Here's to my Sweet Ranking - 14 Magickal Performances of "Dazed and Confused" from 1973

1975NQ

15 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Hey man, I know I’ve responded to this thread, but damn, just reread the 7/27 post. That shit is on point. Robert is crushing it! Jimmy is straight possessed, JPJ is just doing his thing and is the consummate professional without boasting or bragging. John is absolutely killing it. The three frontmen are without a doubt pushing and just creating something that no band had ever achieved. Really what I wanted to say, and also second what a few others have said, your description is spot on. I have to say, I prefer this voice from Robert, the tone and ferocious playing from the three musicians is simply unmatched/unbelievable. 

1975-NQ, what an amazing illustration and description you have given! Dope! 

Thanks, man! Again, I appreciate the kind words. The writing piece of this project took 7 weeks in my off time so it's nice to hear the compliment. It's a layered thing ... surface description ranking on the "top". other stuff to be found elsewhere. Most words and numbers are in there for specific reasons.

Regarding Robert's 73 voice, I prefer it to most other eras (69-71 still the best) as well. His full strength range degraded so fast (due to numerous vocal chord no-no's that have been recounted on the internet endless times), but when he finally embraced working within his new "range" he sounded fantastic on some nights in 73 - at least when all the stars were lined up, he was warmed up after opening numbers, etc. You can really hear it starting to happen in those January shows, particularly in the final stretch of the tour.

11 hours ago, JMH said:

A confession: you made me have a first go on the bootleg version of Dazed from 27th.

Tight. Will need to repeat the exercise.

I believe there are sources out there that combine sb portions from SRTS soundtrack with the rest of the performance in so so audio quality, but I could be wrong. Honestly, these days if I want to hear that version, I just listen to either the original 1976 soundtrack or the 2007 new version as most of it is from the 27th anyway. The 2007 version has grown on me so much, it's become my go-to. I was a purist when making the ranking, but now I prefer the smoother audio and don't care if it's "cheating" lol.

9 hours ago, JMH said:

Is the current spotify version the 2007? My CD is from the 90s remaster.

So easy to loose track on Page’s magick edits, haha.

I did a quick google search, and it looks like they have 2007 version but may also have 2018 remastered version labeled as "remastered"

On 1/20/2023 at 11:36 AM, 1975NQ said:

Thanks, man! Again, I appreciate the kind words. The writing piece of this project took 7 weeks in my off time so it's nice to hear the compliment. It's a layered thing ... surface description ranking on the "top". other stuff to be found elsewhere. Most words and numbers are in there for specific reasons.

Regarding Robert's 73 voice, I prefer it to most other eras (69-71 still the best) as well. His full strength range degraded so fast (due to numerous vocal chord no-no's that have been recounted on the internet endless times), but when he finally embraced working within his new "range" he sounded fantastic on some nights in 73 - at least when all the stars were lined up, he was warmed up after opening numbers, etc. You can really hear it starting to happen in those January shows, particularly in the final stretch of the tour.

I would agree with most of this, Robert’s voice 68-71 was otherworldly. However, I do feel and appreciate his 73 voice warts and all. There are certain songs that I prefer his 73 voice on. Rain song specifically, some of the NQ performances are just amazing. I would also note that his 75 voice when healthy was and has some of my favorite performances. His IMTOD at Earls Court may be one of the best vocal performances I’ve ever heard. It is interesting, my daughter is a singer/classical as well as pop, rock, blues etc. when she watches that performance he is singing from gut! It isn’t a throat performance. I would also say that his 77 voice on many songs were spectacular. Since I’ve been living you was incredible and for me took that song to another level. 79 for Kashmir, Achilles, and a few others at the Copenhagen shows were as good as it gets for me. 

I would like to say that 68-71 Plant, the power, the rawness of his voice was unlike anything anyone had ever heard. It was just breathtaking. Having said that, I can appreciate the vulnerability, the courage, the phrasing, delivery that he demonstrated and developed over the years. I personally think while he may have lost some of that raw power and damaged his voice, he absolutely in my opinion became a better singer overall. 

I don’t think 68-71 Plant could have performed IMTOD, Kashmir, Wanton, Custard, In the light, Ten Years, In the evening, All of my love, and maybe my favorite song ever I’m going to Crawl. I really want to say that I don’t have a favorite Zeppelin song. But I’m going to Crawl to book end their career is about as good as it gets. And I can’t begin to imagine Robert in 68,69,70,71 getting close to that performance, or the performances that I listed above. 71 Plant on TUF in my dumb opinion would not have sounded the same as it did in 75. 

I do dig and appreciate your topic here. It is awesome, great to go back and listen and get into that time period. 

Thank you NQ75

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...