Interview: Robert Plant on Success, Getting Panned by Rolling Stone, and What ‘Stairway to Heaven’ Means to Him Now (Rolling Stone)

zeplz71

Great interview. Robert touches on so many aspects of the Zeppelin years. The band's origins, the development of the music, what inspired Robert, the rigors of touring, the band's behavior being a sign of the times that probably wouldn't fly today. Get the sense he may be past any distaste for speaking freely and reverentially of the Zeppelin years. Perhaps he's got a book in him going into great detail as only he could.

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

You still get the feeling he isn't proud of his years with Zeppelin. Quite how he is embarrassed regarding The Battle Of Evermore, as it's a wonderfully sung and beautiful piece of music

Perhaps that's true. But, he is performing "Battle" with Alison on their current tour which I got to see them do. Great version!

Couldn't get past Rolling Stone's paywall and if you think I'm giving money to RS, HA!

But yes, "Battle of Evermore" was a delight on this tour with Alison Krauss. Certainly no need to feel embarrassed about the song...or "Stairway To Heaven", for that matter. I think Robert took the criticism in the 1980s and the Wayne's World jibe too seriously. Led Zeppelin has endured far longer than Wayne's World. 

12 hours ago, Strider said:

Couldn't get past Rolling Stone's paywall and if you think I'm giving money to RS, HA!

But yes, "Battle of Evermore" was a delight on this tour with Alison Krauss. Certainly no need to feel embarrassed about the song...or "Stairway To Heaven", for that matter. I think Robert took the criticism in the 1980s and the Wayne's World jibe too seriously. Led Zeppelin has endured far longer than Wayne's World. 

Agreed Strider. Battle was done so well on the tour. Saw them in Philly at The Mann and a packed house. The crowd was really into the show back in June.

I'm with you regarding RS and won't pay to read their crap journalism.