Page refused to play on new "Ozzy Osbourne" album, says Chad Smith

the-ocean87

According to this interview, they tried to get Jimmy play on the new Ozzy Osbourne album. Other players appaearing on the album are Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new-ozzy-osbourne-album-to-feature-pearl-jams-mike-mccready-queens-of-the-stone-ages-josh-homme/

Chad went on to say that "the English royalty of guitar players" has been recruited to guest on Osbourne's new album. "Tony Iommi and Ozzy have never collaborated outside of BLACK SABBATH," he said. "Tony sent us a bunch of riffs and we took what we thought was the best of 'em, which was fucking great. So Andy's on the bass doing fucking great — the bass on the song is amazing. And Tony sent us the riffs — files; he's in England — and we played to it. It's fucking got everything. It's got all the stuff that you would want. Ozzy loves it. And so he's on that track. Then Eric Clapton plays a fucking wah-wah CREAM-type solo. We're, like, 'Eric, can you solo on this song? Wah-wah, please. Eric, what do you think about this, with the wah-wah?' Because that's his fucking thing. And so he's soloing all over this other track. Then Jeff Beck is on two songs. We tried to get Jimmy Page [LED ZEPPELIN], we tried to get the holy trinity, but I don't think Page plays anymore too much, unfortunately. But Mike McCready's [PEARL JAM] on a track. Josh Homme, my neighbor from QUEENS [OF THE STONE AGE], solos on a track. And then Zakk Wylde [BLACK LABEL SOCIETY] is on the record as well, all over it. So it's like if you're a guitar player, [it's] pretty fucking good."

I guess this confirms what we discussed here for a long time. Page is not in any form to play anything substantial on the guitar anymore. Sad.

Well not that it wouldnt be GREAT if we could get ANYTHING new from jimmy , 

in any shape or form , im kinda glad he didnt do it on an Ozzy album!  Dont get me wrong the 1st 2 ozzy solo albums have some of the best songs ever but Ozzy didnt have much to do with their creation! Bob Daisily wrote most of the words.

Now id support Jimmy playing on a Bob  Daisily project. LETS just keep Jimmy outa the plastic scene ,  genuine leather the real thing !

27 minutes ago, z1inspector said:

Well not that it wouldnt be GREAT if we could get ANYTHING new from jimmy , 

in any shape or form , im kinda glad he didnt do it on an Ozzy album!  Dont get me wrong the 1st 2 ozzy solo albums have some of the best songs ever but Ozzy didnt have much to do with their creation! Bob Daisily wrote most of the words.

Now id support Jimmy playing on a Bob  Daisily project. LETS just keep Jimmy outa the plastic scene ,  genuine leather the real thing !

It would have been great for Jimmy to guest on that album, especially with all the other greats. Ozzy is a legend and It wouldn't hurt Jimmy one bit to be on one of his records.  Would have to have been better than that crap he did with puff daddy.

14 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

According to this interview, they tried to get Jimmy play on the new Ozzy Osbourne album. Other players appaearing on the album are Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new-ozzy-osbourne-album-to-feature-pearl-jams-mike-mccready-queens-of-the-stone-ages-josh-homme/

Chad went on to say that "the English royalty of guitar players" has been recruited to guest on Osbourne's new album. "Tony Iommi and Ozzy have never collaborated outside of BLACK SABBATH," he said. "Tony sent us a bunch of riffs and we took what we thought was the best of 'em, which was fucking great. So Andy's on the bass doing fucking great — the bass on the song is amazing. And Tony sent us the riffs — files; he's in England — and we played to it. It's fucking got everything. It's got all the stuff that you would want. Ozzy loves it. And so he's on that track. Then Eric Clapton plays a fucking wah-wah CREAM-type solo. We're, like, 'Eric, can you solo on this song? Wah-wah, please. Eric, what do you think about this, with the wah-wah?' Because that's his fucking thing. And so he's soloing all over this other track. Then Jeff Beck is on two songs. We tried to get Jimmy Page [LED ZEPPELIN], we tried to get the holy trinity, but I don't think Page plays anymore too much, unfortunately. But Mike McCready's [PEARL JAM] on a track. Josh Homme, my neighbor from QUEENS [OF THE STONE AGE], solos on a track. And then Zakk Wylde [BLACK LABEL SOCIETY] is on the record as well, all over it. So it's like if you're a guitar player, [it's] pretty fucking good."

