Joe Bonamassa

irg82

Anyone else like him? I've just become obsessed with him. I bought his live Shepherd's Bush album and was pleasantly surprised to hear a bit of Dazed and Confused while listening to Just Got Paid. Awesome blues guitarist, and he does a great job at Zeppeln. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My husband is a big fan of Joe's & got me into him. He really is an excellent guitarist, and being the big Zep fan I am I loved it when he did the Dazed & Confused solo during his cover of Just Got Paid when we saw him in Oct at BB King's in NYC (show available for download on Dime if anybody's interested)

IRQ- what is this Shepherd's Bush album? Is it a boot or legit release?

If you love the guitar than you have to check Joe Bonamassa out.If you do not then you are doing yourself a big injustice.He is not just good,he is scary good.One of the best I have ever seen.Dare I say maybe the best. All around playing,vocals,songwriting.If you can find the song Pain and Sorrow it will blow you away.What separates JB from the pack is that he can play a multitude of styles,and there all at the highest level,blues ,rock,acoustic,ballads,blues rock,you name it.

This man would have been a legend if he had been born a decade or two earlier. It's a shame that he's not a household name.

As I mentioned previously, he was actually around back in the 90s in a band called Bloodline with the sons of Robby Krieger, Miles Davis and Berry Oakley, Jr. Unfortunately I'm about the only one around here that's ever heard of them or remembers them.

As I mentioned previously, he was actually around back in the 90s in a band called Bloodline with the sons of Robby Krieger, Miles Davis and Berry Oakley, Jr. Unfortunately I'm about the only one around here that's ever heard of them or remembers them.

I have a Bloodline cd the one with Stone Cold Hearted.great cd in my opinion.Wasnt familiar with them when they were together though.Would have liked to have seen them.

Very few white guys can succeed at making good blues music. Bonamassa is not one of them.

He makes music for middle-aged white people and kids who don't know any better.

Is this carved in stone somewhere, or is it your opinion? :huh:

Is this carved in stone somewhere, or is it your opinion? :huh:

It's my opinion, of course. I suppose I'd have cited sources if it was fact. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic guitar player, but, like Clapton (post-Blind Faith), he just sounds like a white guy trying to play blues music.

Very few white guys can succeed at making good blues music. Bonamassa is not one of them.

He makes music for middle-aged white people and kids who don't know any better.

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree.Blues isnt about race or economic backround,its about feeling/emotion.You didnt have to pick cotton to be a gret blues player.And I will Agree its not just about how well you play the guitar.I have seen Joe Bonamassa play live several times,and what I hear in him is the passion feelig in both his playing and singing.Sure he is mostly a blues/rock guy,but when he plays the blues he plays the blues.He is not some poser.Is he Muddy Waters NO,is he John Lee Hooker,Sonny Boy Williamson,ect no.That generation has mostly passed and now the younger generation that is embrcaing the blues will put their own stamp on it.I am not a traditionalist.I like my blues hardrockin.But I will argue it is still blues.Yes,Joe does appeal to mostly middle age white guys,but we do know better because we have seen them all.We have seen them and realize a great talent.I will say that Led Zepplin is also the blues.THey just took it and changed it into something completely different.music evolves and morphs. Rock and roll came from the blues,it doesnt matter the lines dont have to be drawn in the sand,different styles for different people.

just another note .Joe does a Blues In The School program,whre on his own time when he is on the road goes to schools aroun the country to talk to kids about the blues.he is trying to keep the blues alive.not many high schoolers know that much about the blues,so I guess all we can hope for are bad white blues players for the ignorant and middle age white guys of the future.

My husband is a big fan of Joe's & got me into him. He really is an excellent guitarist, and being the big Zep fan I am I loved it when he did the Dazed & Confused solo during his cover of Just Got Paid when we saw him in Oct at BB King's in NYC (show available for download on Dime if anybody's interested)

IRQ- what is this Shepherd's Bush album? Is it a boot or legit release?

