Page refused to play on new "Ozzy Osbourne" album, says Chad Smith

the-ocean87

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 4:16 AM, the-ocean87 said:

According to this interview, they tried to get Jimmy play on the new Ozzy Osbourne album. Other players appaearing on the album are Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new-ozzy-osbourne-album-to-feature-pearl-jams-mike-mccready-queens-of-the-stone-ages-josh-homme/

Chad went on to say that "the English royalty of guitar players" has been recruited to guest on Osbourne's new album. "Tony Iommi and Ozzy have never collaborated outside of BLACK SABBATH," he said. "Tony sent us a bunch of riffs and we took what we thought was the best of 'em, which was fucking great. So Andy's on the bass doing fucking great — the bass on the song is amazing. And Tony sent us the riffs — files; he's in England — and we played to it. It's fucking got everything. It's got all the stuff that you would want. Ozzy loves it. And so he's on that track. Then Eric Clapton plays a fucking wah-wah CREAM-type solo. We're, like, 'Eric, can you solo on this song? Wah-wah, please. Eric, what do you think about this, with the wah-wah?' Because that's his fucking thing. And so he's soloing all over this other track. Then Jeff Beck is on two songs. We tried to get Jimmy Page [LED ZEPPELIN], we tried to get the holy trinity, but I don't think Page plays anymore too much, unfortunately. But Mike McCready's [PEARL JAM] on a track. Josh Homme, my neighbor from QUEENS [OF THE STONE AGE], solos on a track. And then Zakk Wylde [BLACK LABEL SOCIETY] is on the record as well, all over it. So it's like if you're a guitar player, [it's] pretty fucking good."

I guess this confirms what we discussed here for a long time. Page is not in any form to play anything substantial on the guitar anymore. Sad.

Tony Iommi and Ozzy Osbourne did collaborate outside of Black Sabbath, on a track called "Who's Fooling Who". This was on Tony Iommi's 2000 solo album entitled "Iommi".. so Chad is wrong about that. 

.. and just because Chad "thinks Page doesn't play anymore much" .. well that confirms nothing..  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Guys, the simple reason I think Jimmy didn't want to play on the album and doesn't play much, in general, is that he's a very old man. Yes, Clapton and the rest are old too, but people age differently. Jimmy's almost 80. Anyone still hoping to see Jimmy go on tour soon is nuts. Time to let it go. My gut tells me he's not in the studio (lols), not recording at home, not getting his chops together (what for?) or anything like that. He seems to be adrift, just as he has been since the demise of Zeppelin in 1980. With a few exceptions, Jimmy hasn't really known what to do with his time. He's a bit eccentric, so he probably spends a crazy amount of time entertaining himself with oddities.

If he did put out some new material, it would probably be something like Walking into Clarksdale - only less exciting.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Page’s inability to tour or release new material comes from a combination of his old age and the crushing weight of Zeppelin’s legacy.

Paul McCartney can hardly sing at this point but it doesn’t stop the man from touring and having a good time. Jimmy though seems intimidated by his own legacy. The video he did for the MET shows he can still play, but perhaps not at the level of his prime. He’s afraid of sullying his legacy.

It’s the same reason all the Zeppelin live releases have been heavily overdubbed and the live footage from ‘75, ‘77 and ‘79 remains locked up. To present anything that could undermine the incredible legacy of himself and the band makes his skin crawl. 

I wish he could overcome it, I’m a younger man and never got the chance to see him. Maybe Kenneth wasn’t full of it…