I guess this confirms what we discussed here for a long time. Page is not in any form to play anything substantial on the guitar anymore. Sad.

I was wondering if he had been asked to participate. If it is a case of that he cannot play that is sad. Going from being in my opinion the best to ever do it, to not being able too. Having said that, we are fortunate to have all of the music he did play, and produce over and with the best group/band in history. 

2 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

It would have been great for Jimmy to guest on that album, especially with all the other greats. Ozzy is a legend and It wouldn't hurt Jimmy one bit to be on one of his records.  Would have to have been better than that crap he did with puff daddy.

No doubt! & wouldn't it be great if Page realizes Angers so called curse on Jimmy (if it had any strength at all in the first place, doubt it) dissolved with Kenneth Anger when he died !

& Jimmy was free to exercise his creativity (likely was there all along anyway) & dug deep & pulled of a read whopper of a riff ! & whoever the writing team Ozborne  utilizes did a good job with the rest of the song

& it just smacked all the doubters & haters rite in the face ! 

OMG ! I would find that a wonderfull thing , a perfect wave for Jimmy to ride out  & enjoy at this point in his career! 

of all the Zep fans wants & wishes  a powerhouse of a  one last swan song he wouldnt be opposed to , if he found the rite riff then let several artists work in private & present their versions in secret & if it had enuf magic,  destroy the rest & publish the one with the

Hammer of the Gods! 

AMEN!! 

Anything is possible if we pray !

4 hours ago, JTM said:

Refused? bottled out more like. Maybe impaired ability due to health issues, arthritis ? Sad really JP was so good in his prime.

Yes, perhaps the best in his prime. I was just reading his 2020 interview in Rolling stone magazine. I think he still plays. He did give a short snippet of playing at the Play it Loud museum. Maybe he didn’t want to associate with that style, and that music. It was actually surprising that Clapton was on it really. When I read that 6 months ago or whatever it was, I remember thinking how odd it was that he participated, as well as Mr. Beck. But awesome for them. I have resigned myself to possibly never hearing him play again. I was lucky enough to get to see him 4 times. And of the 100’s of bootlegs I have, his 98 performances were some of the most inspired, and greatest playing of his career. He was on it. Just brilliant. Having said all of that, even though I’m not a huge fan of solo Ozzy, I appreciate him as a character, maybe even a treasure. It would have been cool to hear Jimmy on his album. We didn’t get that, I’m good with all that we have. Stacked up next to anyone else, I can’t think of anyone with a better body of work. For me there isn’t anyone who even comes close. Whether that is on albums, or live. Jimmy will always be the most creative, inventive, and studious player I’ve ever heard. When I hear people say he is sloppy it is laughable. He was a studio musician in perhaps the demanding time in history. He had to be more perfect and match fit. When he went out on his own, he took chances. And they were spectacular! Amazing!

On 4/2/2022 at 4:14 PM, Zep Hed said:

I'm inclined to use the word declined rather than refused. FWIW

Well

18 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Yes, perhaps the best in his prime. I was just reading his 2020 interview in Rolling stone magazine. I think he still plays. He did give a short snippet of playing at the Play it Loud museum. Maybe he didn’t want to associate with that style, and that music. It was actually surprising that Clapton was on it really. When I read that 6 months ago or whatever it was, I remember thinking how odd it was that he participated, as well as Mr. Beck. But awesome for them. I have resigned myself to possibly never hearing him play again. I was lucky enough to get to see him 4 times. And of the 100’s of bootlegs I have, his 98 performances were some of the most inspired, and greatest playing of his career. He was on it. Just brilliant. Having said all of that, even though I’m not a huge fan of solo Ozzy, I appreciate him as a character, maybe even a treasure. It would have been cool to hear Jimmy on his album. We didn’t get that, I’m good with all that we have. Stacked up next to anyone else, I can’t think of anyone with a better body of work. For me there isn’t anyone who even comes close. Whether that is on albums, or live. Jimmy will always be the most creative, inventive, and studious player I’ve ever heard. When I hear people say he is sloppy it is laughable. He was a studio musician in perhaps the demanding time in history. He had to be more perfect and match fit. When he went out on his own, he took chances. And they were spectacular! Amazing!

Well put! 👍🏼

1 hour ago, in_the_evening said:

He is probably way too busy working on that solo album of his to help with Ozzy's project.  You know, the one he's been working on for 30 years, "very different from what people expect" and all that stuff....

