Led Zeppelin Shepperton Film Studios Aug 1974

SteveAJones

You probably have the best guitar collection in the world, and those covers are phenomenal.

That 1958 Danelectro 3021 is not from this world.

By the way, can you make a cover of White Summer/Black Mountain Side or Kashmir, played on Danelectro?

A lot of people keep saying this guitar is a deluxe, I thought it was confirmed as a not very common goldtop reissue from 70?

That one with the B bender is the one that was used in The Song Remains The Same (pre-B-bender); it is a 1969 Les Paul Deluxe with a pancake body and one piece neck (no volute). The other red LP from 1977 is most likely a 50s LP gold top that was over sprayed transparent red to make it candy apple red

Yes, the one used in TSRTS has an almost purple look to it whereas the "other #3" looks very red in comparison.

BTW, do you work for Gibson or did a Brinks trunk happen to break down in front of your house :thumbsup:

That is because of the concert lights. They are both candy apple red = gold underneath a transparent red finish. When the guitars are in regular light, they both look very candy apple red, which also tends to change colors at different angles and different lighting.

BTW, it looks like the logo on the real #3 has a dot over the i, making an even stronger case for pre-1970 = mid to late 1969 model.

I'm sorry i think I'm thinking of the Michael Corby "77 les paul" not the norlin. But some people do think the 77 one was a 71-73 58 reissue and not an original 52 as the bill of sale says. This is in the wrong section so I won't post anymore on it here.

I'm sorry i think I'm thinking of the Michael Corby "77 les paul" not the norlin. But some people do think the 77 one was a 71-73 58 reissue and not an original 52 as the bill of sale says. This is in the wrong section so I won't post anymore on it here.

That is one theory. However, it would have had to have been modified heavily to be one of the 58 reissues because those 71-73 models were actually more like 54 LPs in that they had a stop tail bridge, not an ABR-1 with tail piece; not to mentionb the P90 pickups (would have to be routed for humbuckers as well). Also, the logo placement is more like a 50s LP compared to those 58 reissues. Most of the ones I have seen were not gold tops, though I have seen a few gold tops. Plus, with Page having referenced the candy apple red guitar he got from Corby, that makes more sense. He probably got the year on it wrong though. It was more likely a 1957 gold top or early 58 gold top....could have even been a 55-56 gold top routed for humbuckers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

great stuff. i would love to see a film about the making of TSRTS. i'm proud to say i saw it 11 times on the big screen the first month it came out. always a party. still is my day off with nothing to do movie. like visiting an old friend. thanks steve, whats next?

You are correct sir! But youtube has blocked nearly all of my most recent videos, which are also the best ones. So I have put all of my videos on metacafe where they are never deleted:

http://www.metacafe....s/jimmyace2006/

If you check there, you will see many videos that are not available on youtube.

jimmyace, i just watched some of your videos on metacafe and they ROCK!! that was so cool to see those solos played right before my very eyes. thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...

None of the nights were completely filmed. There is footage from No Quarter from the 28th, and takes the bulk of the post fantasy sequences. The ending sequence to that song is Shepperton however. I wouldn't get your hopes up on seeing more complete MSG footage, as the footage itself has been poorly mixed with the audio on all of its releases.

Terrific! Did you learn it by ear? By the way, your guitar collection could be the best in the world. Where do you buy them?

I learned it from vanderbilly dott komm and by ear; mostly the lesson, but i also changed a few parts that i heard differently on the DVD. if you take the lesson & compare it to the way i play it, you will see a few differences. but the lesson was an awesome guide.

Fuck. It sounds a bit bizarre when one of the most popular music acts of all time doesn't have a single decently-filmed concert.

As for the 28.07.73 MSG footage, we don't know exactly what portion of the concert was filmed, do we? I just want to see the guitar solo part that lasts for about 3 minutes.

6:08-9:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5R9MB-edJ8

that is the pre- remastered version from the sound track. parts of that version were not actually in the movie. the first 54 second of the solo are not in the movie. and some parts after the solo are not there. in the remastered version, the movie is the same as the pre- remastered movie. but the sound track now matches the remastered movie. and that is the version that i learned, the movie remastered version.

Archived