BATH FESTIVAL 1970 16mm Footage

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

From Chris Welch's book, 'Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin'

Peter Grant:  “I went down to the site unbeknown to Freddie Bannister and found out from the Meteorological Office what time the sun was setting. It was going down right behind the stage. By going on at sunset I was able to bring the stage lights up a bit at a time. And it was vital we went on stage at the right time. That’s why I made sure the previous band Flock, or whoever they were, got off on time.”

Among those who witnessed the traumatic scenes at the side of the stage was an openmouthed young reporter from Melody Maker. Chris Charlesworth, soon to become the paper’s news editor and later its American correspondent, would come to enjoy privileged access to the band and travel extensively with them across America. But his first taste of Zeppelin-mania took place deep in the heart of the Somerset countryside.

Says Charlesworth: “The first time I met Peter Grant was at the Bath Festival in 1970. I was hanging about backstage and there was an incident. The band were due on stage on Sunday night at 8
p.m. which Grant correctly assumed was the time when the sun would be going down behind them and would make a nice setting on stage. The trouble was the previous group were overrunning.
They were the American band Flock, led by a violinist called Jerry Goodman. When they came to the end of a song at about 8 p.m. they still had more songs to go – and an encore. So Grant led his team of roadies onto the stage and he started unplugging their equipment. ‘Hey, we haven’t finished yet man,’ said Flock’s crew. ‘Oh yes you fuckin’ have,’ shouted Peter. There was a stand-off between the two sides but Flock’s roadies took one look at Led Zep’s gang, led by Grant and Richard Cole, and decided there was no way they were gonna fight these guys. So Zeppelin came on a few minutes after 8 p.m. just as the sun was setting."

• 2 weeks later...

I knew of the Kino YouTube channel, but to find this footage there, is really good. The channel seems to have a lot of counter culture films.

I think the quality is rather good, even if it did seem the director seems to have a thing about shoes.

Could anyone tell me who some of the back ground characters are, like Peter talking to a chap who looks like Wild Bill Hickcock, or the long haired guy who was setting up gear.?

Plus Jimmy wandering to the Flower Show.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This stuff is priceless!!! Imagine having a whole show on film 😛 It´s obvious that artists back in the day, didn´t maybe care so much for the filmed material. Unless it was something like The Beatles did. There are at least 2 full concerts of Jimi Hendrix filmed that have disappeared/stolen and apparently the same goes Cream 1968 stuff. I would like to see any of that!!!

10 hours ago, Mikelangelo said:

This stuff is priceless!!! Imagine having a whole show on film 😛 It´s obvious that artists back in the day, didn´t maybe care so much for the filmed material. Unless it was something like The Beatles did. There are at least 2 full concerts of Jimi Hendrix filmed that have disappeared/stolen and apparently the same goes Cream 1968 stuff. I would like to see any of that!!!

It's just too bad a lot of the focus in this footage is on RP's shoes. But, still love it and glad it's there from a historic show.

On 10/1/2022 at 9:40 AM, gcczep said:

Beautiful. Minor nit but the hell with the time focused on the shoes? :)

But wow! THOSE “some” shoes now !

i cant figure out exactly what those are ...

boots ? 

Really takes u to the moment in time 

👉🏼If he wore those👈🏼

i NEEDED to know!

On 10/1/2022 at 9:40 AM, gcczep said:

Beautiful. Minor nit but the hell with the time focused on the shoes? :)

In Camara mans defense:

he was instructed to :

”get down there & record some

FOOTage! “ 

☝🏼

On 9/29/2022 at 6:54 PM, ZepHead315 said:

@ledzepfilm synced the audio of the show to this footage. What an incredible day for Zeppelin fans! :D 

So is it the fact that ☝🏼Now reads 

“VIDEO UNAVAILABLE”

the chances are greater that we WILL really get something special & fresh from the  NEW documentary ? 

What is the official reason why its now unavailable from YOU TUBE?

Im assuming ITS  BEEN PULLED

or made unavailable for this reason ?

so OMG !

The “documentary”

IS GOING TO BE GREAT!!!

Ummmm? 

Wait-a-sec 

NOW im really confused🤔 ! Or im getting the shows & incidents mixed up.

