A photo of my favorite band

JethroTull

Sorry about posting that gross photo of Ian in the Beautiful Men topic. Here is a photo of Jethro Tull, late 1971 or early 1972. Never a bunch of lookers, they were the anti-rock stars. No drugs, no arrests, no paternity suits. 5 English gentlemen.

tulls.jpg

Sorry about posting that gross photo of Ian in the Beautiful Men topic. Here is a photo of Jethro Tull, late 1971 or early 1972. Never a bunch of lookers, they were the anti-rock stars. No drugs, no arrests, no paternity suits. 5 English gentlemen.

I didn't see the "gross photo" (and I won't). While they are not my favorite band, I still love several of their songs and albums. Back in the day their concerts were great. Some very excellent music. Very 70's ambiance. Locomotive Breath. Aqualung. Thick as a Brick. Skating Away. I remember sitting in a middle school art class and the teacher was playing Jethro Tull music. Flash forward ten years and my husband and I are in a coffee house in Kathmandu and the proprietress was playing Jethro Tull music. Classic.

Can you recommend anything they've done that is less well-known that I might like?

I don't know what is less-known and what is more... but if you don't have Minstrel In The Gallery, get it.

My favorite of theirs, by far.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely get it. Honestly, I don't know what I meant by that either; I'm bouncing back and forth between several tasks and not focusing on any of them very well. Minstrel In The Gallery Thanks much.

tulls.jpg

Uh, I don't know about that. Ie found Ian attractive, in an odd sort of way, in his later years.

Now everyone don't all gag at once!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I didn't see the "gross photo" (and I won't). While they are not my favorite band, I still love several of their songs and albums. Back in the day their concerts were great. Some very excellent music. Very 70's ambiance. Locomotive Breath. Aqualung. Thick as a Brick. Skating Away. I remember sitting in a middle school art class and the teacher was playing Jethro Tull music. Flash forward ten years and my husband and I are in a coffee house in Kathmandu and the proprietress was playing Jethro Tull music. Classic.

Can you recommend anything they've done that is less well-known that I might like?

Here are my suggestions....

1. Benefit - 3rd LP released in 1970, harder rock that might appeal more to a Zeppelin fan. Get the remastered version with bonus tracks.

2. Stand Up - 2nd LP released in 1969. Bluesier with folk and rock influences. My second favorite Tull release. Get the remastered version with bonus tracks.

3. Thick As a Brick - 5th studio LP released in 1972 featuring the group pictured above. It's a 45 minute song, not the 5 minute version you hear on radio. Don't ask me what it's about. Tull's Montephythonesque sense of humor is apparent from the opening line, "I really don't mind if you sit this one out.". My #1 favorite Tull release. Try buying the deluxe version with the bonus live version, plus band interview and the full newpaper insert.

4. Song From the Woods - somebody mentioned this in thier top 3 1970 releases. This was released in 1977. It's been refered to as the greatest folk-rock album ever. Two of my favs are "Hunting Girl" and "Velvet Green", both featuring a lot of sexual innuendo. Get the remastered version with bonus tracks. I own the gold plated version which goes for big bucks on EBAY.

5. Living in the Past - a 2 LP compilation (boxed set??) released in 1972. Included singles, unreleased songs, select album cuts and some live material with a great photo booklet. This needs to be remastered. I own the gold plated version which goes for big bucks on EBAY.

Also, Minstral in the Gallery is also a good one mentioned elsewhere. Hope this all helps.

1. Benefit - 3rd LP released in 1970, harder rock that might appeal more to a Zeppelin fan. Get the remastered version with bonus tracks.

2. Stand Up - 2nd LP released in 1969. Bluesier with folk and rock influences. My second favorite Tull release. Get the remastered version with bonus tracks.

3. Thick As a Brick - 5th studio LP released in 1972 featuring the group pictured above. It's a 45 minute song, not the 5 minute version you hear on radio. Don't ask me what it's about. Tull's Montephythonesque sense of humor is apparent from the opening line, "I really don't mind if you sit this one out.". My #1 favorite Tull release. Try buying the deluxe version with the bonus live version, plus band interview and the full newpaper insert.

4. Song From the Woods - somebody mentioned this in thier top 3 1970 releases. This was released in 1977. It's been refered to as the greatest folk-rock album ever. Two of my favs are "Hunting Girl" and "Velvet Green", both featuring a lot of sexual innuendo. Get the remastered version with bonus tracks. I own the gold plated version which goes for big bucks on EBAY.

5. Living in the Past - a 2 LP compilation (boxed set??) released in 1972. Included singles, unreleased songs, select album cuts and some live material with a great photo booklet. This needs to be remastered. I own the gold plated version which goes for big bucks on EBAY.

