Speculation John Paul Jones Didn't Play Piano on No Quarter Album Version

There's a lot of idiotic garbage on the internet, but this might just take the cake. Reading about No Quarter on a website that focuses on music theory, especially modes, I came across this "interesting" piece of analysis concerning No Quarter.

"In his concert improvisations, John Paul Jones often deviated from the album version keyboard line which brought about the speculation that the record version's particularly skilful parts were played by another musician."

Zeppelin experts, I'm sure we all agree that the very difficult and extraordinarily complicated album version of this tune was simply too much for JPJ to handle in concert, which is why he played a much simpler version of it when playing live! Who writes these garbage articles? And check out his language, "brought about the speculation that...", exactly WHO is speculating this? I've been immersed in all things Zeppelin for 35 years and until today, I've never heard this before.

Say it with me, "What an idiot!"

https://musictales.club/article/no-quarter-two-minor-modal-modes-led-zeppelins-psychedelic-track

Edited by Christopher Lees

The article also states “The 7-minute song became the highlight of the band's final tour” 

funny that it was dropped from their final tour

4 hours ago, Christopher Lees said:

There's a lot of idiotic garbage on the internet....

No doubt the musical genius who wrote this article failed to realize that there are numerous rehearsal takes of this song, including an uptempo one with the full band, and that JPJ was a highly regarded multi-instrumental session player, composer, and arranger before joining Zep, which means he was the person other bands brought in when they needed a talented musician.

Edited by SteveZ98

On 7/31/2022 at 9:57 AM, jsj said:

The article also states “The 7-minute song became the highlight of the band's final tour” 

funny that it was dropped from their final tour

It was played at both Knebworth shows. However it didn't fit in to the final tour as I assume it was deemed too long, overblown and not innkeeping with the short concise set the band were playing at the time. Same with Dazed, though that was dropped in 1975

Well...there's three minutes of my life wasted. I certainly won't be looking at anything on musictales.com ever again. Or reading anything by that clown of a writer. Some bozo on a comment page does not qualify as "speculation".

If this is the future of music writing, we'll be lucky if the entire history of Led Zeppelin isn't twisted and rewritten into nonsense.