune, had become dazed and confused.

I saw them in Brussels in 1980 and they weren't bewildered or dazed & confused. I was also at the first Knebworth gig the year before and in many ways they were tighter in 1980, although Knebworth was the greater spectacle.

Lean & mean is how I'd describe them in 1980. It was a set shorn of most of the extended instumental passages but none the worse for that. Like the O2 in that respect I guess.

I saw them in Brussels in 1980 and they weren't bewildered or dazed & confused. I was also at the first Knebworth gig the year before and in many ways they were tighter in 1980, although Knebworth was the greater spectacle.

Lean & mean is how I'd describe them in 1980. It was a set shorn of most of the extended instumental passages but none the worse for that. Like the O2 in that respect I guess.

Hence the "More nights than not" term. There were some good moments on the 1980 Tour, Brussels being one of them. When they were 'on', they were still the greatest band in the world.

Editor's Note: A reminder to readers; The List I posted isn't my personal 10 favorites, just what I feel is the band's Top 10. It's nice to see such warm feedback from a few of you and lists from everyone. Though having everyone name their own wasn't my intention, I'm glad to see this thread has given people the chance to post their own favorites-something I should do myself.

• 3 weeks later...

1.Stairway To Heaven

This song is frankly perfect.,the slow accoustic section always makes me wonder,the recorders add atmosphere,and it becomes perfect when the drums come in,and the solo,dear god the solo!It builds up from nothing to become insane,the TSRTS version deserves respect,even if you hate it.

2.Achilles Last Stand

What can i say?This just sends shivers up my spine,the solo feels like Jimmy is actually reaching for the heavens with his bends,and that part with the 12 or so overdubbed guitar break where Bonzo is pounding his kit to a pulp is simply orhasmic.

3.Kashmir

Epic,i see vivid images listening to this song,i never listen without a bottle of water handy,either that or play Levee,that one makes me need to pee.

Houses of the Holy- slow orgasm

Black Dog- quick one

Hey, Hey, What Can I Do- fuck yeah, sing about it boys

Nobody's Fault but Mine- I know, it sucks

When the Leeve Breaks- mama you got to move

How Many More Times- you tell me!

That's the Way :'(

Immigrant Song- Vikings rock!

Since I've Been Loving You- :'(

Communication Breakdown- that break when it's only Robert yelling and then, POP! Awesome.

It's really hard to come up with just 10, and my 10 this week may change next week.

Overall, and not in order:

1. You Shook Me

2. The Lemon Song

3. Since I've Been Loving You

4. Four Sticks

5. The Rain Song

6. The Rover

7. Kashmir

8. Achilles Last Stand

9. Hots on for Nowhere

10. I'm Gonna Crawl

Interesting thoughts in regards to -when the levee breaks, with the perspective of music at the time and the music industry, the critical hammering of led zep 3. when the levee breaks would be in my top five, such a huge song and it probably makes led zep 4 the most complete album. It couldnt have been the same album without that song. Even if they had something heavy like how many more times, or dazed as a final song, wouldnt be as special as -levee and ofcourse wouldnt have fit the album like levee did. The combination of the riff, the drum beat, the vocals with the effects and ambient sound creates a trance like effect. Such a cool song, couldve been a fourteen minute version if it was released on cd today.

• 1 month later...
no one mentioned The Lemon Song, I could listen to JPJ and Bonham in the middle section to infinity

I was going to say the same thing :D

I am going to put up my list later and you better believe that The Lemon Song will be in it...

My List (and reasons why)

1. Stairway To Heaven (first song I ever learned from begining to end on guitar)

2. No Quarter (The way the Pagey punches you in the face with the main riff)

3. Over The Hills And Far Away (Amazing acoustic riff then straight into dynamite. Doesnt get enough credit.)

4. Immigrant Song (Its just so fun to just yell AhahaaaaaAH!!!!)

5. Rock And Roll (Melts my face everytime I hear it. In TSRTS Jimmy pulls of one of the coolest stage moves Ive ever seen before he rips into the solo.)

6. Dazed And Confused (The hammer of the Gods is a violin bow)

7. Going To California (Paints a picture of my life)

8. The Rain Song (Such an amazing guitar sound.)

9. Kasmir (Larger than life.)

10. Babe Im Gonna Leave You/ Since Ive Been Loving You (sweet celebratoin of the guitar, Robert's vocals are amazing)

That's a VERY good analysis! I agree with everything you said.

I've never thought about anything other than my #1 Zeppelin track, but I'll give it a go:

1. Dazed and Confused

2. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

3. Since I've Been Loving You

4. How Many More Times

5. Kashmir

6. Stairway to Heaven

7. Achilles Last Stand

8. Traveling Riverside Blues

9. Going to California

10. I Can't Quit You Baby

11. White Summer

12. That's the Way