Zeppelin and Grunge

ncdoc

I love Zeppelin, easily my favorite band. I became an adult (20's) in the 90s so loved the grunge coming out at that time. I am a big fan of the Foo Fighters and was listening to This is a Call. The drums sound low in the mix to me in such a drum song, though I think Hawkins is doing a great job. What would Bonham sound in a band like this? it could be such a drum masterpiece, Is it just the mix? Did Bonham hit that hard to bring him to the forefront? I think Zep ruined music for me because I can't stop Iistening so much for that drum sound. Sorry if this is bogus.

Greg

1 hour ago, ncdoc said:

I love Zeppelin, easily my favorite band. I became an adult (20's) in the 90s so loved the grunge coming out at that time. I am a big fan of the Foo Fighters and was listening to This is a Call. The drums sound low in the mix to me in such a drum song, though I think Hawkins is doing a great job. What would Bonham sound in a band like this? it could be such a drum masterpiece, Is it just the mix? Did Bonham hit that hard to bring him to the forefront? I think Zep ruined music for me because I can't stop Iistening so much for that drum sound. Sorry if this is bogus.

Greg

Not bogus, One of the reasons Bonham is considered to be one of the best is the fact that he could hit the drums so hard, but it's more than that, His personality came through in his playing and it had great affect on his performances. His innate musical talent and chops along with personality make him the best rock and roll drummer in history.  IMHO, although he played on other albums with different musicians I feel that if Bonham were in any of these modern day bands that it wouldn't really work because he is too powerful and his sound is so huge. It took Jimmy Page to produce him properly. I think his drumming is right where it belongs.

I love that response. I was wondering if he would be too much for today.  So strong. I just imagine so many songs could be incredible with better drums. Always wondered if it was the mix or Bonham. I know he was incredible. So sorry we lost him way too early.

3 hours ago, ncdoc said:

I love that response. I was wondering if he would be too much for today.  So strong. I just imagine so many songs could be incredible with better drums. Always wondered if it was the mix or Bonham. I know he was incredible. So sorry we lost him way too early.

In my thoughts, in an alternate history where Bonzo lived, I could have seen him moving toward jazz drumming. I believe had Bonham lived Zep would have lasted maybe another year but most likely would have called it quits in 81' right after the final leg of the proposed NA tour. Robert was done, Bonzo was done. I think he would have taken time to be with his family then after a few years get back into the scene but not as a rock drummer, but rather a jazz drummer. He loved jazz, funk, and soul and I truly think this would have been the direction he would have gone, a hybrid of Neal Peart, Stuart Copeland, and Gene Krupa possibly. I also did not see Bonzo touring again but rather playing almost exclusively on record as a studio musician or in his own jazz / funk band, putzing around the midlands for a gig here and there. But touring, very unlikely, he loved his family and that is really where he wanted to be.

Taylor Hawkins did not join the Foo Fighters until 1997. That entire first album was all Dave Grohl and when I saw the first Foo Fighters shows at the Roxy and the American Legion hall in early 1995, William Goldsmith was the drummer for the Foo Fighters. Dave and William both did drums for the second album, "The Colour and the Shape" until a falling out with Goldsmith led to him leaving the band and Dave getting Taylor Hawkins to leave Alanis Morissette and join the Foo Fighters.

Thanks for that reply Strider. I should have researched that more since the song was published so long ago. My bad. Awesome knowledge, thank you for taking time to reply. I still thnk those drums were not recorded very well. Maybe being picky.

On 4/3/2022 at 1:46 PM, ncdoc said:

What would Bonham sound in a band like this? it could be such a drum masterpiece, Is it just the mix? Did Bonham hit that hard to bring him to the forefront? I think Zep ruined music for me because I can't stop Iistening so much for that drum sound.

I would speculate that if Bonzo was inspired and had the freedom to create, he would produce equivalent results regardless of the era, style, musicians or who produced him. I'm thinking Rick Rubin could make him sound pretty kick ass. I'll suggest that Bonzo was more important to Page as his muse and Framework for his Tangents, than Page was to Bonzo for how his drums were recorded. As great as the results be.

On 4/5/2022 at 5:13 PM, Badgeholder Still said:

I'll suggest that Bonzo was more important to Page as his muse and Framework for his Tangents, than Page was to Bonzo for how his drums were recorded. As great as the results be.

100% this.