4 May 71 Odense, Denmark show to be released

Zep Hed

11 hours ago, Strider said:

It'll be worth it just to hear another live "Four Sticks"! :drool:

Yup. Hope the sound quality is decent, especially given the time period these tapes have been laying around. 

Kicking myself for not simply copying the body of the Facebook post straight away. Here it is:

Tarantura label is very proud to announce that the complete Led Zeppelin concert, which has never been in circulation before, will be released shortly. It is a real Holy Grail, as it is May 4, 1971 Odense show that has been hoarded for over 51 years! The biggest surprise, apart from very good sound quality, is that the tape features live versions of Four Sticks and Gallows Pole, performed just a day prior on the famous Copenhagen show on May 3, 1971. More info soon! Stay tuned.

Further info from LedZepNews:

Photos were previously posted online of non-circulating two-disc CDR copies of a claimed recording of the May 4, 1971 show taped by someone known as “The Kif Man” released privately through “Cannabis Records” along with a cassette tape of the same show that was marked “Kifcord Tapes”.

The Facebook page did not dispute that the recording is from the same source as the CDR copies, writing “cannot confirm but I think these CDRs might be sourced from a master that is now in the hands of our Japanese friends.”

Tracklist for those claimed CDR copies of the recording:

1. Immigrant Song (04:27)
  2. Heartbreaker (07:17)
  3. Since I’ve Been Loving You (08:00)
  4. Dazed And Confused (19:38)
  5. Black Dog (06:28)
  6. Stairway To Heaven (09:00)
  7. Tangerine (06:00)
  8. That’s The Way (07:13)
  9. What Is And What Should Never Be (05:01)
  10. Four Sticks (06:05)
  11. Gallows Pole (06:44)
  12. Whole Lotta Love (19:51)
  13. Communication Breakdown (05:37)

1 hour ago, Zep Hed said:

very good sound quality

Tracklist for those claimed CDR copies of the recording:

1. Immigrant Song (04:27)
  2. Heartbreaker (07:17)
  3. Since I’ve Been Loving You (08:00)
  4. Dazed And Confused (19:38)
  5. Black Dog (06:28)
  6. Stairway To Heaven (09:00)
  7. Tangerine (06:00)
  8. That’s The Way (07:13)
  9. What Is And What Should Never Be (05:01)
  10. Four Sticks (06:05)
  11. Gallows Pole (06:44)
  12. Whole Lotta Love (19:51)
  13. Communication Breakdown (05:37)

5C02240C-DE84-4B8E-90D6-8B6B11203716.gif

Edited by Walter

3 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

My favorite part of this article. To get something from this tour that is, hopefully, on the same level as the recently remastered Copenhagen show would just be a God-send. Can't wait to hear it!!   

What's the name of the new remaster? By who (whom?) do you know? Many thanks. I'd love to hear it. 

44 minutes ago, William Austin said:

Anyone else find it a little hard to believe that a 6 minute rendition of Tangerine was performed at this show?

I know stranger things have happened but…

May include Plantations and/or guitar tuning, I reckon. Plus, by all accounts they'd never played it live before!

Edited by Zep Hed

1 hour ago, William Austin said:

Anyone else find it a little hard to believe that a 6 minute rendition of Tangerine was performed at this show?

I know stranger things have happened but…

You are right, that is more than suspicious. I think it is rather Going To California than Tangerine, including tuning and Plantations the live versions of GTC are about 6 minutes long. Furthermore, in Copenhagen they played it on the same position in the setlist, just before That´s The Way.

10 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

You are right, that is more than suspicious. I think it is rather Going To California than Tangerine, including tuning and Plantations the live versions of GTC are about 6 minutes long. Furthermore, in Copenhagen they played it on the same position in the setlist, just before That´s The Way.

Was thinking the same thing. If the set list was written down shortly after - or even during! - the gig, it's plausible this mistake could have been made. GTC was an unknown song at the time; the fourth album hadn't been released yet. So the listener hears an acoustic tune "hmmm Tangerine?" May have been his best guess. The recording hasn't circulated very widely or been heard by many people so the error goes uncorrected. Many a bootleg have such mistakes - song titles, dates/locations of shows. An error early in the process carries forward through future publications. I think it's a viable theory.

Tangerine is played in standard tuning, but That’s the Way is in an alternative tuning. That’s why Tangerine will take so long. If you listen to Blueberry Hill, it takes a while for Jimmy to change the tuning between That’s the Way and Bron-yr-Aur. Plant talks while he’s doing it. 

7 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Tangerine is played in standard tuning, but That’s the Way is in an alternative tuning. That’s why Tangerine will take so long. If you listen to Blueberry Hill, it takes a while for Jimmy to change the tuning between That’s the Way and Bron-yr-Aur. Plant talks while he’s doing it. 

Is not Tangerine, when played live,  played on an Electric Guitar and That's the Way acoustic?  Just means a change of instrument

"Cannabis Records"? Maybe he forgot he had the tapes :D

9 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Is not Tangerine, when played live,  played on an Electric Guitar and That's the Way acoustic?  Just means a change of instrument

"Cannabis Records"? Maybe he forgot he had the tapes :D

The early "Tangerine" performances in 1971 and 1972 were on 12-string acoustic guitar. It was not until the 1975 Earls Court gigs that Jimmy played it on the 12-string double-neck.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:08 PM, The Only Way To Fly said:

Here's a link to what they sounded like the night before. LOVE the 1971 zeppelin gigs - they were still a really young band. It's amazing what they were doing during this time.

Robert’s vocals are outstanding. In particular on Four Sticks. It’s incredible that shows keep popping up. Thanks to all that invest their time and efforts in making that happen.