Funny enough that is why I think Jimmy can still play. Aside from him stating that he still creates and had been creating under quarantine. He has been telling us that he will have an album for about 15-17 years or so. But if it were a case of not being able to play anymore, I think we would have heard it through some channels. Also, if it were a case of not being able to play, why continue to say you are working on something. It would be strange to me for a man of his stature, and reputation to lie about his ability. 

Maybe that is just me hoping the man can still do something that he devoted his entire life to. If it is a case of truly not being able to physically do it anymore, that would be very sad. 

Either way, I hope we get that unexpected, very different album of his. 

1 minute ago, Stryder1978 said:

The phrase "working on something" could easily mean being in the studio working on tracks already recorded 10-30 years ago.

Yes it could certainly mean that. But in several articles, as well as interviews he has said many times that he still creates and comes up with material. I’m completely content with all that Jimmy has provided us with. However if he has something left to say that would be amazing as well. I wouldn’t care if it was older material, or something new. 

Have a great day Stryder. 

I'd be content if I somehow I learned that Jimmy had lost the desire to play or even lost ability to play. He's already proved what he could do with his guitar over his active career as far as I'm concerned. I agree that some of his best playing was done post Zeppelin. I also consider that his ability to continue to excel on guitar went hand in hand with Robert Plant. 

The two were like “bookends” in a way; even though they went their separate ways for awhile. When they would re-unite, it seemed to be that chemistry that inspired each other and inspired many of their fans to their buy concert tickets we’ll into 1990's.

Edited by ADK-Zeppy

2 hours ago, ADK-Zeppy said:

I'd be content if I somehow I learned that Jimmy had lost the desire to play or even lost ability to play. He's already proved what he could do with his guitar over his active career as far as I'm concerned. I agree that some of his best playing was done post Zeppelin. I also consider that his ability to continue to excel on guitar went hand in hand with Robert Plant. 

The two were like “bookends” in a way; even though they went their separate ways for awhile. When they would re-unite, it seemed to be that chemistry that inspired each other and inspired many of their fans to their buy concert tickets we’ll into 1990's.

I agree with all of this. Great post. 

Could it be the Jimmy just has other interests? Good for him. There’s a difference between playing around the house and being match fit to appear on an album. He’s already climbed the mountain, playing on an album with a completely washed Ozzy and a completely insane Clapton is beneath him. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jsj said:

It turns out that Jimmy claims he’s too busy working on his own stuff. I think we may be back to his “I want to be seen to be playing, hopefully next year” comments

Some outlets are making the claim that Jimmy Page has explained why he refused to play on Ozzy Osbourne's new album, but this isn't true.

NME, for example, wrote a story with the headline: "Jimmy Page says he refused to appear on Ozzy Osbourne’s new album".

To be clear, Page has said nothing of the sort. Instead, he was asked by Classic Rock Magazine in its 300th issue what he's been up to for the past few years and that's where he made the comments about potential new solo projects.

NME's claim that "the Led Zeppelin legend has now explained that he refused to appear on the album because he was too busy working on his own projects" is misleading and incorrect. We don't know if Page was ever actually asked to appear on the album outright.

On 4/6/2022 at 3:26 AM, Eyekhan said:

Could it be the Jimmy just has other interests? Good for him. There’s a difference between playing around the house and being match fit to appear on an album. He’s already climbed the mountain, playing on an album with a completely washed Ozzy and a completely insane Clapton is beneath him. 

why is Clapton insane? if its because he follows the science, realizes mask and vaccine  don't work and isn't afraid to speak his mind and or be cancelled by the woke mob I say Bravo to him! you want to wear a mask and take 5 extra boosters be my guest, your choice but don't call someone insane because he has a differing opinion and one actually based on science, now if you think he's insane for other reasons then please forgive this lengthy post

On 4/14/2022 at 2:54 PM, zeplz71 said:

Wondering if we're ever going to hear this new 'project'.

NOPE.  Unless it's more of that "spoken word" crap with Scarlett.   Although it is just about time to remaster the Zep catalog yet again.

Seriously, it is a shame.  He could have guested on the Ozzy LP, and what a crazy thing it would have been if Ozzy could have got all 3 on the same track!!  But alas, JP's days of new rock and roll are long gone.  Unless he surprises the hell out of me.