Your dream 1977-1979 set list, within reason

JMH

I have been thinking about this since I came back to Zep boots late last year. The idea is to compile 1977-1979 concert set list given the songs and capabilities Zep had gathered by that time. Let us pretend the band is in La Forum 77/ Copenhagen 79 shape.

The point is to keep the show under 3,5 hours with encores and Plantations and give sort of top limit for time for each song, and preferred way of deliverance if there are differences over the years (for example, Tangerine). Of course, arguments to back up your choices are the whole point of the exercise.

I will give it a go but only saying this is how it looks today. Another day, another ideas.

1.       The Song Remains The Same 5 MIN

2.       Sick Aagain (Rover Intro) 6 MIN

3.       Celebration Day 5 MIN

4.       Nobody's Fault But Mine 8 MIN

5.       In My Time Of Dying/Over The Hills And Far Away 12 MIN

6.       Since I've Been Loving You 10 MIN

7.       No Quarter 25 MIN

8.       Tangerine 5 MIN

9.       Ten Years Gone 10 MIN

10.   Kashmir 11 MIN

11.   Dazed And Confused 35 MIN

12.   Stairway To Heaven 12 MIN

13.   Moby Dick 15 MIN

14.   Heartbreaker/ Trampled Underfoot 9 MIN

15.   Achilles Last Stand 11 MIN

16.   Encores Whole Lotta Love, jumping to Black Dog, Communication Breakdown, Rock And Roll: 15 MIN

TOT: 194 MIN

The first three: As a 1-2 or 1-2-3 punch Immigrant Song and Heartbreaker only get silver. By 77, when Bonham really was beating the skins and the delivery of SA had more groove, I dare to say, that was the best show start ever. However, the 73 shows have a highlight for me as I always get the chills when RR turns into the opening riff of CD. That is a very special song and I do not wonder Page brought it back in 79. Too bad the delivery was not as good as in 73 (or earlier). So, I took it here to really blow some minds and as for the Immigrant song-HB intro, given the conditions on the band's shape RP could not possibly do the yells, even in lower key.

NFBM & IMTOD bring a start-stop section to the show and at the moment I prefer IMTOD over OTHAFA as the latter has a good solo part but as a whole song I think the first one wins but it is so close they could be taken in turns as they kind of did 77.

SIBLY & NQ section needs no explanation I guess. Just, the band should play the 75 rendition of NQ without the boogie section, that was a bit silly. Damn, I would be happy with a late 73 US tour versions too but they miss the long JPJ-Bonham interplay that is the key to happiness for me when that really worked out.

First raw cut. The acoustic set is gone, sorry. But... I slow things down with the 75 EC version of Tangerine and the must have TYG. That'll have to do.

Kashmir, by 77 they really had learned to deliver this one.

Instead of having Page torturing a cat onstage for 20 minutes, why couldn't we listen to some music instead. Dazed has to be in the list. Absolute maximum is 35 minutes though. We can stick to the 75 versions where SF/Woodstock interludes were played.

Stairway after Dazed. I think they got this one right in the set list 73. Later when they played it as the last song before the encores it does feel a little off the place. A hard rock ballad as a last song...

MD: No Zep concert without one, just keep it short(ish). 77 LA versions or my preference, 70-72 versions without the timpani part.

I'd like to hear HB after the drum solo as in 73 but here TU could rotate.

Achilles, that is the true show stopper so to speak. Put on the lasers and smoke machines... here we go!

As for the encores, they way WLL was played in Copenhagen & Knebworth 79 intrigues me. They found a new very cool riff. Let us use that and jump to BD, CB or RR depending on the day.

It looks like I am tilting towards the late Zep for some reason... I mean the early 70-72 playing is very tight and 70-71 when RP's voice killed flies was really something else. However, as a whole show and also in terms of songs they composed they got better all the way to LA 77 when it got bloody galactic.

Edited by JMH
some typos

Probably a tall order in '77, Jimmy stated "Dazed & Confused" wasn't in the setlist because, he no longer was, lol.  Considering the title literally, it was probably the most appropriate tour for the song.

I've envisioned an updated "San Francisco"/"Woodstock" jam > abbreviated noise solo > "Achilles Last Stand" for the win.

I thought about the same DC-ALS transition as the transition of noise solo to ALS does work very well. That could work, I would just need to consider the placing of the tunes in the setlist... hmm.

Edit: maybe like this (although, looking at this I think STH should be brought last before encores, which I just critisized above, haha)

1.       The Song Remains The Same 5 MIN

2.       Sick Aagain (Rover Intro) 6 MIN

3.       Celebration Day 5 MIN

4.       Nobody's Fault But Mine 8 MIN

5.       In My Time Of Dying/Over The Hills And Far Away 12 MIN

6.       Since I've Been Loving You 10 MIN

7.       No Quarter 25 MIN

8.       Tangerine 5 MIN

9.       Ten Years Gone 10 MIN

10.   Kashmir 11 MIN

11. Moby Dick 15 MIN

12. Heartbreaker/ Trampled Underfoot 9 MIN

13.   Stairway To Heaven 12 MIN

14.   Dazed And Confused until the end of bow section 20 MIN

15.   Achilles Last Stand 11 MIN

16.   Encores Whole Lotta Love, jumping to Black Dog, Communication Breakdown, Rock And Roll: 15 MIN

TOT: 179 MIN

Edited by JMH

• 8 months later...

1. The Rover

2. Ramble On

3. Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (slide guitar rehearsal version).

4. OTHAFA

5. SIBLY

6. For Your Life

7. Nobody’s Fault But Mine

8. The Wanton Song

9. Ten Years Gone

10. Tangerine

11. Hey Hey What Can I Do

12. Bron-Yr-Aur

13. Kashmir

14. ALS

15. In The Evening

16. STH

————————-

17. Custard Pie

18. When The Levee Breaks

19. WLL

The Song Remains the Same – 5 min  

The Rover/Sick Again – 5 min (Celebration Day lost its power live after 1971 for me) 

In My Time of Dying – 10 min (Medley inc. The Lemon Song) 

Since I’ve Been Loving You (inc. Tea for One) - 12 min 

Moby Dick – 10 min 

Nobody's Fault but Mine – 6 min 

The Rain Song – 8 min 

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (Pedal Steel Rehearsal) - 8 min 

Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp – 10 min (Medley inc. Dancing Days) 

That’s The Way5 min 

Going to California – 9 min (Close to Osaka version) 

Bron-Yr-Aur – 3 min 

In The Light – 9 min 

No Quarter – 20 min 

Ten Years Gone – 9 min 

Achilles Last Stand – 9 min 

White Summer – 5 min straight into 

Kashmir – 9 min 

- Encore -  

Whole Lotta Love (inc. The Crunge) – 15 min 

Stairway To Heaven – 10 min 

Black Dog (Bring It on Home intro)– 5 min 

Organ Solo – 3 min