It's an official Live EP. I got it off iTunes. B)

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree.Blues isnt about race or economic backround,its about feeling/emotion.You didnt have to pick cotton to be a gret blues player.And I will Agree its not just about how well you play the guitar.I have seen Joe Bonamassa play live several times,and what I hear in him is the passion feelig in both his playing and singing.Sure he is mostly a blues/rock guy,but when he plays the blues he plays the blues.He is not some poser.Is he Muddy Waters NO,is he John Lee Hooker,Sonny Boy Williamson,ect no.That generation has mostly passed and now the younger generation that is embrcaing the blues will put their own stamp on it.I am not a traditionalist.I like my blues hardrockin.But I will argue it is still blues.Yes,Joe does appeal to mostly middle age white guys,but we do know better because we have seen them all.We have seen them and realize a great talent.I will say that Led Zepplin is also the blues.THey just took it and changed it into something completely different.music evolves and morphs. Rock and roll came from the blues,it doesnt matter the lines dont have to be drawn in the sand,different styles for different people.

Hey, I like white bluesmen as much as the next (white) guy: Page, Peter Green, the guy from the Black Keys, Billy Gibbons, Jeff Beck, etc.; I was just saying (or trying to say) that Joe Bonamassa didn't quite make my personal cut. And I wasn't trying to offend, xmas -- my comment was meant to be more humorous than hurtful.

Also, I completely agree: blues is about emotion. To be more clear about my feelings on JB's music: it sounds way too polished -- like the emotion was scrubbed away. And that reminds me of later Clapton. All technical excellence, no grit.

Hey, I like white bluesmen as much as the next (white) guy: Page, Peter Green, the guy from the Black Keys, Billy Gibbons, Jeff Beck, etc.; I was just saying (or trying to say) that Joe Bonamassa didn't quite make my personal cut. And I wasn't trying to offend, xmas -- my comment was meant to be more humorous than hurtful.

Also, I completely agree: blues is about emotion. To be more clear about my feelings on JB's music: it sounds way too polished -- like the emotion was scrubbed away. And that reminds me of later Clapton. All technical excellence, no grit.

OK Kidmoon I hear you better now.I just get a little riled up with the whole white guy cant/shouldnt be a bluesman.You are right Joes music is polished.I think thats the way he wants it.I have no complaints on that.I also like my raw electric blues as well.kind of a steak and lobster thing for me.Joe has a live cd A new Day Yesterday Live,which if you havent heard, I would say alot less polished.An early cd that alot of his fans sight as their favorite. If you are interested in hearing it,drop me an email. One more thing,I dont think in Joes case that the polish strips away the emotion specially when he plays live.I do agree on your Clapton comment.

Hey y'all...a friend of mine i met through work is a real bonamassa freak, thankfully, 'cause that's how I learned about him...now I have probably every one of his discs, a few live dvds and saw him open for Kenny Wayne Sheppard and BB King a few years ago in st.louis. I think he is very good, and also did hear about "BloodLine", just never heard any of it, though. Has anyone heard it? Back to Joe...like i said, i think he is good, just something about the vocals...i dont know...I dont have a lot of time to listen to music and he's just not the first, second or third thing i reach for...but when i have my disc player on random and it comes up...not bad at all. He delivers live, as well, imho...

Hey y'all...a friend of mine i met through work is a real bonamassa freak, thankfully, 'cause that's how I learned about him...now I have probably every one of his discs, a few live dvds and saw him open for Kenny Wayne Sheppard and BB King a few years ago in st.louis. I think he is very good, and also did hear about "BloodLine", just never heard any of it, though. Has anyone heard it? Back to Joe...like i said, i think he is good, just something about the vocals...i dont know...I dont have a lot of time to listen to music and he's just not the first, second or third thing i reach for...but when i have my disc player on random and it comes up...not bad at all. He delivers live, as well, imho...

Bloodline is real good,JB plays the guitar,but doesnt sing.some great rock songs with alot of tasty playing both guitars and keyboards.Pretty much a classic rock sound.I would highly recommend.

Just checked his website... This guy's the real deal. I'm buying everything he's got :):):)

you wont be disapointed.All his stuff his outstanding.I can give you a brief overview if you arent buying everything at once

New Day Yesterday Also Live version which I would take over studio-My favorite.lots of rock and blues.high energy playing in power trio format.

So its Like That-pretty much a rock album here.great songwriting harder rock and of pop songs.Pain and Sorrow a guitar Juggernaut.

Had To Cry Today-nice balance of blues and rock

Blues delux -His strait blues album mostly covers some of the finest blues guitar you will ever hear

You and Me-mostly blues here Joe does cover of zeps Tea for One that would make the boys proud

Sloe Gin another masterepiece-more keyboards added,great songs a blues/rock cd something a little different giutars not in your face more emphasis on songs,vocals stepped up a notch here.

So buy them all.but I thought this might help as a place to start.