If this the SAME bath festival as we heard about re’ Grant & crew pulling the plug on a band early  , Followed by

the  Famous vision in my head of the boys Rippin into their set with

IMMIGRANT SONG

as the skys were just darkening for the evening & the lights were slowly comming on one at a time?

then why or ?  Shouldnt

“bring it on home”  

& any other footage of the show have somewhat darker sky's in background ?

not concerned or questioning  the natural speed of the EARTHS spin that regulates the sun lite at that specific location , but according to my calculations

lets see here , multiplied by .... carry the 3......divided by  the speed of light.....

SHOULDNT  The sky be Getting dark ?

maybe its just an optical camara illusion but sure seems like 

total DAY TIME  to me!

maybe not a sunny ☀️ day ,but no indication of the

Mighty Zep’s performance  with the

“sun was going down backdrop”

Just a few songs earlier.

am i even at the rite show ?

On 1/14/2023 at 8:42 PM, z1inspector said:

So is it the fact that ☝🏼Now reads 

“VIDEO UNAVAILABLE”

the chances are greater that we WILL really get something special & fresh from the  NEW documentary ? 

What is the official reason why its now unavailable from YOU TUBE?

Im assuming ITS  BEEN PULLED

or made unavailable for this reason ?

so OMG !

The “documentary”

IS GOING TO BE GREAT!!!

The video was taken down because of a copyright claim from the video archive company that uploaded the footage - the takedown isn't connected to "Becoming Led Zeppelin" (which apparently ends around the Royal Albert Hall 1970 show)

Not really that crazy. I have generally given up hope anything substantial will be released officially in my lifetime.  

• 2 weeks later...

The long haired guy setting up the gear is Eric Barrett who used to be Jimi Hendrix guitar tech and road manager. In many of Jimi's videos, he's always asking for Eric because of equipment or gear issues.

Cpture.PNG.e337ceaded4c87ac0fff689984dfaa2b.PNG

I think the girl that Plant's talking to is Audrey Hamilton whom the song "Hot Dog" was written for.

https://www.rocksoffmag.com/audrey-hamilton-the-girl-who-lived-for-rock-n-roll/

Donovan also makes an appearance and comes out of the trailer at one point.

Edited by orgone

Ya he was in the “Jimi Hendrix” movie/doc from 1973 which used to show before “The Song Remains the Same” up here in Toronto back in the early 80’s. I also believe he is in the 1970 Zeppelin footage from Iceland unloading the band’s luggage from the plane…..you see him for a few brief seconds. What a legend!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 10:35 AM, sam_webmaster said:

From Chris Welch's book, 'Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin'

Peter Grant:  “I went down to the site unbeknown to Freddie Bannister and found out from the Meteorological Office what time the sun was setting. It was going down right behind the stage. By going on at sunset I was able to bring the stage lights up a bit at a time. And it was vital we went on stage at the right time. That’s why I made sure the previous band Flock, or whoever they were, got off on time.”

Among those who witnessed the traumatic scenes at the side of the stage was an openmouthed young reporter from Melody Maker. Chris Charlesworth, soon to become the paper’s news editor and later its American correspondent, would come to enjoy privileged access to the band and travel extensively with them across America. But his first taste of Zeppelin-mania took place deep in the heart of the Somerset countryside.

Says Charlesworth: “The first time I met Peter Grant was at the Bath Festival in 1970. I was hanging about backstage and there was an incident. The band were due on stage on Sunday night at 8
p.m. which Grant correctly assumed was the time when the sun would be going down behind them and would make a nice setting on stage. The trouble was the previous group were overrunning.
They were the American band Flock, led by a violinist called Jerry Goodman. When they came to the end of a song at about 8 p.m. they still had more songs to go – and an encore. So Grant led his team of roadies onto the stage and he started unplugging their equipment. ‘Hey, we haven’t finished yet man,’ said Flock’s crew. ‘Oh yes you fuckin’ have,’ shouted Peter. There was a stand-off between the two sides but Flock’s roadies took one look at Led Zep’s gang, led by Grant and Richard Cole, and decided there was no way they were gonna fight these guys. So Zeppelin came on a few minutes after 8 p.m. just as the sun was setting."

So looking at the sky re’ time of day , this sure doesnt seem like the sky described in the book to me !? 

Seems earlier in the day , 

wheres the sun that was going down  & lights that should already been popping up one at a time ?

57 minutes ago, z1inspector said:

So looking at the sky re’ time of day , this sure doesnt seem like the sky described in the book to me !? 

Seems earlier in the day , 

wheres the sun that was going down  & lights that should already been popping up one at a time ?

Sunset would have been around about  9 15 pm (21.15).