Also, Minstral in the Gallery is also a good one mentioned elsewhere. Hope this all helps.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions and your descriptions. I had purchased Thick As a Brick when it was first released. I remember being captivated by the album art and playing it for the first time and thinking "Whaaa?" but then quickly trying to figure out what was going on...Yes, Ian Anderson had that "Montypythonesque" sense of humor. You might like this one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NBujaAumqPU&feature=related The only other album that I have on your list is Living in the Past so there is a lot more for me to explore Tull-wise. Thanks again. :beer:

If you've seen my profile, you will know Jethro Tull are one my essential listens...may I add to MadScreamingGallerys' recommendations, Heavy Horses (1978)..it was this album that really got me into Tull courtesy of my brother.

I have seen them live twice..the last time was The Grand Opera House at York, England last March..Fantastic, intimate show, had a very talented violinist playing with them called Anna Phoebe from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra :)

Thanks for the excellent suggestions and your descriptions. I had purchased Thick As a Brick when it was first released. I remember being captivated by the album art and playing it for the first time and thinking "Whaaa?" but then quickly trying to figure out what was going on...Yes, Ian Anderson had that "Montypythonesque" sense of humor. You might like this one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NBujaAumqPU&feature=related The only other album that I have on your list is Living in the Past so there is a lot more for me to explore Tull-wise. Thanks again. :beer:

Oh, you own more than I thought.....I'll watch that video tonight. Another good one is Crest of a Knave from 1988, available as a remaster with bonus tracks. This won the controvesial Grammy for Hard Rock/Heavy Metal over Metallica. Ian's voice had changed quite a bit. Barre's guitar work is stellar.

One dusky half-hour's ride up to the north.

There lies your reputation and all that you're worth.

Where the scent of wild roses turns the milk to cream.

Tell your mother that you walked all night on velvet green.

And the long grass blows in the evening cool.

And August's rare delight may be April's fool.

But think not of that, my love,

I'm tight against the seam.

And I'm growing up to meet you down on velvet green.

Now I may tell you that it's love and not just lust.

And if we live the lie, let's lie in trust.

On golden daffodils, to catch the silver stream

that washes out the wild oat seed on velvet green.

If you've seen my profile, you will know Jethro Tull are one my essential listens...may I add to MadScreamingGallerys' recommendations, Heavy Horses (1978)..it was this album that really got me into Tull courtesy of my brother.

I have seen them live twice..the last time was The Grand Opera House at York, England last March..Fantastic, intimate show, had a very talented violinist playing with them called Anna Phoebe from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra :)

Ah yes, I couldn't overwhelm her with another stellar release. Heavy Horses is superb.

I'll get myself another Jethro Tull CD soon.

These are the ones I already own:

This Was

Stand Up

Benefit

Aqualung

Thick As A Brick

A Passion Play

War Child

Minstrel In The Gallery

Great band, I love them. Ian Anderson has to be one of my favourite lyricists too.

4. Songs From the Wood - somebody mentioned this in thier top 3 1970 releases. This was released in 1977. It's been refered to as the greatest folk-rock album ever. Two of my favs are "Hunting Girl" and "Velvet Green", both featuring a lot of sexual innuendo. Get the remastered version with bonus tracks. I own the gold plated version which goes for big bucks on EBAY.

I just ordered these 2 from play.com, £3.99 each in the sale!

Thank you MissHoneydripper. That's great that you just saw them live. I prefer the smaller, more intimate venues too. I like your "essential listens". :)

Oh, you own more than I thought.....I'll watch that video tonight. Another good one is Crest of a Knave from 1988, available as a remaster with bonus tracks. This won the controvesial Grammy for Hard Rock/Heavy Metal over Metallica. Ian's voice had changed quite a bit. Barre's guitar work is stellar.

One dusky half-hour's ride up to the north.

There lies your reputation and all that you're worth.

Where the scent of wild roses turns the milk to cream.

Tell your mother that you walked all night on velvet green.

And the long grass blows in the evening cool.

And August's rare delight may be April's fool.

But think not of that, my love,

I'm tight against the seam.

And I'm growing up to meet you down on velvet green.

Now I may tell you that it's love and not just lust.

And if we live the lie, let's lie in trust.

On golden daffodils, to catch the silver stream

that washes out the wild oat seed on velvet green.

When it comes to that era in rock music, there are few bands whose albums I don't own and whose concerts I didn't attend. Thanks for the suggestions, JT. Beautiful lyrics.

I'm a big Tull fan too...I should say I'm a fan of their early work i.e. your first two selections. I have the original LITP on casette and I have the "editd" cd. I've been looking for the full cd on amazon and such but I guess it's not in print anymore. I'm keeping my eyes open. though.

tulls.jpg

Cool photo of Tull.

Not a bad band. That one guy reminds me of a clown.

That's an interesting observation.

The comment below....

"A nice little reminder too of what a technically accomplished pianist John Evan is, and that wonderful Harpo Marx stage persona."

John idolized Harpo Marx.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived