NY 1970 8mm

zeplz71

5 minutes ago, duckman said:

superb...wow this is amazing. I would wager it's 16mm, rather than 8mm judging by the image quality. Hopefully the cinematographer has some additional footage.

I wonder how the filmer managed to evade "G" being so close to the stage - unless he knew? Would a 16mm camera be easy to spot?

28 minutes ago, duckman said:

superb...wow this is amazing. I would wager it's 16mm, rather than 8mm judging by the image quality. Hopefully the cinematographer has some additional footage.

Apparently there is a little bit more footage.

4 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

this is nice

Yeah, this is like Holy Grail nice. Thanks 71 ! 

I just spent like 15 minutes trying to stop the action at a spot between 2 & 3 seconds when a flash goes off & you can see the crowd behind Jimmy. A buddy & I were sitting in the 2nd row behind the stage on his side. All the faces were pretty blurry & everybody & their brother had long hair, so...anyway, I've been waiting 50 years for something like this to surface.

Thanks again !

5 hours ago, mickey g said:

Yeah, this is like Holy Grail nice. Thanks 71 ! 

I just spent like 15 minutes trying to stop the action at a spot between 2 & 3 seconds when a flash goes off & you can see the crowd behind Jimmy. A buddy & I were sitting in the 2nd row behind the stage on his side. All the faces were pretty blurry & everybody & their brother had long hair, so...anyway, I've been waiting 50 years for something like this to surface.

Thanks again !

It still blows my mind that there are people who SAW these shows and witnessed Zeppelin live. F Superman, y'all are the real heroes 😜

8 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Since these were the first two numbers of the gig, there has to be more footage.

I have no idea if there's more footage, but I would bet against it. This was shot from so close to the stage that it looks like it was in the photographers pit. If that's the case, it's likely that anyone in there was limited to shooting during the first couple of songs, which is what we see in the video.

19 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

It still blows my mind that there are people who SAW these shows and witnessed Zeppelin live. F Superman, y'all are the real heroes 😜

We were still teenagers, first LZ concert,  sat so close to them, thought Jimmy Page was God, and got stoned AF on a pin joint...pretty much the best concert ever for this boy.

Blown away by this. So cool to see footage from one of the legendary shows. The film quality is quite good.

My initial thoughts are that the person who filmed this had a media pass...maybe worked for one of the TV News channels. The September 19, 1970 gigs were Led Zeppelin's debut at Madison Square Garden. Led Zeppelin arrived on the heels of supplanting the Beatles atop the Melody Maker Poll. This was a big deal. They even held a big press conference for the band's arrival.

It's very possible one or more of the tv networks would have wanted footage of the concert for a news segment on Led Zeppelin and sent a cameraman to the Garden to film a few minutes.

Just like the TV news footage we got from New York and Philadelphia in 1975.

18 hours ago, mickey g said:

We were still teenagers, first LZ concert,  sat so close to them, thought Jimmy Page was God, and got stoned AF on a pin joint...pretty much the best concert ever for this boy.

Great story. I am not jealous of much in my life but people like you seeing Zeppelin and sitting close and having a toke or two, well that makes me jealous. 

• 2 months later...